2010 MLB Season

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Baseball and Cubs fans in particular are highly advised to tune into ESPN right now.

I'm already there :)

Wow, the cubs actually won a game! that is worth turning in for! :P

Dan, your team could trade a bag of balls for Chris Resop, or just wait for the Braves to release him....still can't figure out why braves haven't brought him up, and no team has apparently asked for him.

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2010/jun/13/mlb-locals-resop-should-know-big-league-fate-soon/

If the answer is Chris Resop, the question must be mighty stupid.

Just kidding - but I see nothing in his major league career to indicate that he'd be anything but perhaps a league average pitcher especially in the A.L. The Sox might as well just call up Bowden or Doubront from Pawtucket. And one thing with pitchers, you can DL them retroactive to the day after they last pitched. That makes his stint on the DL 11 days instead of 15, and with today's off-day, I am betting they can keep everyone lined up and skip at least one of his missed starts. So its probably only a matter of bringing someone up for one start, and that might as well be the young kid to give him a taste of his future.

If the answer is Chris Resop, the question must be mighty stupid.

Just kidding - but I see nothing in his major league career to indicate that he'd be anything but perhaps a league average pitcher especially in the A.L. The Sox might as well just call up Bowden or Doubront from Pawtucket. And one thing with pitchers, you can DL them retroactive to the day after they last pitched. That makes his stint on the DL 11 days instead of 15, and with today's off-day, I am betting they can keep everyone lined up and skip at least one of his missed starts. So its probably only a matter of bringing someone up for one start, and that might as well be the young kid to give him a taste of his future.

Well, he had a 100 MPH fastball back in 2008, but I hear he tries to go more with 2 seamers and other pitches nowadays. Plus, he's only 27 and this is the first time he has started for any length of time(13 starts this year) and a 1.84 ERA in 73 innings, with 81 strikeouts...I would think was worth a risk.

Istead, the Jeff Suppan's of the world get another chance(to be fair, his e.r.a is only 7.84)

Most likely the braves will call him up to be a reliever, and he will get in one game a week....sigh....

Man--crazy game in the Bronx tonight. The Yankees, who've generally been owned by Halladay his whole career, have roughed him up for five runs in three innings so far. But CC, who pitched really well the first three innings, has now given up three runs in the fourth, with runners at first and third now and only one out, putting Philadelphia right back in the game.

Edited by ghost of miles

A bizarre home/away negative image right now for the Yanks and Rays, who remain tied atop the AL East after last night's games. The Yankees are 23-7 at home and 18-16 on the road. The Rays are 18-15 at home and 23-8 on the road. blink.gif

The Yankees split is what you would generally expect. The Rays' split is very unusual, to say the least.

Looks like my Giants finally figured out the Boyz from Oaktown with a three game sweep....then got the best of the O's. A scary moment for Lincecum, though.

A good homestand for my guys :g

Edited by GoodSpeak

Moyer's looking his age tonight...

JM's final totals: 1 inn. 9 hits. 8 earned runs six of the hits were doubles and one home run. That was one ugly start.

How old is he looking tonight??? ^_^

interesting chart on Moyer

go down the page to pitch type and check out how consistent his fastball "speed" has been since 2002.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1091&position=P

2 complete games this year, and 8 innings in Yankee stadium tonight, amazin"!

He schooled us. (I wonder if NY was feeling a bit cocky after having knocked Halladay around last night.) We mounted a bit of a comeback against Lidge in the bottom of the 9th--enough to get Jorge up to the plate as the tying run, but he struck out swinging to end it.

Hey Berigan, thanks to your Braves for beating Tampa Bay tonight, enabling NY to stay tied with them for 1st. Man, you can hardly afford to drop a single game if you want to contend for the AL East! And now Boston's only three games back of them both.

Edited by ghost of miles

And with tonight's win, Boston is now 7-0-3 in its last ten series. So its basically been over a month since they lost a series which isn't too shabby. Pedroia is pulling out of his horrific slump now that his knee is better; Dice-K will throw a bullpen soon and should come off the DL as soon as he's eligible and Beckett is finally reporting no concerns with his back.

If they ever reach that state it would be interesting to see how they perform with Ellsbury on the field every day and Beckett pitching every five days (so long as he pitches like he's supposed to). Thank God for Lester and Buchholz and Ortiz and Beltre.

And Manny and Mr. Torre return to Fenway on Friday. I have a feeling Manny is going to get booed and Joe will get a nice warm round of applause.

And with tonight's win, Boston is now 7-0-3 in its last ten series. So its basically been over a month since they lost a series which isn't too shabby. Pedroia is pulling out of his horrific slump now that his knee is better; Dice-K will throw a bullpen soon and should come off the DL as soon as he's eligible and Beckett is finally reporting no concerns with his back.

