Rob McConnell RIP

Ted O'Reilly

Rob McConnell died in a Toronto hospital this afternoon from liver cancer. His health had been declining for the last couple of months. The valve trombonist, composer, arranger, teacher and leader was best known as the leader of The Boss Brass, a 22-piece jazz orchestra, and the Rob McConnell Tentet. He was 75 years old.

Sorry to hear this.

Greatly enjoyed his superbly recorded Big Band Jazz double LP!

Was that the Direct-To-Disk LP? (Sheffield Labs maybe?) Will have to seek it out.

It was on the Umbrella label, a division of Nimbus 9 Productions, Toronto.

Pressed on heavy vinyl and individually numbered!

A tough year for losses in the jazz world. Rob and his various bands (Boss Brass and the Tentet, plus his trio with bass and guitar, which sometimes became a duo, sometimes a quartet), made some excellent recordings over the years which I really enjoy. I think I have his full discography on my shelves. Rob was also a great valve trombonist who wrote very creative yet swinging and accesible arrangements (at least for the listener). Musicians often found them very difficult to play, apparently. Rob had a great sense humor, personally and musically. Bascially, I loved his work. Thanks for the music, Rob. R.I.P.

Aha - I think I know it. Thanks.

Recorded April 7/8/9, 1977. I wrote the liner notes, and have record number 0001.

Very nice job you did!

My copy shows number 404332! Wasn't this supposed to be a limited edition :o

Aha - I think I know it. Thanks.

Recorded April 7/8/9, 1977. I wrote the liner notes, and have record number 0001.

Very nice job you did!

My copy shows number 404332! Wasn't this supposed to be a limited edition :o

Wow, really? I think at the time the company said they'd not be able to pull more than 10,000 copies off the stampers. Maybe they went to the 30 ips non-dolby tapes (that were running all the time) and put out 'bogus' D-to-D pressings.

A second two-disc set (RM & BB Again!) was done that way a year later, and admitted it, when they were having troubles cutting the discs live.

Wow, really? I think at the time the company said they'd not be able to pull more than 10,000 copies off the stampers. Maybe they went to the 30 ips non-dolby tapes (that were running all the time) and put out 'bogus' D-to-D pressings.

A second two-disc set (RM & BB Again!) was done that way a year later, and admitted it, when they were having troubles cutting the discs live.

The number on my copy was machine-stamped. Very much doubt there were that many copies pressed!

The machine probably performed under a logic of its own :crazy:

Such a terrible loss. A wonderful, life loving man. He was so happy playing. It showed.

It's like the end of an era. Who is picking up the mantle ?

If you will allow me this link. I don't know the details of that recording but it

highlights the best of the Boss Brass. The love of its leader.

The Boss Brass

RIP

Denis

By far my favorite McConnell arrangement was a gorgeous chart he did for Maynard's 60's band on "Come Rain Or Come Shine". It was on Color Him Wild (later reissued as Dues, iirc). Last song on Side Two of one of the Ferguson band's very best albums, a perfect ending, and certainly a strong inducement to turn the record over and take the trip again.

Such a terrible loss. A wonderful, life loving man. He was so happy playing. It showed.

RIP

Denis

Well, a long-time member of the Boss Brass trumpet section, John MacLeod, has for several years now been writing for and leading his "Rex Hotel Orchestra", so named for its last-Monday-of-the-month gig at a jazz joint in Toronto.

It's much influenced by Rob, as you'd expect, even including two french horns, and staffed by a lot of BB veterans. A year or so back McConnell was in to hear it, and took over the mic to say something like "This band is better than mine, but I don't know why -- the writing's not as good". It got a huge laugh, as intended, but also showed Rob's competitive spirit was alive and well.

McLeod's band has recorded a CD, and he's soon to self-release it. I'll let everyone know when it's available.

RIP

Denis

Well, a long-time member of the Boss Brass trumpet section, John MacLeod, has for several years now been writing for and leading his "Rex Hotel Orchestra", so named for its last-Monday-of-the-month gig at a jazz joint in Toronto.

It's much influenced by Rob, as you'd expect, even including two french horns, and staffed by a lot of BB veterans. A year or so back McConnell was in to hear it, and took over the mic to say something like "This band is better than mine, but I don't know why -- the writing's not as good". It got a huge laugh, as intended, but also showed Rob's competitive spirit was alive and well.

McLeod's band has recorded a CD, and he's soon to self-release it. I'll let everyone know when it's available.

Thanks Ted.

I will be watching for it.

I wouldn't even mind a little drive down the 401 to hear them :)

Denis

RIP

Denis

Thanks Ted.

I will be watching for it.

I wouldn't even mind a little drive down the 401 to hear them :)

Denis

Monday, May 31 at 9:30pm. Two hot sets! :party: Doug Ramsey's Rifftides had a nice piece today: http://www.artsjournal.com/rifftides/2010/05/on_rob_mcconnell.html

This is a real loss to those of us who scribble on paper ( or punch up Finale ) as

our primary means of musical expression. I know rob slightly -well enough to know we shared a similar overall temperament regarding bands ( and unruly audiences )

The Boss Brass set the benchmark in the 70s of what an extended big band could sound like

and had a big influence on a lot of what I wrote over the years.

RIP Rob ..I'll hoist a single malt tonight in your honor! :blink: :blink:

This is a real loss to those of us who scribble on paper ( or punch up Finale ) as

our primary means of musical expression. I know rob slightly -well enough to know we shared a similar overall temperament regarding bands ( and unruly audiences )

The Boss Brass set the benchmark in the 70s of what an extended big band could sound like

and had a big influence on a lot of what I wrote over the years.

RIP Rob ..I'll hoist a single malt tonight in your honor! :blink: :blink:

Give Victoria's Ian McDougall a call, and he'll come over and share it with you. Ian was one of Rob's closest friends, personally and musically...