Upcoming Lucky Thompson Select tracklisting

Mosaic's Scott Wenzel just mailed me the tracklisting of the upcoming Lucky Thompson Select - I copied the info from the e-mail and didn't edit it:

(A) CLARK TERRY SEPTET:

Supervised by Leonard Feather

NYC, June 2, 1954

54-S-248 Cat Meets Chick MGM E255

54-S-250 The Man I Love -

(B) DIZZY GILLESPIE:

Supervised by Norman Granz

NYC, September 15, 1954

1980-3 Cool Eyes Norgran MGN 1023

1982-2 Pile Driver -

© MODERN JAZZ SOCIETY: Gunther Schuller (frh, arr), J.J. Johnson (tb), Jim Politis (fl), Aaron Sachs (cl), Lucky Thompson (ts), Manny Ziegler (bassoon), Janet Putnam (harp), Percy Heath (b), Connie Kay (A), John Lewis (arr).

Supervised by Norman Granz

NYC, March 14, 1955

5002 Sun Dance (JL-arr) Norgran MGN 1040

5003 Django (GS-arr) -

5004 Little David’s Fugue (JL-arr) -

(D) JIMMY CLEVELAND AND HIS ALL STARS:

Supervised by Bob Shad NYC, August 12, 1955

11997-10 Hear Ye ! Hear Ye ! EmArcy MG 36066

11998-8 You Don’t Know What Love Is -

11999-9 Little Beaver -

(E) JIMMY CLEVELAND AND HIS ALL STARS:

Supervised by Bob Shad

NYC, November 19, 1955

12313-2 Count ‘Em EmArcy MG 36066

12314-5 Bone Brother -

(F) LUCKY THOMPSON: Lucky Thompson (ts), Skeeter Best (D), Oscar Pettiford (b).

Supervised by Creed Taylor

NYC, January 24, 1956

5070 Bo-Bi, My Boy ABC Paramount 111

5071 OP Meets LT -

5072 Tricotism -

5089 Body and Soul -

(G) LUCKY THOMPSON:

NYC, January 30, 1956

5086 Old Reliable ABC Paramount 111

5087 Translation -

5088 Tom-Kattin’ -

5073 Deep Passion -1 -

-1 omit Cleveland.

(H) LUCKY THOMPSON:

NYC, December 11, 1956

5380 Dancing Sunbeam ABC Paramount 171

5381 Mister Man -

5382 The Plain But Simple Truth -

5388 Little Tenderfoot -

(I) LUCKY THOMPSON:

NYC, December 12, 1956

5383A Once There Was ABC Paramount 171

5389 N.R (#1) -1 -

5390 N.R. (#2) -1 -

5391 Good Luck -1 -

-1 Add Jimmy Cleveland (tb) and Osie Johnson (A).

(J) LUCKY THOMPSON / SAMMY PRICE QUINTET:

Supervised by Paul Durand

Pigalle Theatre, Paris, July 6, 1957

I Want A Little Girl (SP-vcl) Polydor 46 103

Paris Blues -

Up Above My Head (SP-vcl) -

Minor Blues -

Sweet Georgia Brown -

How Long Blues (SP-vcl) -

Lucky T -

Embassy Boogie (SP-vcl) -

Edited by J.A.W.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great music, perhaps surprising that so few LT lead sessions are featured but the Cleveland, Terry , John Lewis sessions are very fine. The Sammy Price session was of course part of the Jazz in Paris series. I'd hoped the Decca sessions from 53/54 would have been included.

I'm still hoping for a Milt Jackson/Lucky Thompson Savoy set.

Oh yes, I'd love to see that!

This one here looks pretty good, and even though I have most or even all of it, it will be nice to have it all in one package, with the focus on Lucky in one of his prime periods!

I'm still hoping for a Milt Jackson/Lucky Thompson Savoy set.

Oh yes, I'd love to see that!

This one here looks pretty good, and even though I have most or even all of it, it will be nice to have it all in one package, with the focus on Lucky in one of his prime periods!

Same here, will be picking this one up as well.

Good to see new Selects being prepared even if I shall skip that Lucky Thompson. Already have several vinyl and CD versions of its content including an original copy of the Polydor session with Sammy Price (one of the very last vinyl I purchased a couple of months ago!).

