Eddie Johnson - RIP

Chuck Nessa

The group I used had been assembled to accompany Joe Williams (a high school friend of Eddie's) for appearances at Rick's Cafe in Chicago. Eddie wanted to use the same band for the date and I agreed.

This group later worked a regular gig at a club called "Alexander's" and played there for a while. I think that gig was still going on when he made the Delmark date. Eddie was comfortable with these guys.

edit for typo.

Edited by Chuck Nessa

Those interested in Eddie should check out this date with Jodie Christian, Sonny Cohn and Norris Turney.

DMK490Lg.jpg

When Eddie came off the road in the late '40s he made a few sessions for Chess and got a job with the City of Chicago. This gave him security for his wife and son. He eventually advanced to being in charge of the city's early computer system as "chief system engineer". By 1980 both his wife and only child had died. He took "early retirement" from the city and jumped back in the music scene. This is when I met him. Within a year we were in the studio making a record. He was one of the really good guys.

Those interested in Eddie should check out this date with Jodie Christian, Sonny Cohn and Norris Turney.

DMK490Lg.jpg

When Eddie came off the road in the late '40s he made a few sessions for Chess and got a job with the City of Chicago. This gave him security for his wife and son. He eventually advanced to being in charge of the city's early computer system as "chief system engineer". By 1980 both his wife and only child had died. He took "early retirement" from the city and jumped back in the music scene. This is when I met him. Within a year we were in the studio making a record. He was one of the really good guys.

I did some arrangements for Jodie for that record! I remember doing Lester Left Town and a couple others.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...
On 4/21/2010 at 9:39 PM, Chuck Nessa said:

DMK490Lg.jpg

I was recently thinking about the Nessa Eddie Johnson recording and came to wonder about other recordings after he went back into the music scene .... I guess I slept on this one and his Delmark leader date because I didn't hear him until Chuck reissued the Indian Summer CD.  Both of the Delmark CDs are terrific and I think I atoned for my slowness by snagging this one. Lejeune is a younger boogie woogie type pianist and he and Eddie are a terrific pair. Anyone who sees this should snag it.

Lejeune.JPG

On 21.4.2010 at 3:39 AM, Chuck Nessa said:

DMK490Lg.jpg

Since I always liked Jodie Christian's playing and the horns seem to be first rate, I ordered a copy. Thanks for posting the recommendation.

• 10 months later...

Don't ya love when you stumble upon something that seems impossibly obscure then snag it within minutes of finding out about it?

I don't even recall why but this morning I was scrolling thru an Eddie Johnson discography and came to this:

Jazz Chicago Style

Brad Goode (tp except -3); Paul McKee (tb except -3); Frank Tiberi (ss -2; cl except -2 and -3); Eddie Johnson (ts except -3); John Young (p innards -3; p); Eddie DeHaas (b); Joel Spencer (d); Duane Themm (vib -1); Nancy Riley (voc); Everett Green (voc).

Chicago, 1992

Dippermouth Blues*   Ameritech CD
  Singin' the Blues*   Ameritech CD
  Struttin' with Some Barbecue*   Ameritech CD
  Do Nothing till You Hear from Me   Ameritech CD
  Lover Man* [NR voc]   Ameritech CD
  Seven Come Eleven* -1   Ameritech CD
  Everyday I Have the Blues* [EG voc]   Ameritech CD
  In and Out -3   Ameritech CD
  All of Me -2 [NR voc]   Ameritech CD
  Nature Boy   Ameritech CD
  Red Top   Ameritech CD
  Freedom Jazz Dance   Ameritech CD

This historical overview of Chicago jazz was made specially for Ameritech (a large regional telecommunications company, one of the "Baby Bells," with headquarters in Chicago) in 1992.

A few minutes later and I am paying less than $5 with free shipping. Thank you Ameritech for putting out a CD featuring Eddie Johnson (not to mention our own Paul McKee, John Young, Brad Goode).

Capture.JPG