Eddie Johnson - RIP

Chuck Nessa

I had the opportunity to play many times with Eddie in the Jazz Members big band. It was a real education to hear Eddie blow on those Basie and Ellington charts. He was the real deal, and it came through in everything he played. Very sweet and humble guy.

R.I.P., Eddie and thanks for the great music.

Sorry to hear this news. He definitely was someone who should have been more widely known. The LP you issued ("Indian Summer") is a long-time favorite that stereojack turned me onto years ago.

Just received an email announcing he died this morning. Funeral arrangements pending, but probably next Tuesday. More info as it becomes available.

He was a fine musician and fine human.

Thanks Niko,

This is a variation of the band I heard in Grand Haven, with the addition of saxophonist Eric Schneider and a rhythm guitarist, John Defauw, which made it swing even more:

Johns27. The Hubbard Street Swingers

Eddie Johnson (ts); Johnny Board (ts); John Young (p); Charles "Truck" Parham (b); Phil Gratteau (d); Don De Michael (vib); Jo Belle (voc).

Andy's, Chicago, April 2, 1981

Edited by Lazaro Vega

How old was he?

According to AMG he was born in 1921, so he was either 88 or 89.

Chuck,

Any chance the LP will be reissued on CD?

I was planning a late fall issue but it feels a little creepy now. I will see how I feel about it later.

A reissue could be seen as a tribute.

How old was he?

Chuck,

I was planning a late fall issue but it feels a little creepy now. I will see how I feel about it later.

I think it's a great idea, Chuck. Not creepy at all. The jazz world (such as it is) needs to be more aware of this man.

How old was he?

Chuck,

Don't postpone it, Chuck. I remember you telling me about Eddie Johnson, and now I've been listening to the Beautiful Indian Summer LP for many years, which we wouldn't have if you hadn't done it. The sooner you reissue it the more people can hear it.

• 2 weeks later...

I am going ahead with the reissue. It will include another track - I'm Old Fashioned.

Eddie came to our place for dinner one evening and we worked up the program. I played the Shirley Horn version and he wanted to do it.

The 24 track masters have been sent off for transfer and I hope to have it ready before the end of the year.