2010 MLB Season

The two two-run home runs Hughes surrendered to the Blue Jays today were both on 0-2 counts. How does that happen? Since June 19th, his record is 6-6. Much cause for concern.

Yes indeed, making Andy's return all the more pressing. I think Hughes and A.J. still make the postseason rotation, with Javy out of the bullpen for long relief (where he's actually done quite well--and given A.J. and Hughes' performances this summer, I have no doubt we'll need some a long-relief bailout for at least one of them come the first or--hopefully--second round of the playoffs this autumn).

On non-Yankee notes, anybody else catch the end of the Rangers-Twins game today? Bummer of a way for Texas to lose...and San Diego loses again. Has any team leading its division ever lost 10 straight and still managed to cling to the lead? Matthew, calling Matthew... the Padres need some divine intervention!

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man the braves suck right now....even the Pirates can clean their clock right now....toss any ol' leftie with a pulse, and they turn into a bunch of 90 year old grannies at the plate...I think the Phils will take the east at this point...

Which Phillies would that be?/ The ones that could only manage one hit off a pitcher making his first MLB start yesterday? Or the Phillies that scored 7 runs in the night cap of yesterday's doubleheader for the win?? The Phillies bats are schizophrenic.

Oh well at least we don't have to worry about the Mets catching either team. :P

Should an umpire be able to throw a fan out of the game for heckling?

Once heard of a minor league game where the ump threw out the organ player for playing "Three Blind Mice."

EDIT: apparently the guy was cited for disorderly conduct as well. For heckling at a ballgame? Did he do anything else? If not, this is ridiculous, IMO.

Edited by papsrus

Re: Rays-Sox rundown play:

So, the bag belongs to the guy caught in the rundown between third and home, and the trailing runner is out if the guy in the rundown gets back to third while the trailing runner is also standing on it?

(I have the sound off, listening to music, so didn't hear the explanation.)

Who the HELL is Nate Robinson?? I had never heard of him before tonight when he entered the 8th w/ a 10 run cushion. He left after facing 8 batters, letting 5 of them score and a man on 3rd. I just checked his stats and he was DFA by the Marlins back in July. WTF? What's even crazier is that he's making $10M this season.

Jesus now it's 10-6 Phillies. Thank goodness the Marlins only have 3 more outs.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

Yes, but I believe the runner who co-occupies the base must be tagged out.

What happened was, the base runner coming from second was standing on the third when the player who was caught in the rundown between 3rd and home slid back into third without being tagged. Two players now on the same bag.

The guy who had slide into third from the rundown was then tagged while holding the bag, and the third base umpire signaled an out. After signaling the out, the umpire pointed to the base runner who had come from second base, indicating he was the one who was out, not the guy who slid back into third from the rundown.

Meanwhile, the player caught in the rundown started trotting away immediately after the ump signaled an out, figuring he was the out. Then he suddenly realized he was still in play, and so he got caught in a second rundown, and this time he was tagged out. Two outs.

Weird play. I had always assumed whoever got to the bag first was the one who owned it. But not judging from that play. I didn't actually hear the explanation, so maybe my eyes deceived me, but I don't think so.

Shades of last year's blown call in Game 4 of the ALCS:

Posada and Cano tagged out, Cano called safe

Cano would have been theoretically safe as the trail runner if he'd had his foot on the bag, but he didn't--blown call on the ump's part to rule Cano safe anyway. Ultimately it didn't matter, as NY was up 5-0 at the time and went on to win the game handily, but it was one of several bizarre ump misfires during the 2009 postseason.

Anybody taking the Rangers even half-seriously?

Sure am!

As Dan has pointed out with high hopes, if NY ends up as wild-card they'll have to face Texas & Cliff Lee twice in a 5-game series. Granted, Lee has been quite a letdown so far for TX, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him regain form against the Yanks in a playoff situation.

More reasons to be royally pissed off at the baseball gods.

The funny thing about the baseball gods is that despite an injury riddled season and

not having Youk & Pedroia it all comes down to Papelbon,Take away his 7 BLOWN saves and the Sox are leading in the wild card race!

That is kinda amazing...still think that Francona should be voted manager of the year.

The funny thing about the baseball gods is that despite an injury riddled season and

not having Youk & Pedroia it all comes down to Papelbon,Take away his 7 BLOWN saves and the Sox are leading in the wild card race!

That is kinda amazing...still think that Francona should be voted manager of the year.

As of today the Phillies have the best record in the NL. Something that was unthinkable just a few weeks ago. Amazing that they have the same record as they did last year at this time, except this year they have had 17 players on the DL. 17!

That's not a realistic situation. I don't have the stats in front of me but he must average 4 blown saves a year. You can't eliminate all of his blown saves and say they should be leading the wild card. He ain't Mariano Rivera. So, realistically, you could say that if papelbon hadn't sucked donkey dicks this season then they might be closer to playoff contention.