Christian Scott YESTERDAY YOU SAID TOMORROW

Big Al

Thanks to the Concord newsletter and my own underlying right-wing paranoia, I got curious enough to listen to this on lala.com. So far, two tracks into it, I'm glad I did. The Miles influence is there, to be sure, but it sounds fresh enough to these ears that it sounds like it's actually going somewhere forward, instead of being a retread or a rehash.

Anyone else heard this or anything else by Scott?

(Side note: the Concord bio says Scott was in "Rachel Getting Married." It's been a while since I saw that; what part did he play?)

I have his last one :

pcwn8xy2qf11f7dh781.jpg

I'm on the fence with regards to him.

It's one of those recording where you think something is going to happen, but doesn't.

The DVD that was included looks like someone recorded it on a cheap camera, and doesn't enhance the package at all.

He may turn out to be the Marlon Jordan of the 2010's, or he may turn into something more substantial.

I love his take down on Wynton in his interview over at AAJ.

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=35665&pg=1

"I had Wynton tell me my music wasn't jazz because the main rhythm wasn't swing," Scott recalls. "He was like: 'If it's not swing, it's not jazz.' So I said to him: 'Louis Armstrong, Kid Ory, Scott Joplin, Jelly Roll Morton, Papa Joe Oliver—all these guys aren't jazz musicians. All of those early New Orleans guys are not jazz musicians.' He was like, 'no, they're jazz...' And I'm like 'no, they're not, based on what you just said, because swing was invented in Kansas City in the '20s! And jazz predates swing. That rhythm is a perversion of jazz, so how can you say this denotes what the music is when it's a perversion? It's an offset.' That was the first time I ever saw a Negro turn red. He was done."

"The problem is that jazz has turned into an academic thing. And what people don't realize is that it was done on purpose, because there's a horrible structure in jazz right now."So the problem with jazz musicians now is they're trying to figure out: 'Why do I still sound like John Coltrane? Or why do I still sound like Charlie Parker?' It's because when you were 10 years old some asshole told you to only listen to Parker and Coltrane and nothing else. So you only studied that, while the asshole who told you to do it was listening to Sonny Stitt, and he was listening to Sonny Rollins, and all this Stanley Turrentine, Gary Bartz and all this shit! And you let him tell you only to listen to these two people. This is why you can't compete with him. You've been bamboozled."

http://www.allaboutj...p?id=35665&pg=1

"I had Wynton tell me my music wasn't jazz because the main rhythm wasn't swing," Scott recalls. "He was like: 'If it's not swing, it's not jazz.' So I said to him: 'Louis Armstrong, Kid Ory, Scott Joplin, Jelly Roll Morton, Papa Joe Oliver—all these guys aren't jazz musicians. All of those early New Orleans guys are not jazz musicians.' He was like, 'no, they're jazz...' And I'm like 'no, they're not, based on what you just said, because swing was invented in Kansas City in the '20s! And jazz predates swing. That rhythm is a perversion of jazz, so how can you say this denotes what the music is when it's a perversion? It's an offset.' That was the first time I ever saw a Negro turn red. He was done."

"The problem is that jazz has turned into an academic thing. And what people don't realize is that it was done on purpose, because there's a horrible structure in jazz right now."So the problem with jazz musicians now is they're trying to figure out: 'Why do I still sound like John Coltrane? Or why do I still sound like Charlie Parker?' It's because when you were 10 years old some asshole told you to only listen to Parker and Coltrane and nothing else. So you only studied that, while the asshole who told you to do it was listening to Sonny Stitt, and he was listening to Sonny Rollins, and all this Stanley Turrentine, Gary Bartz and all this shit! And you let him tell you only to listen to these two people. This is why you can't compete with him. You've been bamboozled."

:g :g :g :g :g :g :g :g :g :g

Edited by JSngry

• 2 years later...

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/php/article.php?id=35665&pg=1

This sounds like a conversation that was on Treme a couple of weeks ago.

I like Scott's 'Anthem' and 'Live at Newport' sets a lot, and that was having been predisposed to expect to not like them. Found his debut got bogged down after a couple of strong tracks at the beginning - the writing wasn't there yet, but is on those other two sets. Look forward to hearing more by him, and there are few in his generation I say that about.

Saw Donald Harrison at the Detroit Jazz festival this year. He introduced his nephew who came out and played. I kept saying to myself, I've seen this trumpet player before and finally realized it was Christian Scott right before Mr. Harrison stated his name. First time I found out it was his nephew. Scott is a really fine player!!