2010 MLB Season

Maybe this will be the year. It's amazing to think that they haven't won in 55 years. They were a powerhouse once, what with 5 WS titles and 21 pennants including this year. Aside from the Cardinals and Dodgers, that's the most of any National League team.

This long suffering fan hopes this is the year.

Enduring the Torture since 1963.

That's a long time. Hope this is your year.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe this will be the year. It's amazing to think that they haven't won in 55 years. They were a powerhouse once, what with 5 WS titles and 21 pennants including this year. Aside from the Cardinals and Dodgers, that's the most of any National League team.

The Giants last won the WS in 1954 when they were the NY Giants.

Don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere here (and I know the clip has been taken down on YouTube at the request of MLB), but here's an active (as of a few minutes ago) link to Tony Bennett's IMO quite stirring rendition of "God Bless America" during the seventh-inning stretch last night:

http://www.artsjournal.com/rifftides/

It was considered an upset as the Tribe had won 111 that year.

Looks like the Rangers peaked when they won the AL Pennant. Good enough, really, the Giants are a great team clearly are peaking at just the right time, but DAMN do I hate to see them embarrass themselves like this (to say nothing of wasting a very nice start by Wilson). They're ready for Prime Time, just not Sweeps Week.

And speaking of sweeps, right now, all I'm hoping for is a Game 5. Pulled the trigger on two tickets this afternoon. I'd like to be able to say that I took my son to the World Series...

I don't know, Ghost: two straight bullpen meltdowns? It's gonna take a lot to bounce back from this one.

Honestly, we are seeing the simultaneous high point AND low point in the Rangers history in this inning. This is more than painful: this is fucking embarrassing. You look at this bunch and wonder, "Just how DID they become the AL champs with this bullpen?" If I was a fan of any other AL team right now, I'd be pissed that this sorry bunch is representing my league!

Reality is a bitch.

(Looks like Sangrey & Deeley posted while I was typing!)

Edited by Big Al

Don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere here (and I know the clip has been taken down on YouTube at the request of MLB), but here's an active (as of a few minutes ago) link to Tony Bennett's IMO quite stirring rendition of "God Bless America" during the seventh-inning stretch last night:

http://www.artsjournal.com/rifftides/

I saw that when it happened, and all seemed so right with the world at that moment. I think I may have to watch it again after this inning!

Incredible that that all started with two outs and nobody on--is that some sort of Series record, scoring 7 runs in such circumstances?

I cite the '96 Yankees in part because they were flat-out humiliated by the Braves in the first two games--and at Yankee Stadium to boot. At least Texas will be at home for the next three. The bullpen, whatever its perennial problems, looked rattled to me, maybe some WS nerves that might be more easily settled in a friendly environment. And you'll be able to put Guerrero in as DH.

Rangers look outclassed so far, but the homestand could really turn things around. Game 3 obviously a must-win at this point, though.

Edited by ghost of miles

Thanks, Ghost. You've got more faith than me right now; I feel like I'm watching the Rangers of old right now....

I mean, not to take away from the Giants efforts. Hell, Cain silenced the Rangers bats completely and convincingly. There's a damn good reason these guys are playing for the Championship title.

But geez, of ALL the times for the Rangers to hit the skids..... NOW????

Edited by Big Al

I was born in 1954 and didn't really become aware of team sports until I was 8 years-old...the year was 1962. Giants made the WS only to lose to the hated Yankees in 7 games.

Ever since then, it has been 47 years of dashed hopes, nightmarish seasons and unrealized potential.

Maybe, just maybe...this time the good guys win a WS. Give me this. Only this....and I can die a happy man.

Edited by GoodSpeak

And speaking of sweeps, right now, all I'm hoping for is a Game 5. Pulled the trigger on two tickets this afternoon. I'd like to be able to say that I took my son to the World Series...

I pulled the trigger on Tuesday for tonight's game.

Best "way too many $$" I ever spent. Totally wild out there. Totally unusual game. Totally fun.

Everyone should do whatever it takes to go to at least one World Series game in their life. :tup :tup

I was born in 1954 and didn't really become aware of team sports until I was 8 years-old...the year was 1962. Giants made the WS only to lose to the hated Yankees in 7 games.

(snip)

I'm a bit older, a Yankee fan, and I recall pacing like crazy watching the 9th inning of the final game when Willie McCovey finally ended it by smashing a line drive to Bobby Richardson, the Yankee 2nd baseman, with men on 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs bottom of the 9th, score 1-0. A true game of inches. The Yanks had scored the only run much earlier when the Giants conceded the run in order to turn a double play in a bases loaded, no out situation. Closest WS in history. The teams alternated victories, i.e., Yanks won games 1, 3, 5, 7, Giants won 2, 4, 6. I recall reading the NY papers the following day in which several Yanks admitted that the Giant team was their equal and the Series could just as easily gone the other way.

My younger son---who was seven at the time---is still bitter about the 2002 Series.

Don't talk to me about 1993.

(snip)

I'm a bit older, a Yankee fan, and I recall pacing like crazy watching the 9th inning of the final game when Willie McCovey finally ended it by smashing a line drive to Bobby Richardson, the Yankee 2nd baseman, with men on 2nd and 3rd, 2 outs bottom of the 9th, score 1-0. A true game of inches. The Yanks had scored the only run much earlier when the Giants conceded the run in order to turn a double play in a bases loaded, no out situation. Closest WS in history. The teams alternated victories, i.e., Yanks won games 1, 3, 5, 7, Giants won 2, 4, 6. I recall reading the NY papers the following day in which several Yanks admitted that the Giant team was their equal and the Series could just as easily gone the other way.

That's incredible.

Rangers have a tough row to hoe. Not impossible to comeback but the Giants are on a serious roll right now. Good luck.

Edited by J.H. Deeley