Miles Davis News

JETman

I can understand Columbia feeling that catalogue is currently uneconomic to release on CD. But it can't be that hard to get it to download. A few years of people sorting that out and it's done for good. They might find some volunteers to do it for free here!!!!!!!

I suspect that despite its current lack of economic value they are sitting on it just in case it becomes an asset in the future.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 - I always hoped for those Harold Land/Bobby Hutcherson Mainstream's to come out. I've never seen them listed on CD.

The only part of the Mainstream catalogue they seem to have given any thought to was Carmen MacRae and Sarah Vaughan. I don't know why they didn't lease any of them to someone like Collectables. There were a few really nice Charles McPhersons, Blue Mitchell, Roy Haynes...

Columbia bought up the Mainstream catalog so they could own one album: the first Big Brother and the Holding Company album to add to their Janice Joplin catalog. They didn't really give a shit about anything else.

I can understand Columbia feeling that catalogue is currently uneconomic to release on CD. But it can't be that hard to get it to download. A few years of people sorting that out and it's done for good. They might find some volunteers to do it for free here!!!!!!!

I suspect that despite its current lack of economic value they are sitting on it just in case it becomes an asset in the future.

Miles stuff always was and will be an asset to them. It's pretty simple if you think about it. They are actually using smart business sense by making that asset last as long as possible. They do not want to saturate the market with Miles issues at any one time. I suspect that there will be new stuff released long after all of us are dead and gone.

Btw, fewer people than you think are fully equipped to download, and many do not ever want to go that route.

Btw, fewer people than you think are fully equipped to download, and many do not ever want to go that route.

True of many people who grew up on vinyl or CDs; but their numbers will fall year on year. Vinyl and CD will probably survive as another form of boutique collecting (like collecting classic cars or antiques) but I can't see the future being other than downloading or the technology that supersedes it.

Now whether the younger generation for whom downloading is first choice have any interest in the vast legacy remains to be seen. If they are not, Columbia needs to get this stuff out PDQ because it might be their last chance to make any money from it!

Of course, as it falls out of copyright...

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Miles stuff always was and will be an asset to them. It's pretty simple if you think about it. They are actually using smart business sense by making that asset last as long as possible. They do not want to saturate the market with Miles issues at any one time. I suspect that there will be new stuff released long after all of us are dead and gone.

Consider also that Miles' estate is very much involved in rights, so that might be a factor affecting how things are being released.

Hmmm. . . .Live at the Plugged Nickel seems to be stocked again at amazon, for about 130 dollars, ships in "9-10 days."

I noticed that too. Pretty strange - I haven't seen any news about it being "reissued". And why would a domestic Sony release require that much time for order fulfillment?

Bitches Brew box is available for pre-order with Sony (US only I believe).

Slightly more expensive is the Genius box!

I think the "genius" is in the promotion. Take a set of so-called limited edition box collections that have been taken out of circulation for a number of years and re-package/re-release them in a faux instrument case with assorted additional do-dads and then charge an arm and a leg for it.

Brilliant!

Bitches Brew box is available for pre-order with Sony (US only I believe).

Slightly more expensive is the Genius box!

I think the "genius" is in the promotion. Take a set of so-called limited edition box collections that have been taken out of circulation for a number of years and re-package/re-release them in a faux instrument case with assorted additional do-dads and then charge an arm and a leg for it.

Brilliant!

guinness-brilliant.jpg

Hmmm. . . .Live at the Plugged Nickel seems to be stocked again at amazon, for about 130 dollars, ships in "9-10 days."

I noticed that too. Pretty strange - I haven't seen any news about it being "reissued". And why would a domestic Sony release require that much time for order fulfillment?

Good news and bad news for any interested buyers: the price has dropped to $117 but now it's "temporarily out of stock".

Good news and bad news for any interested buyers: the price has dropped to $117 but now it's "temporarily out of stock".

Interesting news. I placed an order today, so I'll find out soon enough if the item comes through. I've wanted the set for some time, but I'm not into paying collector prices. They are selling it as new, so it better be the real set. They might not know it, but if they send a $120 set of CDRs to my crib, they are going to have a bad day (heh heh).

But the Brew boxes will contain the long sought after original mix on cd, plus a few extras! It's not all bad.

I'm very disappointed that the regular Legacy Edition won't include the Tanglewood set. To get that I'd have to buy the Anniversary Edition with the LPs that I don't even need.

I'm confused. ShowsOn? Above?

Here's what it says on this page:

http://www.milesdavis.com/us/news/bitches-brew-40th-anniversary-release-part-miles-davis-birthday-celebration

• Bitches Brew: 40th Anniversary Collector's Edition (the same three discs as above*, plus a third CD comprising a previously unissued performance by the new septet lineup at Tanglewood in the Berkshires, August 1970; alongside a 48-page color booklet and a 180-gram vinyl double-LP gatefold replication of the original album)

* Two CD discs of the album's original mix and alternate material, one DVD of the entire Copenhagen show