Decent-Tasting Instant Coffee?

I can't have a coffee maker and only rarely can I get away from my workday to visit a coffee shop. Seems like I've tried all "the usual suspects" for instant coffee (aside from Starbucks, which I refuse to patronize). Is it all swill, or is there something that vaguely resembles the real thing?

Over the years, the decaf/caf gap seems to have narrowed among brewed coffees. So how about a breakthrough on the "instant" front?

Ahhh yes, Nescafe. I can't say I'm as familiar with the Mexican version as some ofthe European, African and Asian versions, but I'd agree - better-than-average. The stuff I've gotten in the US, though, hasn't been up to snuff. Actually, it tasted like snuff.

Never had a cup of Starbucks that I didn't dislike.

For instant, the best I have had is Nescafé Taster's Choice 100% Columbian.

After WWII, when they introduced instant coffee in Denmark, there was only one brand: Nescafé. It became a generic term for instant coffee.

When I first came here (U.S.) as an adult, I fell in love with Horn & Hardart's coffee (hated the very thick cups, however)

Never tried the Café Bustelo Instant Espresso, but I'm going to order some up to be sent ahead to my next hotel.

:tup I used to practically live off Bustelo and Marlboro Reds. Quit smoking at least 15 years ago, and essentially gave up caffeine a couple of years ago after being strongly advised to by my doctor. I'll occasionally have a Coke or iced tea, but no more high-octane coffee - now it's decaf espresso for me (and I'm fully aware of the cognitive dissonance those two words tend to inspire when put together).

Never knew Bustelo had an instant version, but if it's comparable to the regular stuff it's gotta be good!

I thought the Trader Joe's instant was excellent, but then they discontinued it and replaced it with an acceptable but not nearly as good Columbian. Then, lo and behold, I saw last week-end that the original instant was back!

Trader Joe's often discontinues products due to poor sales (they're the Blue Note of grocery stores), but this is the first time I've ever seen them bring a product back. I will have to ask if a petition was signed or what.

Trader Joe's deserves its own thread; man, I love that place.

Bertrand.

When I was a kid, Nescafé was pretty good. But today, and for many years, all the instant that I have come across is battery acid.

When in England, if they say "We only have instant", go for the tea, lol. Seriously. (And, in America, avoid the tea, other than iced.)

Even though you are traveling around, why not get some real coffee and one of those conical Melitta filter holders? Then you can make some great coffee for yourself in your motel room. I did that for years in Motel 6s etc. It is just as quick as instant too.

A reasonably priced, but very nice coffee is Costco's "Kirkland Signature" Colombian, in a 3 1/2 lb tin. I use that every day, and I make it as I described - much quicker and you avoid having to clean all the bits of a coffee machine - and, the coffee doesn't stand on the hotplate, where a chemical reaction is taking place.

didn't PDQ write a Concerto for Horn and Hardart?

I've actually never had instant coffee. Probably because my father drank the stuff, and he was crazy. So I'm afraid it will make me crazy too (allright, easy set up for you guys) -

Yes, and it was almost as good as the coffee.