neveronfriday

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

:g

The hat was to be for keg donations.

Oh, pardon me Guvnor, I shsee... ya drink from 'a hat affer ya get the keg. Sometimes I get 'ese things backwards! B)

I passed many a hat back in my prime drinking years. And I note that this board has now passed the 90,000 mark, with little fanfare... If I had a dollar for every post I made on Organissimo, I'd be, uh--I'd be posting even more! :excited:

Edited by ghost of miles

Needless to say, that must be a very rare bill, and I don't think it ever circulates outside of interbank transfers.

Has anyone ever seen a $500 bill. Do they even exist? I think they do. Is it Benjamin Harrison?

What is the largest bill anyone has ever seen?

For me it's the $100. Nothing higher.

All regular US bills (as opposed to silver certificates) in denominations greater than $100 were phased out of circulation in 1946. At the time, they were:

$500: William McKinley

$1000: Grover Cleveland

$5000: James Madison

$10000: Salmon P. Chase (Lincoln's Secretary of the Treasury)

There is an interesting listing of politicians on US money here.

Here's a $1000 bill on ebay. Yours for only....$1000!

How can it be for just $1000? I'm sure it would trade for higher than that owing to numismatic value.

I see there's a "tear" in it, though I can't see it in the picture.

High denomination bills will increase in numismatic value owing to scarcity.

All regular US bills (as opposed to silver certificates) in denominations greater than $100 were phased out of circulation in 1946. At the time, they were:

$500: William McKinley

$1000: Grover Cleveland

$5000: James Madison

$10000: Salmon P. Chase (Lincoln's Secretary of the Treasury)

There is an interesting listing of politicians on US money here.

Thanks for the info, Wheel.

I used to collect paper money, and have a lot of experience with the grading and so on, but I only collected Asian currencies.

Seems to me that with inflation, we'll be seeing some of these higher bills in circulation down the road. Of course, they will probably reissue them in the modern style.

Here's the link to the $1000 bill auction. The guy started it at a price of $1000 but I'm sure he knew he would be able to get more for it than that (and he already has).

Not sure about the notion that high-denomination bills will be brought back into circulation, even if inflation leads to much higher prices. In a society that now buys almost everything expensive with checks or credit cards, I don't see such a big need for them. My main ATM doesn't even dispense $100 bills, as far as I can tell.

• 2 weeks later...

less than 3000 to go! :g

we should have a poll to decide who gets to post #100,000! :P

Shouldn´t we leave this honour to our host member and administrator b-3er ? ^_^

I second that. The 10,000th post belongs to our generous and honorable host, B-3er :tup:tup

Edited by brownie