Hank Mobley

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am not sure that there have been time limits + unit limits on all sets. I would assume that there is only a unit limit that applies to this licensing agreement.

Sad though that even with the sea-change in attitudes about Hank's artistry, the 50s stuff just doesn't sell. I don't know how many units sold of the 60s reissues but in better days, BN put out pretty much all of it. I do recall MC saying something about the problem that 50s sessions have in the marketplace but I'd still think that there would be more interest. Its great music, and I'd have the Mosaic set if I hadn't bought all of the sessions as TOCJs.

Thanks for the info, everyone. I have several Hank Mobley's blue note CDs, but I think most of what I own were recorded in the 60s. Since I don't have any of the sessions that are included in the 50s set, $96 was an excellent price. I placed my order and I'm looking forward to it.

I won't hesitate to say that it will probably be the best $96 you ever spend in your life in terms of musical enjoyment.

Congrats !

Thanks, Sidewinder. Now I'm anticipating the delivery even more.

(I should mention, though, that I once found a used copy of Dexter Gordon's complete 60's blue note sessions (also 6 discs) for $23.99. That's easily the best money I've ever spent on CDs and it's going to be hard to beat.)

This was released in the US too.

31PHDDXKPZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Really? Never saw that one, otherwise I would have grabbed a copy before I went for the Box.

Yep, I still have a copy of that issue - picked up in Canada. Possibly Collectors Choice - will have to check.

This wasn't one of the CCs according to the list I kept. I've seen it, it's rare, but I only saw it after I got the TOCJ. Which means I didn't buy it so can't confirm the date of issue. The cat. no. is CDP 7243 8 37668 2 6. I thought it might be a title that was issued in the late 80s as part of the glut then (unusually) not reissued as a CC, but the date of issue I find on the interweb is 1996, which is weird - how would we have missed it?

Edited by David Ayers

Grab the box before i goes OOP and will fetch mucho $$$ on eBay overnight.

/Shaft

Would it though? The vinyl, for sure...but the cd set? We all know that there are numerous oop sets that command high prices......but is this the case with every single oop set? Don't know.

Mosaic has sold at least 5,000 CD sets. I know because my set is numbered in that range and I bought it 4 years ago.

The fact that Mosaic has had such trouble getting to the 7,500 mark indicates to me the market for this set is tapped out. Since it's been for sale for so long, I doubt it will command premium prices once it finally goes OOP. It will probably mimic the J.J. Johnson set, which also was available for an extended period of time and seldom fetches more than 50% beyond its original price.

Edited by mellowT