download rarities

bertrand

(If there is already an old thread on this topic, I apologize).

Although they will never replace CDs, occasionally iTunes and Amazon (and others?) have some items available for download that will probably never come out on CD or did in the past but are now OOP. With the state of the industry these days, more obscure things are less and less likely to make it to physical CDs. So I thought we could reconcile all these into one thread (similar to the Newbury bargain thread).

First up:

V.S.O.P. (Five Stars)

iTunes/Amazon $3.99

A short studio album recorded by the quintet while they were touring in Japan. I saw this once as part of a 2-CD Japanese import but at a prohibitive price. I'm not sure how this could fit as bonus cuts on a live session, so this will probably never come out on its own. Includes an early version of 'Atlantis' called 'Circe' and an early version of Tony's great tune 'Mutants On The Beach' (from Civilization).

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

Still, that's one I'd be more likely to sample from a blog first... I have a big, huge, in fact, Billy Tayor phobia, I'll admit it. At least as far as his playing. The guy's a great story-teller, though. The 4-part Cadence interview he did was priceless.

Still, that's one I'd be more likely to sample from a blog first... I have a big, huge, in fact, Billy Tayor phobia, I'll admit it.

You've heard one track from that record already, in BFT 39. Interesting to read your comments to "In a Mellow Tone":

TRACK TEN - Sounds like the love child of a menage-a-trois between Sonny Stitt, Sonny Rollins, & Paul Quinichette, and I mean that flatteringly. Some really nice phrasing by the tenorist. Pianist has his/her own bag, but the tenor's the show here for me. Go ahead on with that!

Email incoming!

$3.98 sounds like a good download price then, although as Clem used to say (& Moms Mobley might yet say), where the eff are the lossless format downloads?

hidden at the bottom of a trumpet case, I guess :rolleyes:

Grow up! We must be happy with the crumbs that fall from the

Sony table, because that's the adult way to deal with life! :crazy:

Also, this download isn't available in Europe simply because Sony aren't

in this business to lose money! They know what's right for us (and them)!

(If there is already an old thread on this topic, I apologize).

Although they will never replace CDs, occasionally iTunes and Amazon (and others?) have some items available for download that will probably never come out on CD or did in the past but are now OOP. With the state of the industry these days, more obscure things are less and less likely to make it to physical CDs. So I thought we could reconcile all these into one thread (similar to the Newbury bargain thread).

First up:

V.S.O.P. (Five Stars)

iTunes/Amazon $3.99

A short studio album recorded by the quintet while they were touring in Japan. I saw this once as part of a 2-CD Japanese import but at a prohibitive price. I'm not sure how this could fit as bonus cuts on a live session, so this will probably never come out on its own. Includes an early version of 'Atlantis' called 'Circe' and an early version of Tony's great tune 'Mutants On The Beach' (from Civilization).

Bertrand.

Yeah, this is good stuff, lots of energy, almost (mostly) like an acoustic "fusion" session, although Ron Carter would have been better off being Stanley Clarke (on wood, of course). But even at that, this is some damn good stuff, and at $3.98, hey.