2010 MLB Season

Don't talk to me about 1993.

Everybody has their horror stories; that's what being a fan is all about. Mine is 1988 playoffs Mets v. Dodgers, game 4: Mike bleepin' Scoscia. Couldn't sleep that whole tonight. In the sixth or seventh inning, when they were up 4-2, they had Carter on third and nobody out. Couldn't get him in. If they score, they probably would have won the game and gone up in 3-1. But they didn't and promptly lost game 5. The rest is bad history :(

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is pretty cool:

World Series Game 2 8th inning break singalong

...I'll confess that as a kid I really dug some of those early Journey sides like "Lights"... Q95 used to play them a lot in Indianapolis. Neat that Steve Perry was actually in the crowd and urging them on in the singalong; again, I'm really impressed by the character of the Giants team, their fans, and the spirit of the games at A T & T Park. Great to see a city having such a love affair with its ballclub.

Edited by ghost of miles

Ron Washington did not manage the 9th well at all -- not even using Feliz?? They needed to keep it to a two run lead, and Ron was acting like it was the middle of July.

He managed the 9th as well as he could... ;)

I would maybe have gone with Feliz once Wilson came out, but the dreaded Darren O'Day actually stepped up & delivered, and the to-this-point-beloved Derek holland caught the Series Jitters at the worst possible time, and everything else just...sucked royally.

But I think Wash was thinking that a 2 run top of the 9th for he Rangers was doable, maybe even a 3, so you save Feliz for either the 9th or whatever extra-inning scenario transpires. Hindsight being 20-20, you can say it was a horrible decision, but dig - the horror all happened with two outs. You've got to think that somebody can just come in and get one - just one out. A manager has to have that trust, even if it gets betrayed on a Cesarian scale every now and then.

Ron Washington did not manage the 9th well at all -- not even using Feliz?? They needed to keep it to a two run lead, and Ron was acting like it was the middle of July.

I think you mean the 8th but, yes, I'd have to agree you need to keep it as close as possible. You never know what's going to happen.

Especially when you realize that Friday is an off day, why not bring in Feliz to at least keep it at 2-0? But once it became 9-0, Ranger hitters looked especially beat in their last turn at bat.

Still can't get over how Kinsler's shot didn't head out after it hit the top of the wall. At 1-1, it's a different game.

However, the Ranger bullpen is turning in a disgraceful performance, no other way to put it.

Yeah, I meant the 8th. I just thought that Washington had to do anything possible to keep the lead to two runs. Theory is great is baseball, but you need outs, and Feliz hasn't pitched in a lot of days, so use him fer cryin' out loud! I mean, he gets the third out, and he can pitch the bottom of the 9th.

Theory is great is baseball, but you need outs, and Feliz hasn't pitched in a lot of days, so use him fer cryin' out loud! I mean, he gets the third out, and he can pitch the bottom of the 9th.

That's the type of thing that if the manager's instincts play out, he's a great manager, and if they don't, he's an idiot.

OTOH, as much as I admire the "you're my guys, yesterday was then, this is now, just play baseball" approach, not just on this team but as a "life principle" in general, at some point loaded guns need to be held to the heads (and/or groins) of the entire Rangers bullpen and one or two need to be fired, just to set an example.

Enough is more than enough.

This is the same criticism I gave after Game 1 of the ALCS.

The playoffs are different, and you have to use your best arms at the most critical times. There is no excuse whatsoever not to use the closer to keep it a winnable game.

Take a lesson from Terry Francona, for fuck's sake.

Theory is great is baseball, but you need outs, and Feliz hasn't pitched in a lot of days, so use him fer cryin' out loud! I mean, he gets the third out, and he can pitch the bottom of the 9th.

That's the type of thing that if the manager's instincts play out, he's a great manager, and if they don't, he's an idiot.

OTOH, as much as I admire the "you're my guys, yesterday was then, this is now, just play baseball" approach, not just on this team but as a "life principle" in general, at some point loaded guns need to be held to the heads (and/or groins) of the entire Rangers bullpen and one or two need to be fired, just to set an example.

Enough is more than enough.

Did you catch the split second shot of Holland screaming into his glove when he saw Washington coming out to relieve him? The man was definitely immersed in a hellhole of his own making.

Edited by MartyJazz

Yeah, I meant the 8th. I just thought that Washington had to do anything possible to keep the lead to two runs. Theory is great is baseball, but you need outs, and Feliz hasn't pitched in a lot of days, so use him fer cryin' out loud! I mean, he gets the third out, and he can pitch the bottom of the 9th.

The lineup was an ugly position to do a double switch as Hamilton had made the last out in the previous inning. So without a double switch that meant the 6th batter in the 9th would have been been the pitcher's slot, and if you need to score at least 2 the pitcher is coming up. I know, it's a game you have to win and the situation was dire. But if you want more than one inning from your closer you have to go without your best hitter. Tough choice!

Edited by Quincy

Today, I am wearing my Texas Rangers AL Champs t-shirt to work as part of Halloween dress-up day, and telling everyone I am St. Jude, the Patron Saint of Lost Causes. ;):P

Seriously, now that I'm calmed down, just gotta keep telling myself I wanted this to go seven games and in order to go seven games, the Rangers gotta lose three. But like that???

Look, what Wash did last night is typical Wash. Sometimes it works, sometimes it bites him in the ass. But that's his style and I give him credit for having the cajones for staying consistent against the massive outpouring of screams to do otherwise (I'm in that massive outpouring, BTW). Hell, it got him this far; at this point, I can't really argue with it anymore.

Maybe it's time to get the guys in the bullpen to watch "Bull Durham:" Don't think, Meat; just throw. Hell, put garters on 'em if necessary! :lol:

And may I also say how classy, gracious, and a good sport GoodSpeak has been this Series! I'm guessing it's as much out of being a "Good" guy as it is out of fear that saying even the slightest thing complimentary will jinx his team. I know this feeling all too well, and am living that nightmare right now. Oh well, I've rooted this long and bought the t-shirts not to keep saying it: GO RANGERS!!! :)