2010 MLB Season

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are definitely in a ticklish position with Jeter and Arod but Ripken moved over to third so why not Jeter, especially if it's for the good of the team. Not having to worry about fielding would help Arod. I'd cut Posada or relegate him to a pinch hitter. He only caught about half the games anyway and he will be catching less anyway. Yankee fans can answer but I think they do have some prospects to replace him. At short, try to find someone young who has range. I hope that Lee stays with Texas or goes to anyone but the Yanks but if he does sign with them, I'd try to jettison Burnett, no easy feat with his contract. They had to know that it would be a crap shoot with him anyway. He helped lead them to a title anyway so they probably got what they're going to get out of him. They also really to overhaul the bullpen. It was badly exposed and could be worse with Wood expected to leave. Yup, couldn't happen to a nicer team but never write them off.

Edited by Brad

First of all, these discussions are usually worthless in the grand scheme of the offseason, nothing but a couple of semi-informed people running their mouths. Like Posada being released - its never going to happen. They will use him the same way as last season, catching a few games, playing DH a few games, sitting on his a few games.

The usual problem with Jeter at 3B is that his power numbers won't play well there. The counterargument is that the Yankees get power from other, unexpected spots in the lineup (like 2B) so it all evens out. But starting at 3B right after he re-signs? Not a chance in hell. That will require another season as Past a Diving Jeter before it could possibly happen. And that's assuming Cashman grows a pair and has that conversation.

Getting rid of Burnett might just be easier to do for one reason: His personal crutch, the pitching coach, just got canned. I have to admit that is kind of surprising ...

Mike Francesa on WFAN interviewed Joe Girardi and Brian Cashman today. Here are the interviews.

Later on Mike talked to Sweeney Murtey, the WFAN beat reporter, and a baseball reporter from the Daily News who covers the Yankees and they discussed how the Rangers scouting report had indicated that the left side of the infield had slowed down and was vulnerable, as well as Posada being so. One of the options they discussed was making Arod the DH and moving Jeter to 3rd. Another point of discussion was what to do about Posada. One possibility would be to release him but that all depended on what happened with Montero, who might be possible trade bait for a front line starter, which they felt was needed. Unfortunately, this conversation was not put on the WFAN web site. Too bad as it was pretty interesting. One of the benefits of living in NY :)

I know that Jeter is a hero to Yankee fans, after all, he is a True Yankeeâ„¢, but I don't see it working having DJ at third, the karma is all wrong for that to happen. Besides, who would move into shortstop for the Yankees? Is there anyone better than a slow Jeter they can turn to? Well, Posada, everyone knows he stinks at a catcher at this point in his career, and there's not too much coming up after him. The Yankees are in deep doo-doo for next year, and I don't think they can buy them$elve$ out of this one either. Lucky for them, Tampa Bay is going to gut their team, Toronto, does anyone take them seriously? Looks like clear sailing for Boston next year, and the Yankees fighting for the wild card again. Couldn't happen to a nicer team... <_<

From what I saw, ARod, made some really good plays in the playoffs, did anyone see Jeter do anything above average at SS?(I didn't see every game) So, unless ARod is hurting, I can't see moving Jeter to 3rd.

As for Montero, I just heard a few days ago he's the best hitting prospect left in the minors. Do the Yankees really want to trade him away? They need pitching, not offense. Is anyone going to trade an established starter for a 20 year old, no matter how highly touted? Though he is a catcher, which will excite teams...hmmm, straight up for Zack Greinke? Nah...Royals would want pitching...

Seems like they should sign Lee and Crawford, and beg Pettitte to come back for one more year.

As for Toronto....they have tons of young arms...injuries didn't help things, but if those arms develop as expected , and they hit just close to what they did in 2009, they will be real force. Shoot, any team in the division might have a chance if they catch some breaks...well, Baltimore more likely in 2012, but one never knows, does one? I was sure just a few weeks ago it was going to be the Rays or the Yankees vs. Phils.

Edited by BERIGAN

Looks like clear sailing for Boston next year...

I don't think it's clear sailing for Boston, at least at the moment. That could change over the winter of course. But right now?

