2010 MLB Season

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it was supposed to be like this from the very start for Seattle. Great outings by Lee & Hernandez, 3-5 starters breaking even. Gosh, has the back end of the rotation ever let this team down -- and don't even mention Bradley. It's too late to make up the ground, and it looks like Lee will be gone by the All Star break, what a wasted year.

John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman are brutal announcers. How do Yankee fans put up with them? with their wondering conversations that lead no where..... :tdown

I try not to listen on the radio- Sterling and Waldman are two of the worst announcers around, regardless of the sport. On the TV side, Michael Kay is frequently annoying. I try to watch the games on TV with the sound off!

Nice profile of Mo Rivera in this coming Sunday's NY Times. I watched the MLB film of the '96 WS tonight--strange and rather moving to see Jeter, Pettitte, and Rivera all at the start of their careers on that year's team, to think how key all three players were to last year's championship, and to realize again that this may be the last season they all play together. Lots of shots, too, of Girardi as the catcher. I also forgot that Joe Torre's brother finally got his heart transplant the day before their Game 6 win, and that the team did a lap around the field at Yankee Stadium afterwards, waving thanks and goodbye to the fans. That whole year was ridiculously storybook.

Speaking of storybook and such, I'll admit to being a bit primed to see Ken Burns' THE TENTH INNING this September. Some main themes will be the steroid era, the emergence of another Yankees dynasty, and the Red Sox' incredible run in 2004. (Isn't Burns a Bosox fan? I thought I read somewhere that he said he probably wouldn't have made this sequel if the Bosox hadn't won in '04 and '07. ^_^ )

Nice profile of Mo Rivera in this coming Sunday's NY Times. I watched the MLB film of the '96 WS tonight--strange and rather moving to see Jeter, Pettitte, and Rivera all at the start of their careers on that year's team, to think how key all three players were to last year's championship, and to realize again that this may be the last season they all play together. Lots of shots, too, of Girardi as the catcher. I also forgot that Joe Torre's brother finally got his heart transplant the day before their Game 6 win, and that the team did a lap around the field at Yankee Stadium afterwards, waving thanks and goodbye to the fans. That whole year was ridiculously storybook.

Speaking of storybook and such, I'll admit to being a bit primed to see Ken Burns' THE TENTH INNING this September. Some main themes will be the steroid era, the emergence of another Yankees dynasty, and the Red Sox' incredible run in 2004. (Isn't Burns a Bosox fan? I thought I read somewhere that he said he probably wouldn't have made this sequel if the Bosox hadn't won in '04 and '07. ^_^ )

Ken Burns "documentary" centered on New York & Boston baseball??? No way!!!!!!!!! ;)

OH MY FUCKING GOD

Varitek broke HIS foot and is out six weeks.

It truly is over and done with.

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

The addition of Manny Delcarmen and Varitek will give the Red Sox 10 players on the disabled list — five since June 24. So far, the Sox have had players miss 424 games while on the disabled list.

That number is about to go way up.

No fucking shit.

File this under Be Careful For What You Wish For.

Apparently, I wasn't clear enough about who needed to be on the receiving end of a sweep.

The Giants never got off the bus Wednesday...and now they trade Molina for a pitcher??? Um, HUH?

The Gigantes need bats not pitchers.

What an embarrassing homestand. In short, screw the Dodgers and their arrogant fans. Twice.

Grrrr. :angry:

Hard to say what's more pitiful--the Yankees' continuing lackluster offense, or Joba Chamberlain (he of the 5.40 ERA) racking up the bullpen's ninth blown save of the year today. We need to be steaming ahead right now, building up a solid lead over the Bosox and Rays (esp. while the Bosox are riddled with injuries) and instead among those three it's nearly anybody's division day-by-day. From the write-up at Pinstripe Alley:

The only positive to take from this tough loss were the 6.2 shutout innings from A.J. Burnett. He was locating his fastball with precision and showed decent enough command of the curveball to keep hitters honest.

Unfortunately, Joba looked much the way he has all year: no command, inconsistent velocity, falling behind hitters. In fact, he was lucky he conceded just one run - Brett Gardner made a spectacular leaping grab against the leftfield wall to rob Alex Gonzalez of extra-bases. Somehow, it just felt like Joba would let Toronto tie the game there.

Everything truly fell apart in the 11th. Dave Robertson and Chan Ho combined to let in five runs, ending any chance of a comeback.

