Duke: Carnegie Hall Concerts: 1943-1947

The set will include the concerts that were previously reissued on CD by Prestige:

- the January 1943 concert, 2 CD

- the December 1944 concert, 2CD

- the January 1946 concert, 2CD

- the December 1947 concert, a 2CD

Missing from the box should be the December 1943 concert that did not come out on Prestige but on Ember (later on Storyville).

Musthave items for Ellington fans. Others will have to decide themselves!

Nice to see that this great music will be reissued, but I really hope the sound on this new set will be a bit better than on the individual sets, which were marred by noise reduction.

It would be nice to have a good sounding Black, Brown, and Beige, the current one has a muffled and dull sound.

Yes, I would guess that the source disks are quite good sounding. The Prestige LPs sound much better than the cds.

These are mostly great concerts, and yes they are more than the same shows/tunes year after year. They're programmed, and feature new material as well as revisited material.

The set will include the concerts that were previously reissued on CD by Prestige:

- the January 1943 concert, 2 CD

- the December 1944 concert, 2CD

- the January 1946 concert, 2CD

- the December 1947 concert, a 2CD

I have those... and as others said, sound is less than good. It always takes me a few cuts to get over it and into the music, and then I just start from the beginning again (omitting God Save the Queen or whatever crappy chorale they have to start with) and all is fine... unless I read here that the new box is a major upgrade, I'll stick to what I have

Missing from the box should be the December 1943 concert that did not come out on Prestige but on Ember (later on Storyville).

That one's part of Storyville's "Duke Box", I think, right?

Don't have it at hand to check...

Love these records - at a time when Ellington records were not easy to come by I bought a couple of these. The sound isn't brilliant but much more than acceptable if you are used to hearing music from this era.

I love the way they are paced - well known things, suites, fresh off the block short pieces.

I don't need to replace what I've got, but anyone unfamiliar should buy without hesitation.

It would be nice to have a good sounding Black, Brown, and Beige, the current one has a muffled and dull sound.

The first part of BBB on that 1943 concert was from the January 28, 1943 concert in Boston because the sound from Carnegie was bad!

The audio from Boston's Symphony Hall was a bit better!

According to what I can gather, it is not!

For Duke at Carnegie in the 40s completists, there is also that 2CD on Vintage Jazz Classics from the November 13, 1948 concert

Duke-Ellington-Carnegie-Hall-November-13-1948.jpg

It contains what is supposed to be the only performance of 'Lush Life' by the Ellington orchestra!

Too bad they didn't restore the original concert order for 1943. "Koko," "Dirge," "Stomp" and "Are You Stickin'" were played after Black, Brown and Beige. Moving them made sense on LP, but easily fixed on CD. Another sign that JETman's suspicions about no new remastering may well be correct.

Is this still in print somewhere???

As for the new set... unless there's some new stuff... or a ridiculous price, I can't see myself doing it.

For Duke at Carnegie in the 40s completists, there is also that 2CD on Vintage Jazz Classics from the November 13, 1948 concert

It contains what is supposed to be the only performance of 'Lush Life' by the Ellington orchestra!

If I recall correctly (I used to have it at the radio station where I worked) Billy comes on stage to accompany Kay Davis in a vocal version -- no orchestra, and no Duke.

The Storyville "Duke Box" has the first half of the '43 concert on disc 5, and the remainder takes most of disc 6.

Is this still in print somewhere???

As for the new set... unless there's some new stuff... or a ridiculous price, I can't see myself doing it.

It appears to be long gone. I think I got my copy directly from the gentleman who owned Vintage Jazz Classics (can't remember his name) in the late 90s after it had gone OOP.

Bernie died a few years ago.

As I remember, the earlier CD reissues of some of the Carnegie Hall Concerts deleted one or more tracks. None of them is really complete, even on the LP sets, as the producer(s) tried to choose unusual material instead of the same favorites over and over.

[

It appears to be long gone. I think I got my copy directly from the gentleman who owned Vintage Jazz Classics (can't remember his name) in the late 90s after it had gone OOP.

I was able to find a copy on-line fairly recently (this past year, I think) though I have to admit at my age I consider recently to be anytime since the Beatles broke up.