Hank Mobley

Bought it used (on CD) last year from Vinyl Exchange, Manchester for about £6. There are lots of them, new and used, on Amazon.uk at the moment. It goes without saying that it's a very fine album!

Indeed, great record. My ex girlfriend is a Hank Mobley fan (don't ask why I let that go) and was very surprised on hearing it - guess Milt was the kicker.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Grab the box before i goes OOP and will fetch mucho $$$ on eBay overnight.

/Shaft

Would it though? The vinyl, for sure...but the cd set? We all know that there are numerous oop sets that command high prices......but is this the case with every single oop set? Don't know.

Mosaic has sold at least 5,000 CD sets. I know because my set is numbered in that range and I bought it 4 years ago.

The fact that Mosaic has had such trouble getting to the 7,500 mark indicates to me the market for this set is tapped out. Since it's been for sale for so long,

So long is right! This is one of those occassions where you'd like to see Hank go oop in style. Might be time for Mosaic to float the little white lie that the set is getting seriously low so that it can be reported here and over at Hoffman....then, during the ensuing scramble, we can all play our bit part & dig deep one more time to make this thing disappear from the shelves in a couple of days. Most of us already have 3 copies of every Hank title, but I'm sure the majority will step up to the plate to see this thing through. Scott, you reading this?? Time to set in motion a chain reaction. :cool:

Count me among those who will join the ensuing scramble. I've purposely not purchased any of the material on this set (I have most all of the 60s releases) knowing that one day I'll pull the trigger. That said, it's been over a decade now and my willpower is waning. Good news is, I'm pretty sure that my one-year-old son has got his eye on this one for me for Father's Day.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a followup, I received this set (#7479) earlier this week and I'm really enjoying it. Thanks to everyone for the great recommendation.

If that number is correct, then this set should be hitting "Running Low" or "Last Chance" in the very near future. Are you sure that first digit is a "7"?

Just as a followup, I received this set (#7479) earlier this week and I'm really enjoying it. Thanks to everyone for the great recommendation.

If that number is correct, then this set should be hitting "Running Low" or "Last Chance" in the very near future. Are you sure that first digit is a "7"?

Yes, if that number is correct, I would strongly suggest that anyone on this board who hasn't yet bought the Mobley, do so now! Perhaps there was another mix-up at headquarters and we'll soon be receiving another bad news email.

On the other hand, you may have gotten the guy with the bad penmanship. :g

No, MG--they DO number the big boxes consecutively. It's the Selects, when they were individually numbered, that weren't numbered consecutively (of course, the newer Selects aren't numbered at all). It was Brad who initially posted about this several years ago, after receiving an email from Mosaic about it. I've linked to that post several times over the years, but I'll see if I can find it yet again. rolleyes.gif

No, MG--they DO number the big boxes consecutively. It's the Selects, when they were individually numbered, that weren't numbered consecutively (of course, the newer Selects aren't numbered at all). It was Brad who initially posted about this several years ago, after receiving an email from Mosaic about it. I've linked to that post several times over the years, but I'll see if I can find it yet again. rolleyes.gif

Well, they do number them consecutively, of course, but do they send them out in numerical order?

I'd like to see that post again. No idea what the connection is or how to find it.

MG

I'd like to see that post again. No idea what the connection is or how to find it.

MG

Then this is your lucky day, 'cause I was able to find it--yet again. tophat.gif

I sent an email to Mosaic regarding this numbering question and here's the answer:

The numbers on Mosaic sets are sequential as the order is placed. The system

assigns the next number which you may have noticed is on the invoice that is

sent to you. That number is then written in the booklet at the time of

packing. There can be some exceptions such as when a set is returned and

that number is then recirculated back into the system.

For Mosaic Selects, we get an initial delivery of the first 750 - 1000

sequential numbers. They are randomly picked. After that first pressing, the

sets are picked at random.

http://www.organissi...ndpost&p=255876

Bottom line: big boxes are sequentially assigned a number as they're sold and shipped, meaning that anyone still wanting the Mobley set better grab it pronto.

MG

Then this is your lucky day, 'cause I was able to find it--yet again. tophat.gif

I sent an email to Mosaic regarding this numbering question and here's the answer:

Bottom line: big boxes are sequentially assigned a number as they're sold and shipped, meaning that anyone still wanting the Mobley set better grab it pronto.

Thanks Ron.

MG

MG

Thanks Ron.

But it looks like they've another 2,550 odd copies before they hit ten thousand. Or was this a 7,500 set?

MG

Thanks Ron.

But it looks like they've another 2,550 odd copies before they hit ten thousand. Or was this a 7,500 set?

MG

It's a 7,500 set.

However, we still haven't gotten verification from mixedupfiles that his set is really #7479. With that number, the Mobley should already be in "Running Low," if not "Last Chance."

This was released in the US too.

31PHDDXKPZL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Really? Never saw that one, otherwise I would have grabbed a copy before I went for the Box.

Yep, I still have a copy of that issue - picked up in Canada. Possibly Collectors Choice - will have to check.

This wasn't one of the CCs according to the list I kept. I've seen it, it's rare, but I only saw it after I got the TOCJ. Which means I didn't buy it so can't confirm the date of issue. The cat. no. is CDP 7243 8 37668 2 6. I thought it might be a title that was issued in the late 80s as part of the glut then (unusually) not reissued as a CC, but the date of issue I find on the interweb is 1996, which is weird - how would we have missed it?

IIRC I didn't buy it because I was kind of disappointed that they didn't include another session - the 10" debut Blue Note would fitted nicely, enough playing time left and identical rhythm sections. Would have been a nice combination. 

And I had a Japanese LP pressing of the date with Bags ... BTW I just saw I still have it - if anyone's interested, send me a pm with an offer.

Yes grab the big box while it is still around - excellent music on a consistently good level all the way through. 

I don't know Mike what you're talking about because that 10" session is included in the set.......Maybe you should buy it now when still available.

I think he meant that the 10" date could have been added to the Hank Mobley and His All Stars CD pictured above.

You guys got me nervous so this afternoon I inquired with Mosaic; I was told it'll be around at least another year.

Another year? In that case I can hardly believe the numbering is sequential, with mixedupfiles' set being in the high 7400s and the total number being 7500.