Janiva Magness tour dates

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll see you tonight at the Regattabar, Jim. I'm looking forward to it.

I haven't been to a blues show in many years. I've seen Lavay Smith a couple of times and Michelle "Evil Gal" Wilson, so this won't be my first show with a female blues singer. I stopped going to blues shows when it started to seem like they were all getting way too loud for my ears. Why is it that guitar-based blues bands have to have their amps at '11'? :)

Kevin

Why do blues guitarists play loud? Because the amps sound the best when they are cranked. That's why the guitarist in Janiva's band uses a 1948 Valco amp that's only 5 watts, which he had modified with an output (from the preamp) so he can then put it through a Fender Super Reverb to get a bit more volume. But the Valco is cranked and adds the tone.

Wednesday night at the Regattabar was a blast. Kevin Bresnahan came out but was nowhere to be found after the show. Don't know if you stayed for the whole thing or not, my man. It was pretty loud in that tiny space. The acoustics in there are awful. You'd think after 25 years they'd do something to make it sound better.

Last night at Gerald Veasley's JazzBase was a hoot. Tonight we're at Warmdaddy's in Philly! Same for tomorrow night. I know Ron S is coming out tomorrow. Anyone else?

Wednesday night at the Regattabar was a blast. Kevin Bresnahan came out but was nowhere to be found after the show. Don't know if you stayed for the whole thing or not, my man. It was pretty loud in that tiny space. The acoustics in there are awful. You'd think after 25 years they'd do something to make it sound better.

Sorry Jim, but I couldn't stay for the whole show. It was painfully loud for my messed up right ear. I screwed up and forgot the earplugs I usually bring to shows that I think might get a little loud. When Janiva winced a couple of times because of a some nasty feedback, I felt my right ear for blood drops. :)

What I did see was great.

Kevin

• 4 weeks later...

If it was really really Big Al karma, the bass player would get violently, call-the-ambulance NOW, ill five minutes before downbeat... ;)

Don't get my hopes up like that now!!! :D

but Al would be caught in traffic. <_<

With all the Jerrydome-related construction, that is a valid concern. Maybe I better get there on the third and pray that it doesn't rain between the 3rd and the 5th, one because I don't wanna chance another citywide power outage and two because I don't want my bass to get wet. ;)

:lol:

If it was really Big Al karma, Jim would be opening for Dennis DeYoung.

GAAAAHHH!!! Really don't be getting my hopes up like that!!! :rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've been criss crossing the country like mad. Vegas was actually a lot of fun. Last week we had gigs in Grand Rapids, Lansing, Tuscawaras OH, Lewisburg WV (at the original Carnegie Hall), and Columbus, OH.

This weekend we're in Portland OR at the Waterfront Blues Festival.

Next week we're going all around Colorado.

4 Portland, OR

Waterfront Blues Festival

7 Durango, CO

Abbey Theater

8 Woodland Park, CO

Crystola Roadhouse

9 Longmount, CO

Oskar Blues

10 Denver, CO

Blues & Brews Festival

11 Taos, NM

Solar Center

• 1 month later...

I keep forgetting to update this thread. Luckily medjuck saw our show listed in the paper and came out to Santa Barbara the other week! :)

Upcoming weeks, finishing up August.

12 Bowling Green, OH

The Clazel Theater

13 WFPK Live Lunch

91.9 FM WFPK, Louisville

13 Louisville, KY

The Vernon Club

14 Wheeling, WV

Heritage Blues Festival

22 New York, NY

Hudson River Festival