VMart is a terrible defensive catcher, Ortiz & Drew are hitting the age of decline, though maybe there's enough in them yet. What's up with the OF? Beltre is a FA, and despite his terrific history his past performance suggests even if they re-sign him it's not guaranteed he'll have a similar season.

It's practically 50/50 that between Beckett & Lackey one will underperform relative to the contract. Buchholz's great leap forward may not be repeated based on the more esoteric Ginsu stats. Dice K? Ugh. And then there's that closer problem.

And while ownership is confident about their big soccer acquisition, if I was a worrywart I'd be concerned about that being a distraction. Nope, Baltimore all the way. They just have to fire Buck so the next guy can take the team to the title. That's worked 3 out 3 times, though there was a delay in Texas. ;)

I'm torn over who to root for in the WS. On one hand I want Cliff Lee to get a ring so we Philly fans can feel even more righteous in our anger(justified)towards the dumb ass GM we have here in Philly that traded Lee away for 3 toilet flushes. OTOH, I want the NL champs to beat the crap out the representatives from the junior circuit. Hell, SF deserves it. They knocked off everyone's pick to win it all and they've been waiting for over 50 years. It's time.

Edit: would also like to see Josh Hamilton get a ring. Dude has been to Hell and back.

I root NL no matter what...er, unless the hated Dodgers are in it. Sorry, it's just not in me.

Seriously, as a fan, I want this no-wins in SF monkey off of my back so bad I can taste it.

Go Giants!

Edited by GoodSpeak

Looks like clear sailing for Boston next year...

I don't think it's clear sailing for Boston, at least at the moment. That could change over the winter of course. But right now?

VMart is a terrible defensive catcher, Ortiz & Drew are hitting the age of decline, though maybe there's enough in them yet. What's up with the OF? Beltre is a FA, and despite his terrific history his past performance suggests even if they re-sign him it's not guaranteed he'll have a similar season.

It's practically 50/50 that between Beckett & Lackey one will underperform relative to the contract. Buchholz's great leap forward may not be repeated based on the more esoteric Ginsu stats. Dice K? Ugh. And then there's that closer problem.

Vmart is a free agent, too though I don't totally agree on his defensive shortcomings (for one thing he markedly improved at controlling the running game after the first month or two of the season).

Ortiz will be a free agent too, though I think he showed enough to risk a two-year deal at much less than his 12 million dollar option on the current contract.

Drew is Drew. Only one more season, and if they had the guts, he might be more or less riding the pines with Reddick playing in his place.

No argument about Lackey & Beckett, and they may hamstring the rotation for four more years if they don't get their mojo back.

And no argument about the closer, I don't know what the fuck we have in Papelbon anymore. But it sure looks like Bard could take over if they go in that direction.

As for Buchholz, I'd love to know what the "esoteric Ginsu" stats are that show he didn't take a leap forward. I know his strikeout rate isn't what it was but from August 2009 through the end of last year his numbers match up with anyone in the majors.

Bottom line is that there will be so much roster alteration that its impossible to say "smooth sailing" for Boston unless you absolutely insist that the Yankees and Rays will decline substantially regardless. And that's a foolish presumption.

The chances of Cliff Lee not sitting in between Sabathia and Cashman for a mid-December press conference at Yankee Stadium are about .0001 less than the chance that Jeter will volunteer to play LF for the Mets in 2011.

Book it: Cliff Lee will not sign with the Yankees this winter and will in all likelihood remain a Ranger, even if Texas doesn't win the World Series. Note the "Rangers or Yankees?" part of that article. Yes, reprehensible Yankee fan behavior (though behavior of a kind certainly not restricted to New York), but it's everything else that's mentioned about Lee's current circumstances that confirms for me the hunch I've had for the past couple of months that culture and geography are going to play as big a part in his decision as money. If Texas can make an offer that's even remotely competitive with what the Yankees put forward, it's over.

Edited by ghost of miles

As for Buchholz, I'd love to know what the "esoteric Ginsu" stats are that show he didn't take a leap forward. I know his strikeout rate isn't what it was but from August 2009 through the end of last year his numbers match up with anyone in the majors.