If they ever reach that state it would be interesting to see how they perform with Ellsbury on the field every day and Beckett pitching every five days (so long as he pitches like he's supposed to). Thank God for Lester and Buchholz and Ortiz and Beltre.

And Manny and Mr. Torre return to Fenway on Friday. I have a feeling Manny is going to get booed and Joe will get a nice warm round of applause.

On the NESN pre-game show they had a stat that claimed the Red Sox have the best record in all of MLB since

April 20th.

Thats pretty amazing especially considering all the different outfielders that have filled in and Beckett missing

what now, a month?.....and they still need some bullpen help you can't use Bard in every single game or he will be toast by Aug.

No doubt the bullpen needs help with Ramirez and Okajima suddenly stinking up the place all year long. Okajima I can sort of understand just because he's gotten by on deception and pinpoint control since its not like his stuff is so great. But Ramirez has been such a consistent reliever I thought that the "most relievers have big variation in results form year to year" rule didn't apply. Turns out that it did. Not sure how long can they continue with MDC getting critical outs but they don't have much choice right now. I'm hoping this Dustin Richardson can do the job, at least as a power lefty. Big strikeout rate but he's also had some control issues.

And it will be Doubront on Friday against the Dodgers. But most of the country will get Strassburg's next start. This is really getting to be ridiculous. Are the Nationals going to get national coverage everytime this guy throws? He's good but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I realize this is a little early to be talking about Free Agents but I found this great link by the Sons of Sam Horn site on MLB rules & procedures. I was never sure exactly how draft compensation worked...

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/wiki/index.php/MLB_Rules_and_Procedures#Compensation_for_Teams_Whose_Free_Agents_Sign_Elsewhere

And it will be Doubront on Friday against the Dodgers. But most of the country will get Strassburg's next start. This is really getting to be ridiculous. Are the Nationals going to get national coverage everytime this guy throws? He's good but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Dan, now you are getting just a teeny tiny taste of seeing every freaking Red Sox-Yankee game on ESPN. Oh boy, another 4 hour + game, and no baseball tonight, pinch me! :P

It's only his 3rd start, and he's struck out 22 in 12 innings. I'm sure after 4-5 starts there won't be as much coverage, but I bet ratings will be quite high.

With Strassberg it's ratings and buzz- he's got both. It reminds me of when Dwight Gooden or Fernando Valenzuela broke in. By showing Strassberg on national TV, maybe seomeone who's not a hardcore fan will tune in, ratings rise, more revenue, more people talking baseball, etc

Well, in a few more minutes here (assuming the Yankee bullpen ever gets out of the top of the 9th), Boston will be only two games behind Tampa Bay and New York--New York being on the verge of yet again dropping a series to a team with a better-than-.500 record. Andy Pettitte turned in another very good performance tonight that will go to waste courtesy of an anemic offense (what's the deal, anyway? We knocked Halladay around, then got dominated by two much-lesser pitchers), topped off by another disastrous Joba sighting (no outs, three runs allowed) in the top of the 9th that's made any chance of a NY comeback remote at best.

Edited by ghost of miles

14 homers is the second most Big Papi has hit in his first 55 games in his career, which makes you wonder whether the guy could end up with 40+ if he stays healthy and puts up his typical July-August-September numbers. This time last year I think he had about 5 and ended up with 28. If he hits 35+ how does Theo send him away? Of course, if he hits 35+ he might get a two year deal with an option or something ridiculous that Theo won't match. ou gotta come back on the Sox' terms or its sayonara.

But for this year there is no doubt the lineup is different with Ortiz hitting (not to mention what Beltre has done). Pedroia-Ortiz-Youk-VMart-Drew-Beltre is a pretty tough 2-7. I'd still like to see what the offense could do with Ellsbury leading off and Scutaro's .360 OBP at the bottom of the lineup. Not to mention Cameron doing some damage like he used to do (not sure when that will happen with his lingering abdominal problem).

On the bad side Lackey continues to disappoint even if the bats saved him and he got a win today (that's three starters with 8 or more wins). But Beckett and Dice are on track and Manny returns to Fenway tomorrow with a 22 year old stud making his debut. Yanks face the Mets with Pelfrey and Santana going Saturday and Sunday so that's a tough series for them.

Man, if you had told me a week or so ago that the Braves would take 2 of 3 from the 1st place Twins and the first place Rays, I wouldn't have believed it! :excited: And that's with Heyward being very cold(except for a homer last night-he has a bad thumb) and basically only getting walks out of Chipper Jones.

Did ya'll know that Martin Prado is hitting .337, and his 96 hits are second only to Robinson Cano? And to think he was labeled a utility player.

Paps, what is it the Rays need??? Just for Upton to start hitting???