Fall In Love w/Sarah Vaughan

JSngry

Falling in love again...

Eyes open or shut, it's that perfect mix of melodic/harmonic/rhythmic imagination and breathtaking chops that never fails to give me chills and makes it difficult to remain seated (I liked it).

Not sure I'd seen this whole clip, so muchas gracias. :cool:

While I do really try to live in the present, some things really were a lot better in the old days -- and one of them was jazz singing. The standards were so much higher just to get in the game. Holy cow, that's simply an amazing performance, especially, for me, the casual authority of the expression. I mean, everything is at the highest, most sophisticated musical level, but nothing is forced, and the genius doesn't preclude the populist appeal. In fact, it may enhance it.

Thanks for posting.

Edited by Mark Stryker

sassy, yes! here are two rare performances of "round midnight " and "misty" from the cascais jazz festival in lisboa, portugal 1973:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2yctVpkEUM

and:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjQ1hdscfrg

i was looking for these performances for a long time since i saw them with my wife (she´s from lisbon)on screen in a jazz club in lisbon and finally found them. it´s from the archive of the portuguese television. enjoy!

keep boppin´

marcel

Hell, if I had that voice and could work it like that, I think I'd feel some love for it my own self.

I hear what you're saying, Jim. It's just that for me, her voice is an entity unto itself & not a means of communication - if that makes sense. That's always been a problem for me when I listen to her. I'm glad that you and others can hear her differently than I do. It would be a boring world if we all agreed on everything.

I feel that way myself about a great deal of her later work, actually...not nearly as enjoyable for me, too much "weightiness", often overwhelming the material. Not always, but often enough. I think she lost a lot of playfulness as the years went by, which is understandable, life being what it is and all that...

But this earlier stuff, to me it's like watching a prime young Dwight Gooden pitch, where the body, mind, and spirit are all on the same page, the kid just knows they can do anything they want to, they've got the intrinsic hipness to know what to do, and they revel in their sheer ability to do it as well as what it is they're doing. Or like when Dexter would get into that zone where he felt really good & there were no obstacles...that's what this feels like to me.

Plus, she's sexy as hell here!

It's this type thing when I say, yeah, "Sassy" indeed!

I love Sarah. This reminds me to ask. Does anybody know if her Mainstream record with Jimmy Rowles has ever been issued on cd? I've never seen it. I know Jazz Heritage put out some of her Mainstream stuff, but I've never seen that one.

gregmo

Hell, if I had that voice and could work it like that, I think I'd feel some love for it my own self.

I hear what you're saying, Jim. It's just that for me, her voice is an entity unto itself & not a means of communication - if that makes sense. That's always been a problem for me when I listen to her. I'm glad that you and others can hear her differently than I do. It would be a boring world if we all agreed on everything.

Funny, I feel that way about Ella. Although I love both, the way I see the 3 most famous/greatest (whatever you wanna call it) jazz lady singers is:

Ella: I'm listening to a master craftsman, song is a means to performance and wowing us with her voice and skills

Billie: Bring out the inner workings of a song to reflect a personal touch

Sarah: at her best, the perfect balance, and therefore my favorite singer ever.

I'll also agree that she's better when younger.

This is like my favorite thing ever, her version of Black Coffee (not a video, just the song): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR8fsEDEvdc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
2 hours ago, jazzbo said:

I've fallen out of love with Sarah. Just don't reach for her the last few years. But I'll probably feel an infatuation grow before too long.

Yes, I'm pretty much ther3e, seems like at some point she lost that youthful spunk...still remained an exceptional/exquisite singer, though. But...this early-ish stuff, she's just so...uh....sassy. the way she thrusts her face and moves her jaw and rolls her shoulders...it's virtuostic and sexy in equal measure. Like an olympic athlete or something.