JETman

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Packaging lunacy.

A limited-edition box set designed as an actual trumpet case

Just say no!

Agreed, and I plan to just say "no", but the really good news is that there will be two more repackagings of 'Kind of Blue', which has to set (or more likely extend) some kind of industry record for most repackagings. And for all of that, the 'On The Corner' box will remain out of print unless you spring for the 43CD set with the trumpet mouthpiece (I know that sounds like one of those old National Lampoon commercials, but it's true!).

Agreed, and I plan to just say "no", but the really good news is that there will be two more repackagings of 'Kind of Blue', which has to set (or more likely extend) some kind of industry record for most repackagings. And for all of that, the 'On The Corner' box will remain out of print unless you spring for the 43CD set with the trumpet mouthpiece (I know that sounds like one of those old National Lampoon commercials, but it's true!).

Yes, I tried to get an On the Corner last year but could find it nowhere.

It seems that Columbia, the home of the 'Legacy Edition', is run by people with no idea of the legacy they have (though maybe they have more idea than I do of the most advantageous way to deal with the commercial parts of it).

I'd far sooner the got the OTC box back out and some of the rumoured live Lost Quintet stuff. Though we've probably missed the chance on the latter as last year was the convenient anniversary.

Wish they'd just set it up for downloads - bugger the bits of cardboard.

Gee... I heard of it a few days ago, and the inclusion of the live material obviously makes this interesting.

But how silly is that trumpet idea? A replica of the mouthpiece? A replica? What's the cost of a trumpet mouthpiece, why not just included a real one? Or is a replica a real one built *like* the original but built newly? Anyway, silly silly silly... I have all the boxes and like them a lot (except for disc 1 of the BB set being unplayable, friggin Sony Switzerland maroons sent me a CDR and thought I'd have to be very, very, very extremely grateful to them for that...).

Oh, and do they have a metal spine version of the Cellar Door box? Really?

And they're not even able to list the 8 boxes chronologically, either... (neither by date of appearance nor - what would have made more sense - by date of recording)

Why should they pull the plug? They're gonna milk that cow to the last drop...

Complainin' because as a good customer/fan/collector who owns all these releases, you'll have to pay *a lot* to get these deluxe sets in order to get a disc or half a disc of previously unissued material. That IS a nuisance, in my opinion.

Why should they pull the plug? They're gonna milk that cow to the last drop...

Complainin' because as a good customer/fan/collector who owns all these releases, you'll have to pay *a lot* to get these deluxe sets in order to get a disc or half a disc of previously unissued material. That IS a nuisance, in my opinion.

Well, the fact that they are NOT pulling the plug should tell you that there is a group of enthusiasts out there that still buy these, and this group is MUCH larger and far more important than us! So....what's the use in complaining?

Is Flav-O-Flav playing Miles?

You MUST be joking, right?

To answer your question, it's Don Cheadle.

Edited by JETman