2010 MLB Season

Assuming the Giants hold on to win tonight, I think this will be a tougher loss to bounce back from than the 8th-inning collapse against the Yankees in the ALCS. In that game Texas outplayed NY; tonight their ace got blown off the mound. Plus they'll be coming back for Game 2 still on the road & not in the friendly confines of Rangers Ballpark. So yeah, it'll be a tougher test than the ALCS, but they're at the ultimate level now. I'd say pretty much what I said after they lost Game 1 of the ALCS--focus on winning Game 2 and nothing else, because then you'll be headed back to Texas for three games in a row, including another start from Mr. Lee that will surely go much, much better than tonight's did.

The test is now going to be for the rest of the staff - now that Lee has not set the tone, which, if any of them, will? They all have greateness in them, but they also all harbor disaster. It's time to decide. Will the hitters bounce back? I like the way the came back for 2, even if that's all the more they get, a lot of teams, including the old Rangers, would not have mustered that.

I like to win, obviously, but for me, sports are ultimately about character tests. And if is is the Rangers' fate to lose this series, I want them to lose it with character, not with shame. And if they win, same thing.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

game ain't over with that Rangers offense.

A three-run dinger would put 'em right back in it. There's a big psychic difference IMO between a four-run and a six-run lead.

Will the hitters bounce back? I like the way the came back for 2, even if that's all the more they get, a lot of teams, including the old Rangers, would not have mustered that.

I thought the same thing, esp. after Lincecum struck out the first two batters that inning. A lot of teams would have been so devastated by their invincible ace getting knocked out of the game that they would have pretty much rolled over at that point and died for the rest of the night. Instead they kept it a contest.

Assuming the Giants hold on to win tonight, I think this will be a tougher loss to bounce back from than the 8th-inning collapse against the Yankees in the ALCS. In that game Texas outplayed NY; tonight their ace got blown off the mound. Plus they'll be coming back for Game 2 still on the road & not in the friendly confines of Rangers Ballpark. So yeah, it'll be a tougher test than the ALCS, but they're at the ultimate level now. I'd say pretty much what I said after they lost Game 1 of the ALCS--focus on winning Game 2 and nothing else, because then you'll be headed back to Texas for three games in a row, including another start from Mr. Lee that will surely go much, much better than tonight's did.

The test is now going to be for the rest of the staff - now that Lee has not set the tone, which, if any of them, will? They all have greateness in them, but they also all harbor disaster. It's time to decide. Will the hitters bounce back? I like the way the came back for 2, even if that's all the more they get, a lot of teams, including the old Rangers, would not have mustered that.

I like to win, obviously, but for me, sports are ultimately about character tests. And if is is the Rangers' fate to lose this series, I want them to lose it with character, not with shame. And if they win, same thing.

Yeah, no one wants to go out like the 1985 St. Louis Cardinals. :bad:

Assuming the Giants hold on to win tonight, I think this will be a tougher loss to bounce back from than the 8th-inning collapse against the Yankees in the ALCS. In that game Texas outplayed NY; tonight their ace got blown off the mound.

Is there any question now that the Giants of the last 10 days or so are a significantly better team than the Yankees? They alos seem to still be peaking. Rangers might have already peaked beating the Yankees.

But you never know, really. We've all seen enough baseball to know that today is not necessarily a predictor of tomorrow, although once a trend gets rolling...

Very sad seeing Vlade playing so bad in the outfield, he use to be good. :(

Yes--didn't somebody upstream point out that Guerrero might be problematic for the Rangers in the road games? Those two plays reminded me of watching Marcus Thames this year for the Yankees whenever he took the field...a development that never failed to make Pinstripe Alley posters break out in hives.

But you never know, really. We've all seen enough baseball to know that today is not necessarily a predictor of tomorrow, although once a trend gets rolling...

Apologies to Berigan, but the Braves beat the Yankees 12-1 in Game 1 of the '96 series. And that didn't end well for the Braves.

It's not supposed to be sunny tomorrow either so with no twilight shadows to deal with, so it could be another um...not low scoring game.

Edited by Quincy

^ going in to this it seemed that Texas would have the advantage because the Giants don't really have a legitimate DH but Vlad is such a butcher in the field now its interesting to see if Wash plays him in game 2. The giants have the toughest right field in baseball so you can't really hide someone out there even if they are a good hitter. You have to have Vlad in the line up but where?

oh and GO GIANTS!

^ and lots of rain expected here on Thursday, could mess everything up pitching wise.

Edited by WorldB3

Very sad seeing Vlade playing so bad in the outfield, he use to be good. :(

Yes--didn't somebody upstream point out that Guerrero might be problematic for the Rangers in the road games? Those two plays reminded me of watching Marcus Thames this year for the Yankees whenever he took the field...a development that never failed to make Pinstripe Alley posters break out in hives.

Giant radio announcers are saying one of the most important outcomes of this game could be Vlade not playing in games 6 & 7, because of no DH (if it comes to that), loosing Vlade for those two final games would be a big blow to the Rangers.

Apologies to Berigan, but the Braves beat the Yankees 12-1 in Game 1 of the '96 series. And that didn't end well for the Braves.

