Your print media jazz coverage

I'd love to know what your hometown print media jazz coverage is like - anything in daily mainstream papers, local entertainment freebies, lifestyle magazines etc.

Are there writers who cover the local scene in your area? Are they knowledgeable and well informed? Or are they a laughing stock?

Does your local press just cover the likes of Norah and Diana and so on?

Feel free to quote examples!

In Paris, the two newspapers that cover the jazz scene best are

'Liberation' and 'Le Monde'. Both deal with jazz about once a week.

'Liberation' today had a review of a jazz release by the Canadian

band Susie Arioli Swing Band on Justin' Time. The Liberation jazz critic

Serge Loupien has a jazz taste of his own but he has interesting views.

Le Monde also reviews some jazz releases once a week. Both have feature

articles from time to time. They have two regular jazz writers Francis

Marmande and Sylvain Siclier

They cover the summer festivals scene and also write about the main

jazz concerts.

'Le Figaro' also has a less frequent jazz column. They had a pretty

good article on Lee Konitz not very long ago. And 'Le Figaro'

publishes a weekly supplement which comes with its Wednesday

edition that lists all music concerts in Paris (including jazz clubs

appearances).

El zippo in the mainstream ... of course, what do you expect from a town that's supposed to be the "country music capitol of the world"? <_< Whatever "country music" is these days ...

There are a couple of undergrounds that have a smattering every now and then. At least they do provide club listings, of which there are a couple of places that do feature jazz nightly or fairly regularly.

In Winnipeg, at least in the mainstream paper that I normally read, it's pretty weak. Basically one jazz article per week (on Monday), that normally includes info on upcoming concerts/club dates or maybe a feature of a musician; sometimes there's an extra article on Monday, or another day for a concert review. Also, on Saturdays there's probably one jazz disc reviewed, although it is only about a paragraph in length.

The thing I dislike most, however, is how most articles/reviews have merely generic terms (eg. swinging, great, good, etc) in describing the music. It's as if the writer in question has only a limited grasp of musical terminolgy (not that that should necessarily make the articles or reviews of lesser quality) or if he is well versed in the area, the editors want him to tone it down so the average Joe can read the thing easily. I suspect the former and the articles, in his case, do suffer because they are predictable in their wording and content (or lack there of).

Here's a CD review from today's Free Press that illustrates what I was talking about in the above post. The review is written by Chris Smith:

Heather Bambrick - IT'S ABOUT TIME (Independant)

Toronto singer Heather Bambrick mixes standards and originals on her debut solo album – a mix well-chosen for her voice and the excellent recording band that includes pianist Mike Murley and guitarist Michael Occhipinti.

Bambrick does a good job with classics such as Love For Sale and Joyspring, plus three tunes she wrote or co-wrote, including the snappy Aren't I Cute?  A version of Stormy Weather, however, doesn't quite make it.  On the other hand, the folk tune Let Me Fish Off Cape St. Mary's, is a very affecting song done as a vocal/piano duo.  ***1/2

This review might not seem particularly monotonous, but if you read them week after week, it's as if they're all just variations on a theme; they all start to sound the same after a really short while. No real detail, just a superficial take on the album.