The hitters went 0-fer the day with RISP (0-8 to be exact), highlighted by coming up with nothing after loading the bases with none out in the third. Brett Cecil walked six Yankees, yet somehow escaped jam after jam. The only run scored on a sac-fly way back in the first. They failed to score in the next ten frames. Derek Jeter hasn't had an RBI in 15 games, the longest stretch of his career. The offense just hasn't been right for weeks now. They might score a bunch in one game, but will then look lost the next two. Since the eight-run game against Roy Halladay on June 15th, they've scored four runs or less in 11 of the 15 games since (with a 7-8 record).

Edited by ghost of miles

Lots of shots, too, of Girardi as the catcher.

I always thought Girardi's triple to dead center field off Greg Maddox was the key hit in that World Series. I was drinking a bottle of Widmer Hefeweizen when the Yankees won that Series. I still have the bottle cap.

OH MY FUCKING GOD

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

No fucking shit.

Dan,

Listen to yourself. Last year at this time you would have killed for Varitek to break his foot.

There's a huge difference between a first string catcher who can't hack it any longer and, having lost the starting catcher for an indeterminate time and having the third and fourth string catchers out of spring training be on the DL at Pawtucket then losing the backup, thus leaving you with a fifth string catcher and a career minor leaguer to try to hold down the fort. On top of that, there is a level of comfort between certain pitchers and Varitek (Dice-K, Beckett, Buchholz) which is now gone.

How would you feel if the Yankees lost Posada, Cervelli, and the next two catchers on the depth chart? Even with the depth the Yankees supposedly have, I suspect you'd be mighty worried if the fifth best catcher in the system was going to be a full time starter.

There's a huge difference between a first string catcher who can't hack it any longer and, having lost the starting catcher for an indeterminate time and having the third and fourth string catchers out of spring training be on the DL at Pawtucket then losing the backup, thus leaving you with a fifth string catcher and a career minor leaguer to try to hold down the fort. On top of that, there is a level of comfort between certain pitchers and Varitek (Dice-K, Beckett, Buchholz) which is now gone.

How would you feel if the Yankees lost Posada, Cervelli, and the next two catchers on the depth chart? Even with the depth the Yankees supposedly have, I suspect you'd be mighty worried if the fifth best catcher in the system was going to be a full time starter.

Yes and with all that being said we WIN tonight and are only a half game behind the Yankees!

When is Beckett coming back?.....is it unreasonable to think that Beckett, Ellsbury and V. Martinez will be back after the All Star break?

When is Beckett coming back?.....is it unreasonable to think that Beckett, Ellsbury and V. Martinez will be back after the All Star break?

It is hoped that V-Mart is ready to go right after the break. Beckett is targeting July 21 or July 25 depending on how his rehab starts go. Ellsbury isn't even cleared to start baseball activities. They'd be lucky to see him in uniform by the second week in August unless he picks up the pace.

And I hate to burst anyone's bubble but you can't hope to hang in the division with Billy Hall at second base and Cory Patterson's crappier younger brother playing LF. And it will be weeks with that lineup - not to mention a shitty Molina or Kevin Cash at the bottom of the lineup.

Lots of shots, too, of Girardi as the catcher.

I always thought Girardi's triple to dead center field off Greg Maddox was the key hit in that World Series. I was drinking a bottle of Widmer Hefeweizen when the Yankees won that Series. I still have the bottle cap.

OH MY FUCKING GOD

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

No fucking shit.

Dan,

Listen to yourself. Last year at this time you would have killed for Varitek to break his foot.

Shazzam.

I love how the fans of the teams with the two best records in baseball keep trying to tell us they're in deep crap. Geesh! :rolleyes: I would love to see the team I follow just make it to .500

Yeah, you'd think they were straining to stay above .400. For us 3rd place is a long ride up. What do we have to root for? Uh...gosh, Ichiro is the front runner to lead the AL in singles. :rhappy:

I love how the fans of the teams with the two best records in baseball keep trying to tell us they're in deep crap. Geesh! :rolleyes: I would love to see the team I follow just make it to .500

Yeah, you'd think they were straining to stay above .400. For us 3rd place is a long ride up. What do we have to root for? Uh...gosh, Ichiro is the front runner to lead the AL in singles. :rhappy:

When you're a game and a half out of missing the playoffs, despite this "best record" business, you'd predict disaster too if you were hit with such a boatload of injuries.

Agreed.

And the disasters keep multiplying. Of course they were a little too optimistic about Buchholz's hamstring injury and he will now be placed on the DL. So he misses at least two starts, and they will in all likelihood once again go with that 21 year old rookie on the road in Tampa and then against Cleveland. Unless Tampa slumps - and it looks like they are righting the ship - I'd say we're headed again for third place.