I'll be waiting too for a complete Milt Jackson-Lucky Thompson on Savoy Select!

Hey Sidewinder, why not get both? Isn't that vinyl set generally pretty cheap? I remember seeing it as a cutout for a quite awhile. That's why I have two copies myself.

Funnily enough this one is also a cutout and they want £5 for it. May just pick it up next time I am in (always regretted not buying this one 'back in the day').

I'll be waiting too for a complete Milt Jackson-Lucky Thompson on Savoy Select!

That's where the Arista/Savoy 2LP set 'Second Nature' comes in useful. Superb compilation !

Edited by sidewinder

Good to see new Selects being prepared even if I shall skip that Lucky Thompson. Already have several vinyl and CD versions of its content including an original copy of the Polydor session with Sammy Price (one of the very last vinyl I purchased a couple of months ago!).

That's the same that was in the Jazz in Paris series, I assume? Not a bad session, mind me, but I think still a bit of an odd choice to go along the fine US sessions in this upcoming Select.

That's the same that was in the Jazz in Paris series, I assume? Not a bad session, mind me, but I think still a bit of an odd choice to go along the fine US sessions in this upcoming Select.

Yes, the same.

That Lucky Thompson Select must have been very difficult to assemble because of the copyright problems, what with the various record labels involved!

Having a soft spot for these 50s Lucky Thompson sessions (still need to unearth a couple of the French sessions - plus a few more! :D), I've had a look at the track listing and must say I am somewhat baffled.

Cam someone explain the underlying concept of these "Selects" to me?

What is the point of assembling incomplete, heterogeneous sessions while leaving others (less frequently reissued ones but at least LEADER sessions) out?

Considering how often people moan and wail about the omission of this and that track from sessions in reissue programming, I find this odd, especially in the case of a Mosaic reissue. And some of those albums included here aren't exactly thin on the ground reissue-wise anyway.

Or is it that "because it's on Mosaic it's bound to be essential"?

I realize this may be heresy to some around here but to me this kind of programming appears a bit redundant.

Going to spin the (complete) EmArcy Jimmy Cleveland (DG) vinyl now! ;)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

I guess the concept in this case is just to have a spotlight on a great musician in his prime years, compiling some sessions that many won't have (because the CDs are OOP, Japanese only, rare, hard to find, whatever).

Good enough for me - sort of similar to the Pres w/Basie set (which I still have to get).

Having a soft spot for these 50s Lucky Thompson sessions (still need to unearth a couple of the French sessions - plus a few more! :D), I've had a look at the track listing and must say I am somewhat baffled.

Cam someone explain the underlying concept of these "Selects" to me?

What is the point of assembling incomplete, heterogeneous sessions while leaving others (less frequently reissued ones but at least LEADER sessions) out?

Considering how often people moan and wail about the omission of this and that track from sessions in reissue programming, I find this odd, especially in the case of a Mosaic reissue. And some of those albums included here aren't exactly thin on the ground reissue-wise anyway.

Or is it that "because it's on Mosaic it's bound to be essential"?

I realize this may be heresy to some around here but to me this kind of programming appears a bit redundant.

Going to spin the (complete) EmArcy Jimmy Cleveland (DG) vinyl now! ;)

Why don't you ask Mosaic about the underlying concept of their Selects in general and this one in particular? I'm sure Scott Wenzel will be happy to answer your questions.

Edited by J.A.W.

I confess I know nothing about these sessions, but maybe these are the only tracks Lucky played or soloed on? Or perhaps they're just going for more of a compilation thing this time around as opposed to the usual "complete" route, in which case I personally trust their judgment.

Edited by colinmce

Well, the ABC Sessions and the date with Sammy Price seem to be complete on first sight.

Thompson was only on one of the Modern Jazz Society sessions, so that is complete as well. Not sure about the Dizzy and Cleveland dates, and there were a few more cuts from the Cats Meet Chicks session, but possibly the ones included are the LT feature plus the group track (while the other tracks featured the other present horn players).

Don't have the discs and discographies at hand to check, sorry.

But either way, the centerpiece here are the four magnificient ABC dates!