If You Don't Participate In the Blindfold Tests

Dan Gould

Do you mean participate at all or do you mean getting a disc but not posting anyththing?

On a separate front, what would be a good interval between tests. On the sign up thread, I saw RT suggesting every three weeks. My concern is that you don't want this to get stale and I think we've had a good interval between Jim R's test and Jim S's test. We all lead busy lives and try to fit in listening to our music as much as we can so having this too frequently could be a bit of a concern.

Brad,

I understand your point about having the time to participate in numerous Blindfold tests, but I figure the solution is (if you're busy, or there are too many tests) to just not sign up to participate in all of them. Participate in 1 of 5 tests, this will allow more forumites to participate in creating tests. Also, if people aren't participating in every test, then the number of CDs that each test creator will send out will be less. Everyone wins! :D

I don't think there will be a Blindfold test burnout if we have tests every couple weeks or so. I think it will only serve to create more interest if the lag time is less between tests.

I just don't want to wait until 2005. I'm half done with my CD already. By then I'll have a box set for y'all. :P

On the last one I guess I was embarrassed that I only recognized two tunes and no performers. Still I intended to post more than my one paltry comment but got distracted at/by work. I'll try to do better.

I haven't participated in the past for the same reasons.

I didn't want to appear as a complete idiot. :lol:

It's hard enough already appearing as a partial one. :P

I mean, participate at all.

I began my participation with Jim R's disc.

I skipped the first two because I didn't really understand what was going on. I skipped the third because I thought once you were out of the loop for the first two then you would probably be out of it forever.

Then I couldn't resist. Had to join in, and I was very pleased with Jim's disc. Now I wish to participate in them all.

It's unlikely that I'll be able to recognize much from anyone's compilations but I'll have fun posting my impressions anyway.

Jim introduced me to Vince Guaraldi and I've been buying some of his stuff as a result.

These discs will lead me into spending $$$. I'm pretty sure of that, but my ears are open if my pocket is only partially cracked. :)

Edited by connoisseur series500

I'm not a fan of blindfold tests, guessing games, competitions of many types. I find that I have not enough time to really listen to the material that I have (and keep getting!) fully and with real enjoyment, and I am therefore not compounding my problem by getting involved in these tests.

I'm not a fan of blindfold tests, guessing games, competitions of many types. I find that I have not enough time to really listen to the material that I have (and keep getting!) fully and with real enjoyment, and I am therefore not compounding my problem by getting involved in these tests.

Certainly my problem too, Lon.

But I still enjoy the blindfold concept and wish to continue participating. If I ever get overwhelmed, I'll yell, "Uncle!" But I'm not there yet.

While I think the blindfold concept is interesting, I don't feel that I would have anything to contribute to the discussion (other than whether or not I like the music, and that's not much of a contribution). Like Lon, I also don't like games. While the idea of hearing new music sounds appealing, I don't want someone else to go to the trouble of burning and mailing CD's to me if I'm not going to participate in the discussion as it was intended. I already have too much music that I need to listen to anyway. ;)

I'd like to participate, but believe it or not, I haven't actually looked at how to register.

There is a reason for this: while I love the idea (the Downbeat feature was the best bit of the mag) I feel I cannot justify someone on your side of the pond going to the bother to burn and mail CD's when I haven't got the equipment to return the gesture.

IMO, this should be a reciprocal arrangement, otherwise the same folk will end up doing the work for the fun of everyone else.

It sounds great though, keep having fun.

cheers, tonym

I have good news for all those who hesitate to participate because they're afraid of looking like idiots. I just wasted time I shouldn't have been wasting in analyzing the results of Blindfold #1, and here are the results:

Number of participants guessing: 15

Number of tunes: 14

Song titles: 11 of 14 were not correctly guessed by anyone.

Musicians: Out of 210 total guesses (15 guessers x 14 tunes), there were 34 instances in which a poster correctly guessed ONE musician, 6 instances in which a poster correctly guessed more than one musician, and 11 instances in which the poster recognized the performance as one already known. 34 + 6 + 11 = 51 out of 210. This means over 75% of all guesses were incorrect or "I don't know." Each individual guesser had a clear majority of incorrect or "I don't know" answers.

In other words, we're all bozos on this bus, so you might as well hop on!

I agree with Tom. Just because you don't know, you're the better musically (if not economically) for having participated. For instance, from Dan's test, I picked up the Junior Mance with Eric Alexander cd and the just released Madd about Tadd CD from Continuum. Now, since I love Dameron, it's possible that I may have seen that from jazzmatazz but no way would I have found out about the Junior Mance Cd without participating in Dan's test. One good thing about the tests that have been run so far (including the current #4) is that you're listening to music that may not have been released on CD yet or ever. So, if you don't have a turntable, you're getting some good exposure to new song.

Thank you Tony (Dr J.), Dan, Jim R and Jim S.

Personally, I can't figure out what I would be signing up for or how the system works... maybe there should be a sticky thread that explains it all in little tiny words for newbies?

I understand that one can sign up to participate and receive a disc about which they post comments-- but what if we want to help do some burns (but can't do 50)? Can we just sign up for a select few when we know we may have time? Is it OK for relatively new listeners who probably have not a chance in hell of guessing more than 1 in 15?

Chris:

To answer your questions:

1.Watch for an announcement from the next BF compiler (couw) and e-mail or send a private message expressing your interest. If you want to help out with distribution, tell him at the same time-I know he needs the help!

2. You only participate in the BF tests if you contact the giver of the test. There is no presumption that everyone who has participated will participate in the future, its a blank slate. So, sign up when you know you will have time to participate.

3. Don't worry about inexperience. As someone (Tom Storer?) posted, at least 75% of guesses are wrong or "I don't know". Just give your responses to the music; if you can identify a song or think you know a soloist, go for it, but no one will look poorly at you if you're wrong-most of us are wrong, most of the time!