I can never remember the order of the letters for BABIP, hence calling it Ginsu. ;) I agree Clay's season was a dandy, but his .265 BABIP & 4.29 SIERA were a little on the high side to think he'll do a 2.33 ERA again. I know you don't believe in the W stat either, and his 15-6 record was helped by an offense that scored 7 runs an outing for him. Don't get me wrong, I'm not down on the guy at all, I just wouldn't be surprised if the ERA is in the high 2/low 3 instead 2.33. But along with Lester they sure make a fine foundation for a staff.

Book it: Cliff Lee will not sign with the Yankees

I know it was the low-scoring higher-mound '60s, but that Koufax line at the bottom of the article is cruel in many ways.

61 Ks in 57 innings in 8 games pitched for an ERA of 0.95. And he went 4 and 3. He lost 3 times with an 0.95 ERA! Time to head over to baseball-reference and refresh my memory.

*This will do it. In the '66 series the Dodgers lost 6-0 in his start. Only 1 of the 4 runs he allowed was earned as the Dodgers committed 6 errors. Willie Davis had 3 errors in one inning from losing the ball in the sun. Even the best fielders can have a bad day.

Edited by Quincy

The chances of Cliff Lee not sitting in between Sabathia and Cashman for a mid-December press conference at Yankee Stadium are about .0001 less than the chance that Jeter will volunteer to play LF for the Mets in 2011.

Book it: Cliff Lee will not sign with the Yankees this winter and will in all likelihood remain a Ranger, even if Texas doesn't win the World Series. Note the "Rangers or Yankees?" part of that article. Yes, reprehensible Yankee fan behavior (though behavior of a kind certainly not restricted to New York), but it's everything else that's mentioned about Lee's current circumstances that confirms for me the hunch I've had for the past couple of months that culture and geography are going to play as big a part in his decision as money. If Texas can make an offer that's even remotely competitive with what the Yankees put forward, it's over.

Some of us have been saying the same thing....

Oh mi god, we signed Jeter! Unbelievable :D

Seriously, players go where the money is. That's all that matters to most of them. This is Lee's big chance and maybe only one for a huge payout. He will go with the team that offers that, plus can be competitive. When discussing contracts we need to divorce emotions and keep it at dollars and cents. You go where the money is. This may be cynical but true.

I think there's a good chance he stays in Texas especially if they beat the Yankees. I don't think money will be the deciding factor. I think there will be other factors as well. Did you see how he jumped into Molina's arms when they clinched in Tampa last week? The dude definitely likes it there. And then there's the closeness to his family in Arkansas as opposed to NYC. Also just looking at the make up of the the Yankees and the Rangers - would you want to be on a team w/ an aging core group of players or with one that is still relatively youngish?? One window is closing the other one seems to be open for awhile longer. Anyway, it's not like he hasn't been getting paid in his current contract. He's making $9 million this year alone. Last year before the asshat GM in Philly traded him to Seattle. He was working out a contract extension w/ the Philies. After the trade was announced he said in an interview that he wanted to stay in Philly, wanted to finish his career here, and that the trade caught him completely off guard. So it would appear that money isn't the only factor motivating him. I think if Texas can find the money, I say $100 million or thereabouts, he stays.

Seriously, players go where the money is. That's all that matters to most of them. This is Lee's big chance and maybe only one for a huge payout. He will go with the team that offers that, plus can be competitive. When discussing contracts we need to divorce emotions and keep it at dollars and cents. You go where the money is. This may be cynical but true.

Not all players go for the most money though. Mauer, Tony Gwynn, Puckett are (or were) a few examples where each could have gotten even more money elsewhere.

Look at Doc Halladay. He gave the Phillies a discount because he wanted a chance to go the postseason.

Edited by J.H. Deeley

*This will do it. In the '66 series the Dodgers lost 6-0 in his start. Only 1 of the 4 runs he allowed was earned as the Dodgers committed 6 errors. Willie Davis had 3 errors in one inning from losing the ball in the sun. Even the best fielders can have a bad day.

