Upcoming Lucky Thompson Select tracklisting

How come no mention of 2 significant LT sessions:

1. Lucky Strikes! released on Transition label LP TRLP-21 and later as "Brown Rose" by Xanadu (LP 204) or Prevue on CD PR-10.

2. Lucky Strikes (with no exclamation point) released on Prestige LP PRLP-7365 and on CD OJC-194.

The Transition sides were recorded in Paris in 1956 are are particularly rare.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Transition sides were recorded in Paris in 1956 are are particularly rare.

Those sides were originally recorded for the Swing label which leased them to Transition.

The complete sessions are included in the Original Vogue Masters reissue of Lucky Thompson The Complete Recordings, vol. 2

51249N3K6XL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Re: Proper set:

BEWARE " Come Rain or Shine "is omitted as well as Thompson's ballad feature "Whats New" . Proper claims they will correct these problems sometime.

If the info here is accurate (I bet it is!), "What's New" is a trio feature! (See my post #29 above)

I thought #1 on the third disc was "Come Rain Or Come Shine"... just played it again and think it might well be, but they play some other kind of head. The chord progressions though sound like "Come Rain..." to my ears. I'm not 100% sure though... what would you say #1 on the third disc is, Bill?

BEWARE " Come Rain or Shine "is omitted as well as Thompson's ballad feature "Whats New" . Proper claims they will correct these problems sometime.

If the info here is accurate (I bet it is!), "What's New" is a trio feature! (See my post #29 above)

I thought #1 on the third disc was "Come Rain Or Come Shine"... just played it again and think it might well be, but they play some other kind of head. The chord progressions though sound like "Come Rain..." to my ears. I'm not 100% sure though... what would you say #1 on the third disc is, Bill?

#1 Disk 3 Angel Face

#1 Disk 4 Angel Face

Hank Jones trio selection is Azure in Ellington Medley,Whats New (Thompson's Selection is omitted)

#1 Disk 3 Angel Face

#1 Disk 4 Angel Face

Hank Jones trio selection is Azure in Ellington Medley,Whats New (Thompson's Selection is omitted)

Oh, crap! Didn't know that, thought I finally had those sessions complete!

So that leaves just B, F, G, H and I that don't appear to have been on CD before. That's two albums with Thompson as leader and two tracks on which he is a sideman.

Not quite true - sessions F, G, H and I appeared on the 1993 CD Tricotism, Impulse! GRD-135.

So that leaves just B, F, G, H and I that don't appear to have been on CD before.

F, G and H are on CD here:

3cf01363ada0b05e527fd010.L._AA300_.jpg

And so is session I.

Looks as though 'A Lady's Vanity' is the only track on the Tricotism cd that will not be included in the new Select.

??

• 10 months later...
  • 7 months later...

There'll be no Lucky Thompson Select. More news to follow later.

No Select? Well, I hope they will still be doing something with the Lucky Thompson material. I spoke with Fred at Mosaic a few weeks ago, and he still said that a Coleman Hawkins set (7cd?) and a Lucky Thompson would be out before the end of the year...well, keep us updated.

Did I hallucinate or was there a post saying there was to be a big box of LT material ??

I would certainly like an LT Big Box! :party:

No Select? Well, I hope they will still be doing something with the Lucky Thompson material. I spoke with Fred at Mosaic a few weeks ago, and he still said that a Coleman Hawkins set (7cd?) and a Lucky Thompson would be out before the end of the year...well, keep us updated.

Did I hallucinate or was there a post saying there was to be a big box of LT material ??

I would certainly like an LT Big Box! :party:

The Coleman Hawkins box is scheduled for release in November and it will have 7 CDs. As for Lucky Thompson, there will be no box in 2011. A big Chick Webb/Ella Fitzgerald box is planned for 2012.

The Coleman Hawkins box is scheduled for release in November and it will have 7 CDs. As for Lucky Thompson, there will be no box in 2011. A big Chick Webb/Ella Fitzgerald box is planned for 2012.

The Coleman Hawkins box will be a no brainer. Would love a Lucky Thompson Box (select or big box) any year . Chick Webb/Ella Fitzgerald box glad that will be 2012, financialy speaking. :)

• 1 year later...

You can say what you will about Jordi Pujol and Fresh Sound, but his compilations make sense, and among the latest is what so many board members requested:

c5765.jpg

Milt Jackson Quintet & Sextet, With Lucky Thompson (2 Cds)

Featuring: Joe Newman (tp), Lucky Thompson (ts), Milt Jackson (vib), Hank Jones, Wade Legge, John Lewis, Horace Silver (p), Wendell Marshall, Oscar Pettiford (b), Kenny Clarke, Connie Kay (d)

All the tracks scattered over four (!) Savoy and two Atlantic LPs collected on one double disc ... I made me a CDR from vinyl but welcome this release.

Link

Edited by mikeweil

Too bad it will sound only half as good as the Savoy/Denons ... I am becoming more and more in favour of Fresh Sound (not of all those stealin' labels, I still despise the bootleggers making money of unauthorized live shows) as none of the legal owners seem to bother to do anything anymore, but still, too many of these Fresh Sounds sound okay (as opposed to good). Too bad, really. But this IS an attractive package. Let's just hope they won't repeat the mistake Proper made in its Bags 4CD set! Good to see the trio track ("What's New") is there, too!