Mark Charig / Keith Tippett - Pipedream (Ogun)

blake

Just noticed that Ogun has issued this one on CD for the first time. My interest is piqued. Anyone have any thoughts on this one?

Here's the write-up from Dusty Groove, peppy as usual…

A really amazing little record -- quite different than anything else we've ever heard from British trumpeter Mark Charig -- and for good reason, too! This unique performance was improvised live in a country church -- Charig exploring the space magically with his trumpet, while Keith Tippett plays away on the church's organ -- making these really weird and wonderful sounds that create a similar vibe to some of the sparer improvisations you might hear from Sun Ra! The mix of organ and trumpet is amazing -- and other cuts feature wordless vocal sounds from Ann Winter, which are equally haunting, but in a different way too. Titles include "Bellaphon", "Vega", "Ode To The Ghost Of An Improvised Past", "Pipedream", and "Pavanne". Also features the previously unissued "The Trio Gets Lost In The Magic Forest". © 1996-2010, Dusty Groove America, Inc.

How does it compare to Ian Carr's 'Sounds and Sweet Airs' with John Taylor on pipe organ also recorded in a church (well, cathedral actually)? I haven't heard Pipedream.

[bTW Clifford - can't reply to your PM because I can't seem to access my PMs]

Edited by RogerF

I flirted with buying this yesterday from a stall at Freedom of the City. The final decision not to was based on the vocal element. Are the vocals on all tracks? are they wordless or lyrics? Any clues from those in the know gratefully accepted.

Cover art is fabulously of its time, it has to be said

Has yet to surface on any of the domestic UK CD sites.

If anyone spots it, please alert.

I ordered mine direct from Hazel Miller at Ogun Records today - £11.50 incl. p&p.

She takes Paypal on:

ogunrecords@googlemail.com

Thanks, Headman.

I've ordered via Hazel before. Will take that route.

Yes I'm beginning to think of alternatives but it does seem particularly unfortunate to order from the US or bigger supplier. I'd preferred to put money straight into Ogun's coffers and their office is about 500 yards from my home! Maybe I'll go knock on the door...

Well, some sort of response is pretty normal behavior, I would think. Never understood why I've never received one in the past.

I heard within a day and got the CD in another two. Are you using the correct e-mail address?

ogunrecords@googlemail.com

I noticed that Downtown Music Gallery are advertising it here:

DMG

BTW it's excellent!

Glad to hear it's excellent. Even more intrigued now.

just checked and that's the address I used. Think I'll notch this one up to experience...I should have bought it when I had it my hand a fortnight ago. At least I'm enjoying the Eddie Prevost I bought instead

I assume that's what I used - whatever was advertised when the Blue Notes box came out, which was the last time I tried to do an order w/ them/her.

You may have used the Cadillac Jazz e-mail address that's still shown on the website. Cadillac Jazz has ceased trading (I think!) and Hazel is running Ogun Records from her front room until she can find new premises.

Got hold of a copy (the phone proves mightier than the email).

What a marvellous album, on the first listen through at least. Feels like a recording to return to many times. I've only known Charig's playing in a few medium-sized ensembles and this is a revelation. Can anyone reccomend other recordings in which he's prominent, especially smaller ensembles?

It was the enthusiasm of everyone's response to the news of reissue that persuaded me to try it ,so thanks to everyone involved in the discussion of this release.

Mine arrived today - three working days (5 if you count the weekend) is good by my experience.

Some great Charig on Tippett's 'Septober Energy'. Might not be what you are looking for, but he pulls off some beautiful solos on King Crimson's 'Lizard' and 'Islands' (especially the title track of the latter). There's a very free disc from the 80s called 'Boundaries' with Elton Dean and Tippett. In fact if you check Tippett/Dean in the 70s/80s he's often there. He was also in the London Jazz Composers Orchestra at one point.

I think he lives in Germany or somewhere on the continent now - I've seen reference to recordings made there but have not heard them.

thanks Bev. Yes that's a good service, for sure. I established with Hazel that my email had slipped down a gap somewhere.

i'll certainly check out Boundaries and some of the others you mention. A little research today also highlighted Julie Driscoll's 1969 and yes some more recent German releases with Quatouhr here http://www.nurnichtnur.de/frameset_nav_mailorder.htm under the name Zoepf / Schliemann / Charig / Schneider.

61e3UoQOqOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This is good buy - puts together 'Happy Daze' from 1978 with all but one track from the earlier 'Oh! For The Edge'. I bought 'Happy Daze' on LP with my first working paycheck when it came out!

'Daze' is a more composed, studio date with excellent tunes and solos - a very good Charig on track two (Seven for Lee). 'Edge' is a live date, more ragged (in the ensemble area) and a bit distantly recorded but still marvellous. A less manic Brotherhood of Breath (with overlapping musicians).

There's also a nice disc of BBC stuff available.

Saving Pipedream to relish at the weekend.

For anyone, like myself, who had never heard Pipedream before (although I had heard of it), this may be a useful link - I certainly found it so - Squidco - Pipedream excerpts. To my ears there is a passing similarity between Pipdream and Ian Carr's Sounds and Sweet Airs but only a passing one. Tippett and Charig's music is quite unique (as is Carr's) and Pipedream seems from these short excerpts to be nearer to Tippett's Blueprint (and beyond) material. Certainly sounds excellent and I will no doubt be buying this.

For anyone, like myself, who had never heard Pipedream before (although I had heard of it), this may be a useful link - I certainly found it so - Squidco - Pipedream excerpts. To my ears there is a passing similarity between Pipdream and Ian Carr's Sounds and Sweet Airs but only a passing one. Tippett and Charig's music is quite unique (as is Carr's) and Pipedream seems from these short excerpts to be nearer to Tippett's Blueprint (and beyond) material. Certainly sounds excellent and I will no doubt be buying this.

Thanks for the link. I intend to buy it too (like pretty much every other Ogun reissue.)