RIP Steve Reid, drummer (1944-2010)

clifford_thornton

Thanks Clifford. Unfortunately the original is a little expensive to try out. I think I know what you mean with that charm. I don’t think that’s the issue with the Soul Jazz reissue. Especially because side b sounds even worse than side a. I have read more complaints about it. But no reviews of the Universal Sound edition :(

5 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

That’s strange. I have a copy of the Soul Jazz reissue and it sounds raw but decent to my ears. I had the toddler dancing round the kitchen to Lions of Juda the other day...

Oh boy am I turning into an audiophile? :unsure:

1 hour ago, Rabshakeh said:

The Steve Hoffman guys are on their way.

Funny you say that. I am active there from time to time and I am stunned by their obsession with sound quality. I seriously heard someone say there that he really disliked some records. Until they came out as a Tone Poet. Then he suddenly liked them. How do those kind of people listen to music?

34 minutes ago, Pim said:

Funny you say that. I am active there from time to time and I am stunned by their obsession with sound quality. I seriously heard someone say there that he really disliked some records. Until they came out as a Tone Poet. Then he suddenly liked them. How do those kind of people listen to music?

Ha ha ha. No idea.

Just before our most recent lockdown, a bargain addict friend of mine bought a whole lot of old stereo- and hi-fi-testing vinyl from a North London record shop. All of the records are just recordings of bells and recording tones that pan from speaker to speaker.  They were commercial releases, apparently. Probably a lot cheaper than Tone Poets.