Janiva Magness tour dates

I very much hope to see Janiva get booked somewhere in south Florida because I still want to see her (and Jim) but I have to say that I got a chance to sample two of her albums and I really wasn't blown away. Great voice, no doubt - but I found the tunes wanting. I think I was really looking for a pure blues recording a la Reba Russell (who I think deserves the kind of success Ms Magness has found) and there were elements I didn't care much for. Not to say all the tunes were like that but there were just a few "gems" and a lotta "mehs".

I'd still go out to see her if she makes it down here though.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan, what records did you pick up? I have her two on Alligator including the newest, which is her strongest yet, imo. No, they aren't traditional blues. Maybe better to approach them without expectations.

Joe, yes I am singing backing vocals in the band. A lot of backing vocals! :)

I heard the new one, and What Love Will Do, which I actually preferred. But you're right, I need to approach them again without preconceptions. Like I said, I'd still like to see her in concert if she gets booked somewhere between Palm Beach county and Miami-Dade. You should tell her management about the new B.B. King Blues Club that opened in West Palm.

What a fun show that was!! She has a dynamite stage presence and gives off that 'I'm comfortable in my skin' vibe (speaking of which, her 'arm flab' routine is a definite crowd pleaser w/the older ladies) :) ....so I can see why she was voted entertainer of the year a couple of times over. First time my wife had seen the B3 in action...and was impressed!

If you're able to catch the show, it's well worth it.

Just got to Freeport. Man, that was a LONG drive. It seemed like no matter what we did, we got caught in horrendous traffic. But we're here. Looking forward to the show tomorrow (er... later today) at The Venue.

Driving through Maine... I can't believe my wife went to college up here. It's just... weird. :)

got my tickets - will try to get there a little early to see if I can get you fired

(Lowe to manager: "Is Jim here? He said he could get me a date with the singer") -

Allen, I yanked the neighbor's kid out of his seat the other night....then carried it (not Jr!!) over to the Birchmere and stashed it on the Freeport-bound bus. So stay in your seat tonite....have a Lime Rickey or two....and behave yourself!! ^_^

wbaby.jpg

hey Jim, just got home, had to go around 10:15, and the band was still burning, sorry I couldn't say goodbye (been up since 5:30 AM) - impressive show, she is really a great singer and very charismatic performer -

and thanks for telling me I'm your favorite Organissimo member -

oops, not sure that I'm supposed to mention that in public, sorry (hope Weizen doesn't decide to lock the thread in a jealous fit) -

also, hope you don't mind, but I signed your name for my bar tab -

sorry, as I said, I'd been up since dawn, also had to go pick up my daughter -

let me re-iterate, I loved the band, and it was nice that she gave you so much space (and who shrunk your B3?)

I don't get out to hear much world-class music in this part of the world, so it was a nice change of pace - also, let me note, she is not only a terrific singer, but has significantly more impact in person than on record - no surprise with any good performer, but particularly notable in the 21st century, where recording techniques tend to "tame" the impact of singers in particular.

you guys should do a "live" album -