Damn, beat me to it. <_<:D

They smacked the Yankees around pretty hard in Game 2 of that series as well. Not to mention that the series then headed back to Atlanta for three games. At that point I remember thinking, "Well, this season was a great ride, lots of incredible stories and character developments, good to finally make it back to the WS, blah blah blah..." I just wanted to see them avoid getting swept. Turned out a lot better than that, obviously, but their chances sure looked bleak after the first two games. BTW, they also had a highly-talented rookie shortstop (Derek Jeter), a gutty ace acquired via trade (David Cone), and a slugging outfielder trying to put a substance-abusing past behind him (Daryl Strawberry).

Well the Rangers just scored two runs. 8-4 now.

Is this going to be one of those vaunted "battle of the aces" matchups that ends up 10-8 or some such?

Well, I called the sum of runs right--it ended 11-7. Jsngry, you've got to take some consolation from the Rangers' mettle in this game. Plus they forced SF to use Wilson in a blowout and then hit him hard, clearing the bases and scoring three runs before he could finally put them away. If they win tomorrow, they head back to Texas for three games all tied up.

EDIT: I love it that the Giants use Blur's "Song #2" as their postgame victory music.

Edited by ghost of miles

I think people are finally starting to understand how good the Giants are. They've been under-rated continually all year, but they always seem to find someone to come up big when the game is on the line. They've also consistently hit the best pitchers in the game: Halladay, Ozwalt, Jimenez, Johnson, Lee, etc.

It's going to be a very interesting series and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Giants finish this off in 5 (but I could be wrong :crazy: )

This is only one game and as the others pasted out the 96 Yanks survived early losses to win. There are numerous instances of other tea s coming back from 2-0. It would have been far worse had they lost a one run game than getting blown out. After 8-2 it was basically garbage time. Also Lee only pitched once in the Yankee series so they found a way to win three others.

I could be wrong but I think this series will go the full seven, which, if the case, would be bad news fir the Giants as you would be facing Lee, in all likelihood. I assume he'll pitch game 4 and I expect him tobe something closer to his old self in his remaining starts.

I wouldn't start getting ready for the parade just yet :)

Ya' know...we scored 7 runs, 5 of them after getting reamed big time. 7 runs can win you most games... for that matter. 5 will win you a lot...

Again, it's going to come down to the character of the remaining Rangers starters, can they muster true quality starts from here on out, little to no room for error. The Giants have shown that if you don't, they'll eat you alive. So...Wilson, Lewis, & Hunter, whatcha'll got? Dig deep, now.

And don't let me ever see Darren O'Day again, please.

Again, it's going to come down to the character of the remaining Rangers starters, can they muster true quality starts from here on out, little to no room for error. The Giants have shown that if you don't, they'll eat you alive. So...Wilson, Lewis, & Hunter, whatcha'll got? Dig deep, now.

I never thought I'd say this about any Rangers team, but I believe this team will. I will be more surprised if they DON'T than if they do. They've already proved they can throughout this playoff run. Whether or not that translates into a world championship remains to be seen, but I fully expect this Rangers team to bounce back up, dust themselves off and come out swinging again tonight.

A-FUCKING-MEN!!!!!!!!!

So far so good!

Sanchez seeing doubles...three times:

a4dd563939a24042bbd59885c937a80c.jpg

Ya' know...we scored 7 runs, 5 of them after getting reamed big time. 7 runs can win you most games... for that matter. 5 will win you a lot...

A slug fest....in San Francisco? Wow! :excited:

Giant radio announcers are saying one of the most important outcomes of this game could be Vlade not playing in games 6 & 7, because of no DH (if it comes to that), loosing Vlade for those two final games would be a big blow to the Rangers.

I actually don't think it's that big of deal. David Murphy is a pretty good hitter (.291/.358/.449). And a little more pop vs. righties. He hits .272 w/ no power vs. lefties, so instead you play Francoeur. "Frenchy" has had a mixed career, but he has been a strong hitter vs. lefties for his career and was again in 2010. So you platoon those two and have a dynamite frightening late inning pinch hitter with Vlad. If you're a Ranger fan you hope that 1st base isn't open when he comes up so they're forced to pitch to him. It's not a bad situation to have at all.

This is only one game and as the others pasted out the 96 Yanks survived early losses to win. There are numerous instances of other tea s coming back from 2-0. It would have been far worse had they lost a one run game than getting blown out. After 8-2 it was basically garbage time. Also Lee only pitched once in the Yankee series so they found a way to win three others.

I could be wrong but I think this series will go the full seven, which, if the case, would be bad news fir the Giants as you would be facing Lee, in all likelihood. I assume he'll pitch game 4 and I expect him tobe something closer to his old self in his remaining starts.

I wouldn't start getting ready for the parade just yet :)

They said the same thing about facing Oswalt and Latos before him.

TBH, I don't think it matters who is on the mound: They still have to score runs and that has been the problem all year for the Giants....ace pitcher or not.

Yea, whazzup with THAT?!?!?!?!?!

I know. Usually a high scoring game is 3-2.

Go figure.

Maybe this will be the year. It's amazing to think that they haven't won in 55 years. They were a powerhouse once, what with 5 WS titles and 21 pennants including this year. Aside from the Cardinals and Dodgers, that's the most of any National League team.

Maybe this will be the year. It's amazing to think that they haven't won in 55 years. They were a powerhouse once, what with 5 WS titles and 21 pennants including this year. Aside from the Cardinals and Dodgers, that's the most of any National League team.

This long suffering fan hopes this is the year.

Enduring the Torture since 1963.

Edited by GoodSpeak