Mosaic to reissue OOP sets in Europe

I took advantage of the End of March sale and ordered three sets (Stitt, Tyner and the first Hill). I also took the opportunity to ask if they had any new plans considering their current dire financial state. Scott told me that they are in the process of setting up a separate European company, Mosaic Europe. On that they will reissue OOP box sets that contain music over 50 years old, thus taking advantage of the European copyright laws, since no new rights will have to be obtained for recordings that have entered the public domain. This means that OOP sets with music recorded before 1960 can be reissued this year.

These European Mosaics can’t be sold directly in the U.S., but nothing prevents U.S. individuals from ordering them of course.

This step is taken for one reason solely: To enable Mosaic to survive. Hopefully Mosaic Europe will turn out to be a more successful idea than Mosaic Contemporary.

Reliable sources indicate that the first European Mosaic will be the Complete Edison Recordings of Buddy Bolden, a.k.a I Remember Bunk, The Music of Willie G. Johnson. Sadly, industry insiders have also revealed that the set is to be issued on a single wax cylinder as a result of an agreement with representatives of the Bolden estate who were concerned with maintaining the authenticity of the cornetist's original sound. The following recordings will be included on the cylinder:

1) Ace In The Hole

2) Alexander's Rag Time Band

3) Ballin' The Jack

4) Arkansas Blues

5) Mama's Gone Goodbye

6) Ace In The Hole (alt. tk #1)

7) Ace In The Hole (alt. tk #2)

8) Buddy Bolden Interview.

EMI - half owners of Mosaic - already do this of course. If we imagine that EMI or Sony pay royalties to artists where they are not contractually obliged to do so we are dreaming. So a pre-1960 RVG or KoB sale in Europe is worth no more to the artist or their estate than an Andorran sale. Good joke of course!

Edited by David Ayers