Venus

Victor Christensen

I have a great sounding Bill Charlap trio CD on Venus, "S'Wonderful" - yes, it is.

One quibble with their sound - I do think there is some digital compression added in mastering, at least on this particular recording.

On the plus side that really brings details forward and makes things "pop" - you can even here Charlap's legs moving around and his foot in the pedals at the start of the first track.

On the down side, some of the dynamics are squashed, which can be a bit wearying on extended listening.

Again though, overall I think their CDs are very nice indeed.

Edited by DrJ

I've made this recommendation before, but the two Venus Moffett Family Jazz Band recordings are dynamite (especially The Magic of Love). Led by Charles Moffett, with his four sons on bass (Charnett), second drums (Cody), trumpet (Mondre) and tenor (Charles Jr.), and an honorary Moffett on piano, they were a very tight and electric group that I was lucky enough to see several times at the Caravan of Dreams in the late 1980s. It's a shame that the two horn playing sons don't seem to have pursued a career in music, as they both had distinctive and compelling styles.

DrJ and Dmitry posting....long time, no see.

Victor,

Venus is good, but what are you comparing them to? Pretty strong statement.

I buy their vinyl only...super product! Thick cardboard, great cover photos, dead quiet vinyl.

Engaging sound, but the sound is far from in the studio....enjoy just the same.

I recently purchased the "This Is Pat Moran" CD on eBay. I luckily received the Japanese Venus Records version and am I impressed! The sound is bright, clear and each instrument really stands out. The re-mastering job was excellent. I was not aware about the Venus quality until reading this thread and I now realize I inadvertently got a superior CD.

The primary reason for obtaining this CD was to get another performance by bassist Scott LaFaro. His work here is outatanding. Most of the pieces are upbeat and you get to hear Scott extensively in solo work as well as accompanying the piano of Pat Moran.

I have a couple of Venus SACDs and CDs, but I don't think their sound is exceptional. Many of them are too loud (compressed) and therefore lack subtlety. This is most noticeable in the bass which sounds slightly boomy and blurred. It's as if the engineers wanted to imitate Rudy Van Gelder's "fat" Blue Note sound.

I think there are other jazz labels who don't have the audiophile reputation of Venus but make better recordings.

Edited by Claude

I do agree that they make loud CDs. At the wine store where I work on Saturdays, I created an mp3 playlist of all ballads. Whenever the tracks from Eric Alexander's "Gentle Ballads" come on, they are noticeably louder. It's to the point where I am probably going to remove them from the playlist. It's annoying when some nice bluesey ballad ends and then when the next one starts, it's blaring away like you cranked up the volume.

The strangest thing about it is that the playlist has tracks from many labels and many artists. These Venus tracks are the only ones that get too loud.

Kevin

years ago I did some sound work for Venus on some reissues - a very slick pianist named Smith (can't remember the first name, was not Gene) and I think a Joe Albany, and a Walter Bishop. The original sources they usually gave me, as I recall, were pretty terrible (sounded like needle drops on Lps in very bad shape). I don't know if the stuff was ever issued.

Eh, Venus Records only puts out hard bop albums with guys like that boring Eric Alexander. They're not worth the money. If they were any good, I'd buy a few. As it is, I bet I only have 50 or so. :P

Disappointed to read the word "boring" next to Eric Alexander's....i'm trying to save some money to buy the Venus Ballads albums : is there anyone else who would have an opinion about them?

Thanks