Tone Arm Safety Lifters

Dave James

The primary turntable in my system is a Thorens TD125. It's 100% manual in every sense of the word, so when the stylus hits the run out grooves, it just keeps going. Years ago I had a simple little device that would raise the tone arm off a record to prevent damage to the stylus, but that bad boy is long gone. You would think with the resurgence in the popularity of vinyl that something like this would be readily available, but that's not the case. There are a couple listed on eBay but I can't justify paying over $200 for something that probably cost $10.00 back in the day. Is anyone aware of a reasonably priced source for lifters? It would sure make my vinyl life a whole lot easier.

Consequently, there is a 1-beer limit to driving this deck.  :)

:g

... and who, by the way, would walk away while his precious platters are played back?

Seriously, I have some LPs with run-out grooves that are killing to the stylus. All you can do is mark them and stay alert. Thorens once designed a device that lifted the arm and stopped the drive at a certain adjusted distance from the center - but it wasn't popular because of the brutal sounding clack that abruptly ended the listening.

Can you explain this CD-age guy here why the run-out groove would damage the needle?

I can see that it will wear it down if you let it run for an hour, but why would it do any damage?

If the stylus remains in the run out groove, then in theory, no damage will be done. However, on more than one occasion, I have seen the stylus actually exit the run out groove and begin brushing up against the record label. That is not a good thing under any circumstances. Bottom line, I'd characterize the tone arm lifter as one of those better safe than sorry devices.

I've turned over every rock I can find on the internet and, while there's lots of discussion about lifters, actually finding one is like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack. Even if you do, the cost is outrageous:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alphason-Automatic-Tonearm-Lifter-RARE-NOS_W0QQitemZ150422640664QQcmdZViewItemQQptZTurntable_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2305e35818#ht_500wt_1182.

With more and more people either getting into or getting back into vinyl, it surprises me that someone hasn't recognized this opportunity and taken advantage of it. I'm sure it's only a matter of time. Hopefully, sooner than later. If I had even a rudimentary knowledge of metal fabrication, I'd give this a go myself.

Edited by Dave James

Can you explain this CD-age guy here why the run-out groove would damage the needle?

I can see that it will wear it down if you let it run for an hour, but why would it do any damage?

If the stylus remains in the run out groove, then in theory, no damage will be done. However, on more than one occasion, I have seen the stylus actually exit the run out groove and begin brushing up against the record label. That is not a good thing under any circumstances. Bottom line, I'd characterize the tone arm lifter as one of those better safe than sorry devices.

I've turned over every rock I can find on the internet and, while there's lots of discussion about lifters, actually finding one is like finding the proverbial needle in a haystack. Even if you do, the cost is outrageous:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Alphason-Automatic-Tonearm-Lifter-RARE-NOS_W0QQitemZ150422640664QQcmdZViewItemQQptZTurntable_Parts_Accessories?hash=item2305e35818#ht_500wt_1182.

With more and more people either getting into or getting back into vinyl, it surprises me that someone hasn't recognized this opportunity and taken advantage of it. I'm sure it's only a matter of time. Hopefully, sooner than later. If I had even a rudimentary knowledge of metal fabrication, I'd give this a go myself.

Ah, I see - that makes sense then!

i particularly like this one:

DSC01400.jpg

I have a work pal that is a god on the milling machine. Could one be machined out of nylon with a felt berm that would just allow the arm to ramp up to a stop, so no counterweights to get in the way. Looking at Claude's links that Thorens just "stuck" to the plinth via double stick tape.

How much would one be willing to pay for a hand made unit? I have a fully manual Rega that has no stop / lift so I'll do some asking as to what it would entail.

i particularly like this one:

DSC01400.jpg

I have a work pal that is a god on the milling machine. Could one be machined out of nylon with a felt berm that would just allow the arm to ramp up to a stop, so no counterweights to get in the way. Looking at Claude's links that Thorens just "stuck" to the plinth via double stick tape.

How much would one be willing to pay for a hand made unit? I have a fully manual Rega that has no stop / lift so I'll do some asking as to what it would entail.

Dig the vertical deflection limiter ! :D