Check out Game 2 of the '65 series too...

That '66 series and the '66 Orioles was a BIG blast, unless you were a Dodgers fan... talk about a team that captured the imagination!

Based on the reports I've read, Lee was truly excited about going to the Yankees when it appeared as if Seattle was going to deal him there. He's good friends with C.C. and he obviously respects NY as a team that does everything it can to realistically be in the hunt every year. But I think his odds of becoming a Yankee began to decrease from the time he set foot in Texas. Hey, I'd love to see him in New York's rotation next year, but there are actually reasons to be wary (in NY's case) of giving him a long-term deal, given his back problems and NY's heavy, existing payroll commitment to players already 30 or over (Tex, C.C., A-Rod, A.J., and, presumably for 3-4 more years, Jeter). If Andy Pettitte decides to come back, that will make not landing Lee a little less problematic for the rotation--but not much. (And I'd probably bet on Pettitte's retiring at this point.)

Moving on to a more pleasant topic for a Yankee fan (because I do think the rotation's going to give them fits again, especially without Lee), there are two very good catching prospects in the pipeline: the already-mentioned Jesus Montero and Austin Romine. Montero probably comes up around June 1 of next year, to keep the arbitration clock running for another year; 2011 will be Posada's phaseout year. Catcher IMO is the least of the Yankees' worries. They're set at first with Tex (who is still relatively young at 30) and Robbie Cano at second (Cano just turned 28 and will almost certainly be in the running for MVP when that vote goes down). Shortstop and third are more problematic, as others have pointed out, with Jeter's defense increasingly becoming a liability (A-Rod's holding up pretty well at third base, though). My guess is that Tex, A-Rod and Jeter all come back with marginally better seasons next year than they had this year, though Jeter and A-Rod are clearly beginning to decline overall.

The Swish/Grandy/Gardner outfield may well stay status quo. Swish and Grandy are both right around 30 years old and Gardner's 27. It's a fast, defensively strong outfield in left and center, and Swish and Grandy both put up good HR numbers, while Gardner creates lots of havoc and opportunity on the basepaths (though he has little power and may not ever be more than a .270-.280 hitter).

DH is one place where I think NY needs to make a big improvement. Yes, they'll want to rotate Posada, A-Rod and Jeter through there more and more, but they really need another good hitter along the lines of Matsui to give them 400 or so AB in that position. Nick Johnson was an absolute bust (as many predicted he would be over at Pinstripe Alley--not like it took any great foresight to wager that he'd get injured again) and Lance Berkman was too little too late.

The bullpen might be an issue again as well. Marte will be out most of next year after having surgery, leaving us with Logan as the only leftie. Not sure if we'll be able to retain Kerry Wood as a setup man or not (his option is pretty high iirc), and Mo will be another year older, still very good, but most likely continuing to be a little less lights-out than he used to be.

So those would be my priorities--pitching (both starting and relieving) and DH. Like it or not, I think Jeter stays at shortstop for at least another year. The Yankees just have to hope that he, A-Rod and Tex all change up their workout routines this winter, make whatever adjustments they need to make, and come back strong over the course of next season.

And everyone - please pray that the next time MLB's TV contract is up for grabs someone other than FOX gets it so we can finally be done with Joe Buck and McCarver.

Technology provides an alternative.

I may give this a go as I have the iPhone baseball audio ap which gives me a choice of the Rangers or Giants announcers. I sure wouldn't go through the trouble to hear Joe Morgan of ESPN radio instead though.

And everyone - please pray that the next time MLB's TV contract is up for grabs someone other than FOX gets it so we can finally be done with Joe Buck and McCarver.

Technology provides an alternative.

I may give this a go as I have the iPhone baseball audio ap which gives me a choice of the Rangers or Giants announcers. I sure wouldn't go through the trouble to hear Joe Morgan of ESPN radio instead though.

XM Radio- I'll listen to the Rangers annoouncers.

I'm excited to watch this World Series- this will be fun!

and if you have a DVR- sync up the audio and TV so they're the same- makes for a more enjoyable game- and no Buck/McCarver!!