mono or stereo? Blue Notes from Classic Records and/or Analogue Prods.

hard bop head

Hi all!

I'm new here and this is my first post.

I'm considering purchasing a title or two of the above. Classic Records 200 gm. or maybe the Analogue Prods. 45 rpm.

I don't think I like the idea of turning the record over every ten minutes or so, which likely rules out 45rpm.

I've done my research online as best that I can and it seems that people really like OR don't like at all the Classic 200 gm.

But my question, of which I hope someone will chime in, is :

Most of the Classics are mono, my current hook-up employs a Sansui 50wpc receiver(Sansui G-4700), which doesn't have a mono feature for the phono section. My deck is a Pioneer with a nice, new and lovely Shure M97xe cart. So I'm definitely not going to change to a mono cart,i.e. Grado.

Are the Classics going to be unsatisfactory played through the Sansui's stereo? I suppose the answer is yes, which would leave me with the only option of getting another receiver or integrated amp that has a mono switch.

Other than that I am a longtime lover of hard bop and slowly rebuilding my vinyl collection after ditching everything digital!

I never did really much care for the "RVG remasters" cd's, just too damn bright and shrill....

Thanks a bunch for any input,

mark.

If your amp does not have a mono switch, get a couple of inexpensive Y-adapter patch cords from Radio Shack and plug your turntable lines into the Y adapter before going into the amp when playing a mono record.

Playing mono records in mono significantly reduces surface noise and groove distortion.

Hi all,

Thanks for the welcome and special thanks regarding the Y-adapter idea. I'll give it a try.

While it may be preferable to sum to mono (if only to reduce noise), I've never found it "unsatisfactory" to play mono LPs through a stereo rig. A good new pressing should also have minimal noise (ticks pops, etc), so I really wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't recall what the Classics go for ($30 maybe?), but if you have a recording that you really love and want the vinyl of it, I'd recommend springing for the AP 45s. They really do sound great. In any case, the nice thing about summing to mono is the y-cable is cheap.

While it may be preferable to sum to mono (if only to reduce noise), I've never found it "unsatisfactory" to play mono LPs through a stereo rig. A good new pressing should also have minimal noise (ticks pops, etc), so I really wouldn't worry about it too much. I don't recall what the Classics go for ($30 maybe?), but if you have a recording that you really love and want the vinyl of it, I'd recommend springing for the AP 45s. They really do sound great. In any case, the nice thing about summing to mono is the y-cable is cheap.

I respect where you're coming from, but if you pay $30 for a mono record and don't even treat it to a true mono playback, you're not getting your money's worth. IMHO. It's well worth the $5.99 to spring for the Y adapter connections and hook them up before listening.

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Because they were only recorded in stereo. The mono is simply folded-down stereo. There was no mono mix so all you need is two Y-adapters and you can make any stereo LP sound "mono".

Well, just because they were fold-downs does not mean that they were not balanced to sound good, or even superior, after they were folded down.

And having it folded down prior to LP pressing is better than hitting the mono button on the stereo, because all of the information is spread out over the entire spectrum, rather than being read from one-half of the groove. No real difference, though, with a stereo CD folded down in that regard.

I always prefer Blue Notes in mono, and would always spring for a mono LP over a stereo, fold-down or not.

Are you sure?

It could make some sense, whatever one think about 'mono maniacs'

A fold down at mixing stage adds tape's hiss and noise, like any further generation of analog tapes, a 'sum' of the amp 'mix' togheter the distortion of both channel of the cartdridge's tracking. And the shift of phase.

Though I never did any test about the issue, and probably I'll never do.