Alice Coltrane x Kenny 'Pancho' Hagood

epistrophy007

Alice Coltrane was once married to bebopsinger Kenny Hagood (think oop-pop-a-da with Gillespie, Darn that Dream with Davis et al.)

Does someone know if they have played together or perhaps even made record or so?!?

Somehow I can't imagine them together...(musically speaking)

Their daughter is Mikki Coltrane.

Does somehow have more information about Hagood?

Can imagine that most people think of his singin' as an acquired taste but I like his big throaty voice and sometimes quite dramatic way of balladeering...

Thank you!

j.

I didn´t know Alice Coltrane was married to Kenny Hagood. Though I got quite a few recorded items where he sings, I don´t know nothing about his live. He worked quite much at the Royal Roost in the late 40´s and his ballad features with bop greats like Tadd Dameron, Dizzy, Bird are well known. also with Miles on Birth of Cool, and with Monk on Blue Note. I got the film "Jivin´in Bebop" with Dizzy and you got Kenny Hagood singing "I´m Waiting For You" to a nice young lady who just looks at him. Maybe she´s young Alice?

Alice McLeod and Kenny Hagood met in Paris and married there in 1960. The marriage did not last long.

While in Paris, Hagood recorded only one album (he appeared on a couple of tunes on a Guy Lafitte French Columbia ten-incher).

In her book 'My Life in E-flat' Chan Parker mention Alice and Hagood appearing and sitting in together at a Paris farewell party thrown in when the Quincy Jones orchestra returned to the States (in 1960) after their sojourn in Europe.

The thought of Chan Parker and Alice Coltrane together at a party gives me the chill :g

There was a previous thread on Kenny Hagood here (or at the BNBB?) that was initiated by mmilovan but I could not locate it.

It's a well known fact the early boppers loved glamorous or big voices: Billy Eckstine, Kenny Hagood, Earl Coleman, Johnny Hartman ... I like 'em, I have to admit. Haggod was good and could scat - there are some Gillespie live tracks with Pancho and Dizzy trading fours. And I think he fits very well on those Miles and Monk 78's.

I have that Jivin' movie somewhere ...

Edited by mikeweil

In her book 'My Life in E-flat' Chan Parker mention Alice and Hagood appearing and sitting in together at a Paris farewell party thrown in when the Quincy Jones orchestra returned to the States (in 1960) after their sojourn in Europe.

The thought of Chan Parker and Alice Coltrane together at a party gives me the chill :g

Wow - me too!

Hagood with Lafitte is new to me :lol: What's the title of that one?????

Wishfullthinker as I am but maybe there exist some radiobraodcast of those Parisdays....

Don't know I just have some thing with those "discovered" radiobroadcastcd's...

Thank's for the reply's and the new info (mmmm Chan Parker and Alice Coltrane at Quincy Jones's place!!!)

j.

If Chan had not latched on to Charlie and opportunistically borrowed his name (They were never really married on paper) and Alice had not married John, I don't think we would be spending a pixel on either one of them. Apropos shameless exploiters, whatever became of Kim "Parker"?

Come to think of it, if Chan had kept her self-serving needs to herself, Eastwood might haved consulted someone else (Doris, for example) and made a more representative movie—hey, it might have been about a great performer rather than a drug addict.

On second thought, I guess that's too far-fetched.

wait, Chris - I like Alice Coltrane's stuff. I take it you don't.

Interesting about Chan vs Doris. Don Shlitten told me he thought Chan deserved the honor because she bore Bird's children - Tommy Potter, on the other hand, and his wife both loved Doris and told me she was the one they always regarded as Bird's wife.

Hagood with Lafitte is new to me :lol: What's the title of that one?????

Wishfullthinker as I am but maybe there exist some radiobraodcast of those Parisdays....

Don't know I just have some thing with those "discovered" radiobroadcastcd's...

Thank's for the reply's and the new info (mmmm Chan Parker and Alice Coltrane at Quincy Jones's place!!!)

j.

It's a ten-incher 'Guy Lafitte et son Quartette avec Kenny Hagood', a 1960 session on French Columbia.

Hagood sings on three of the six titles.

Looks like it's never been reissued!

Don't think there is any other trace of Hagood's Parisdays. The INA.fr site does not have anything on him.

Interesting about Chan vs Doris. Don Shlitten told me he thought Chan deserved the honor because she bore Bird's children - Tommy Potter, on the other hand, and his wife both loved Doris and told me she was the one they always regarded as Bird's wife.

so who was Bird ever legally married to?!?

Edited by ValerieB

so who was Bird ever legally married to?!?

At the time he was with Chan?

Doris Snyder though after a year the marriage was over.

Think that his first marriage was the most 'durable'

j.

Edited by epistrophy007

• 3 years later...

I once was married to "Pancho" he & Alice were from Detroit,Mich where they worked regular gigs together, he took her to Paris where the two of them lived with Bud Powell and study under the legendary piano genius

"Pancho" was also an accomplish pianist working many piano bars through Los Angeles, Chicago and Detroit in the USA.

I didn´t know Alice Coltrane was married to Kenny Hagood. Though I got quite a few recorded items where he sings, I don´t know nothing about his live. He worked quite much at the Royal Roost in the late 40´s and his ballad features with bop greats like Tadd Dameron, Dizzy, Bird are well known. also with Miles on Birth of Cool, and with Monk on Blue Note. I got the film "Jivin´in Bebop" with Dizzy and you got Kenny Hagood singing "I´m Waiting For You" to a nice young lady who just looks at him. Maybe she´s young Alice?

No!!! That is not Alice!!

Edited by Gilda Hagood

interesting to thing of Alice and Chan's lives crossing - but not as interesting as the confluence of James Joyce and Lenin in Zurich (maybe 1918?) -

You forgot about Lenin and the dadaist movement ... that one's actually real (well, maybe ... Hugo Ball writes about the balalaika orchestra playing at Cabaret Voltaire and some weird Russian-looking chap visiting).

Edited by king ubu

interesting to thing of Alice and Chan's lives crossing - but not as interesting as the confluence of James Joyce and Lenin in Zurich (maybe 1918?) -

You forgot about Lenin and the dadaist movement ... that one's actually real (well, maybe ... Hugo Ball writes about the balalaika orchestra playing at Cabaret Voltaire and some weird Russian-looking chap visiting).

Tom Stoppard wrote a great play, "Travesties", about Joyce, Lenin and Tristan Tsara (sp?) all being in Zurich at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...

Pancho worked around Detroit in the early 80's, sharp dresser, nice guy, smooth singer bona fide Hipster. He struggled with some demons. There is a session featurinig Pancho with David Swain's orchestra. They played some of the classic Diz/Miles numbers.

Edited by JamesJazz

Tom Stoppard wrote a great play, "Travesties", about Joyce, Lenin and Tristan Tsara (sp?) all being in Zurich at the same time.

Got to look for that, thanks! (The spelling is Tzara, btw ... bag of hot air mostly, but fun hot air for sure!)