Finally the Blues

the boxes should finally arrive in about a week, I am told, Volume 1 of Really the Blues? A Blues History, 1893-1959. 9 CDs, I will be able to offer them for $50 plus shipping, which is $8 domestically, $16 to Europe. and here's the first review, from Amazon:

"9 discs of music-79,79,78,78,78,78,78,79,79 minutes each approximately plus 1 CD-ROM crammed with information. It's much easier on the eyes to read the info off the computer screen. When this info is printed,it's the size of (roughly) a CD jewel case (I don't know if it can be enlarged),so the print is pretty small. But the information on the various artists is well worth having,both from an historical viewpoint,and for more enjoyment of the music. Included is a conversation with jazz musician Mathew Shipp,Allen Lowe (self-interview),much valuable information (track-by-track) on the artists,and a number of b&w photographs of some of the artists. Each disc is slipped into a paper envelope-like sleeve with a cut-out,covered with a clear plastic sheet in order to read the disc information. Everything is housed in a substantial cardboard box. The graphics on the box are basically ads for the product,but there are two nice period photographs of farming and cotton picking. The booklet has track information and that's all,the rest of the info is contained on the CD-ROM.

This is the first release (of four similar sets) by Allen Lowe devoted specifically to the blues genre. Contained on these discs are tracks that virtually no one has ever heard-certainly not in the best possible sound. Saying that,don't expect miracles. There are tracks recorded beginning (in chronological order) in the nineteenth century (3),and then proceeding chronologically through the years,up into 1929. If you're an audiophile-forget it. But if the music is the most important thing to you,then there are many treasures to hear in this collection. The surface noise,while clearly discernible,is not as bad as the Paramount recordings,or other period recordings of many blues artists from roughly the same time period,and later. Almost without exception the vocals and instrumentation can clearly be heard on the vast number of these recordings.

The breadth and depth of music contained in this set is truly staggering. From the UNIQUE QUARTET FALL (1893),to Bert Williams (1906),to Arthur Collins (1918),to Sam Moore (1921),to the Florida Normal and Industrial Institute Quartet (1922),the different forms of blues music is brought to life,and that's only disc 1. The music is represented in a number of forms-gospel,folk style,declarative,and a more or less straight blues vocal style,by Mamie Smith.

As you progress through the years,a few more well known blues artists will come to light. Artists like Jelly Roll Morton,Alberta Hunter,Sylvester Weaver,Blind Lemon Jefferson,King Oliver,Meade Lux Lewis,Duke Ellington,Louis Armstrong,Buddy Boy Hawkins,Paul Robeson,Cannon's Jug Stompers,Mississippi John Hurt,Pink Anderson,Furry Lewis,and a number of others,are all here. But it's the many others (the majority) unknown to most blues listeners that will be a revelation. The mix of artists is second to none. Together,these artists perform the blues in all its many guises. This set isn't for the casual listener. This is aimed at the listener who wants to hear (and know) the history of the blues,from some of the very first recordings,through the years stated above. The price is very reasonable for whats contained in this compilation. The range of musical styles,coupled with a disc full of information,is hard to beat.

After hearing this set,I can't wait to hear the remaining three. Allen Lowe has produced a number of these collections,all with close attention to detail and a good selection of music,in other genres. If the other three sets are as good technically as this set,and they continue to encompass the many styles of blues music chronologically,he will have produced one of the best collections of historical blues ever. Track after track produces many delights,and the juxtaposition of musical styles has a good flow throughout these nine discs. So if your taste runs through the many styles of blues,and you want to hear some great music from both known and unknown artists-pick up this set as soon as you can. You won't be disappointed. "

my paypal is alowe5@maine.rr.com, which is the same as my email.

Edited by AllenLowe

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the good news is that I've found out that the box fits into one of those flat rate priorty bags - so the new LOW shipping cost is $6.50, domestic (I've tacked on a little extra to defray paypal somewhat) -

I will be out of town until the end of this week, and I expect the shipment will be here early next week -

also, another (semi-) review:

"The selection is a real revelation, and the mastering is amazing. A landmark

piece of work." -- John Szwed

Edited by AllenLowe

another review just popped:

"in the case of this extensive history of the blues, the first of 4 volumes, the whole is definitely the sum of the parts. Allen Lowe, who compiled the set of 9 CDS, has carefully articulated the larger musical picture of blues by assembling spirituals, folk songs and jazz tunes that have been identified as blues-based compositions be the artist white or black. The sound of these old, lo-fi, monophonic 78s and cylinder recordings is as clean and clear as I’ve ever heard from a major label. But getting past the sound fidelity is the whole point here because it’s the music, the voices and the spirit of real performances that has been effectively captured. The remarkable musical and historical journey on disc is aided by Lowe’s companion essay on a CD-ROM. Highlights include “Viola Lee Blues” by Cannon’s Jug Stompers and “Crucifixion” by pianist, Arizona Dranes. The set also includes inspired performances by Jelly Roll Morton, Bessie Smith, Ma Rainey, Johnny Dodds and Lonnie Johnson. These artists are mixed into a collection that includes early Minstrelsy, Appalachian Folk songs, Gospel and New Orleans Street bands.

--John Corcelli

Hope some folks with more knowledge than I will share their thoughts on this when they've had a chance to digest it a bit. I've been particularly taken with the string bands. The ukulele playing on 'Meddlin' with the Blues' (disc 3) is phenomenal. Had to listen to it three straight times to catch everything he was doing. Amazing.

disc 4 now (which comes out of the gates with a mighty roar).

Love what I'm hearing so far. Very nice to have these in one big set

instead of having them spread out over Document, Archeophone, etc discs.

The detail guy in me is making some error corrections tho and

I'll check these against the CD-ROM notes soon instead of just the small enclosed booklet.

For example: The recordings that I have of Polk Miller use the alternate style spelling of Quartette - the same with the Male Quartette.

Was the Victory Military Band ever known as an Orchestra?

Also, the "Swanee Blues" performance is from J. Milton Delcamp which I remember from an old Folkways recording called "Swingin" Piano."

Anyway, some smaller things like W.C. Handy punctuation and

the addition of "The" in a couple of performer instances pleases the archivist in me.

Will visit the 2nd disc tomorrow. Really great stuff!

Sure Allen! Really love it. Yesterday, I was comparing the Levitsch Tanzorchester version that you have of "I’ve Got a Cross Eyed Papa (But He Looks Straight to Me)" with others that were done about the same time from Valdemar Eiberg, Oliver Naylor and Marion Harris. Quite a silly popular song it was!

Just starting Disc 8 now...

Also, you may want to let the folks at this website know about these sets if you haven't already:

http://weeniecampbell.com/

Their Forum is here.

R~~

Edited by rostasi