Hank Mobley

I'm enjoying my Mobley Mosaic - right now I'm listening to the session with Lee Morgan & Donald Byrd. But on "Touch and Go" (disc one, track 9), does anybody else have a weird electronic noise just after the four minute mark? It lasts less than a second, but is disconcerting. I don't know if I have a defective disc or if there was a mastering error that resulted in this sound on all copies.

Yes, right at the 4:03 mark it sounds like a stray trumpet note.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm enjoying my Mobley Mosaic - right now I'm listening to the session with Lee Morgan & Donald Byrd. But on "Touch and Go" (disc one, track 9), does anybody else have a weird electronic noise just after the four minute mark? It lasts less than a second, but is disconcerting. I don't know if I have a defective disc or if there was a mastering error that resulted in this sound on all copies.

Don't have it at hand to check, but did you look at the back of the booklet (producer's note or something like that?) - usually they're quite accurate to note such mistakes, same as on other Blue Note discs, where there are notes about "phasing cymbals" etc...

Yes, that's the first place I checked - I agree that they're quite thorough in pointing out problems in the source material.

Yes, right at the 4:03 mark it sounds like a stray trumpet note.

In a weird way, that makes me feel better. I can accept it more easily knowing that it's not just a defect in my copy.

I got # 7421, fwiw. Maybe somebody bade a "1" that looked like a "7"... 7419 instead of 7479?

But that would still mean there are but a few dozen left... do these sets sell so slowly that this is no reason yet to put them on the "running low" list? That's sad!

Well, you figure that if they've sold 7000+ over the last 10 years, that ain't so bad, really. Probably more than any of the individual LPs sold, ever.

There's only so many Hank Mobley fanatics in the world...

Dunno - MC was quoted in David Rosenthal's book "Hard bop" as saying that "average initial (my emphasis)sales for more straight ahead LPs like Jackie McLean's New Soil, ... ran from 6000 to 8000 copies, the break even mark being about 2500."

All the Hank fans have obviously kept their original DG mono copies :D

MG

I just finished listening to the Hank Mobley Quartet 10" session, which I had never heard before. I'm tempted to say that it was worth the price of the set (#7426, by the way) itself - just superb.

That and Griffin's first Argo LP are some of the best tenor sax debut albums ever recorded, IMHO.

Not to sidetrack the thread, but Joe Henderson's "Page One" is the best I can think of in this class (and Henderson's earlier appearance on Kenny Dorham's "Una Mas" is just as remarkable, one of the greatest pure debuts ever in my opinion) -- his mature voice was there right from the starter's gun of his recording career.

Edited by Mark Stryker

so on avg BN made about 7 or 8 thousand copies of a record? thats a lot of records

Initial sales - those albums were available for years.

In '69 I went into a shop in Harrow, suburban NW London - not the jazz centre of Britain. Found it remarkable that the guy had a copy of Fred Jackson's "Hooting in Tooting", so I remarked on it, to be told that he usually sold half a dozen copies of it a year!!!

MG

• 2 weeks later...

I don't hear it in iTunes (I downloaded the box). I'll check out the physical CD later.

Also on the Mosaic box is a little chirp at the beginning of 'Don't Get Too Hip' (around 1:05). Anyone else hear this?

I have the TOCJ of Freddie Hubbard's Goin' Up and I had noticed something similar at the end of Freddie's solo on 'The Changing Scene'. I suspect we are looking at the same phenomenon.

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Anybody else hear the stray trumpet note?

Yep. Just checked on my iPod (a transfer from my Mosaic set), and it sounds as if it's a split-second of another recording intruding into this one. Through the iPod ear buds, the "trumpet" is in the left channel, and the underlying mono recording seems to disappear for that brief, stereo moment. I suspect that it's a Mosaic mastering glitch, or perhaps a pressing glitch that only shows up in later production runs.

not that it has anything to do with stay notes ... but, when I first purchased the set years ago I transferred some onto cassette for the car.

Funny thing was that the first few songs from disc one (quartet sessions) had a rumble and whirr OVER the music that ended when the first few songs did - not the deck, tried different tapes, became obsessed - Mosaic sent a replacement and it did the same. weird but the disc itself played fine and this anomaly was only apparent when on a cassette.

albumcovers-thepolice-ghostinthemachine1981.jpg

:)

not that it has anything to do with stay notes ... but, when I first purchased the set years ago I transferred some onto cassette for the car.

Funny thing was that the first few songs from disc one (quartet sessions) had a rumble and whirr OVER the music that ended when the first few songs did - not the deck, tried different tapes, became obsessed - Mosaic sent a replacement and it did the same. weird but the disc itself played fine and this anomaly was only apparent when on a cassette.

(only arrived today because of German customs Nazis).

Hey, come on, that's not fair; they're only doing their job, they didn't make the rules.

It's totally fair. Want an example for them bending the rules every time I have contact with them?

a) You get a note saying there's a package waiting for you.

b) You pick it up two days late.

c) On that note it said: If you don't pick it up after 7 days, we still start (!) charging a storage fee.

d) Yoiu pick it up after 9 days and ...

e) They charge a storage fee for the whole 9 days.

When asked on what basis (direct quote coming up, from today): "Sue us." (I guess nobody ever does for 5 Euro and something (that's what I had to pay)). Illegal, but they won't stop doing it until you drag their asses to the Supreme Court.

Plus: The last four times they over-charged me by about 6 Euro each time by simply making up (!) postage although they have all the papers in front of them, etc. Because I have to deal with them via mail, they ALWAYS pull shit like that because they know nobody is going to go through the trouble for petty change.

Nazis.

Edited by neveronfriday

(only arrived today because of German customs Nazis).

Hey, come on, that's not fair; they're only doing their job, they didn't make the rules.

Funny, that was also the excuse given by most of the....never mind.

My point is that accusing customs of acting like Nazis is way out of proportion and over the line. It's a nuisance when someone's foreign packages are mis-handled by customs, but crimes against humanity, war crimes and mass murder as committed by the Nazis are in a totally different class. Let's keep things in perspective.