My Mosaics are up.

Ebay charges a listing fee that can be anywhere from 50 cents to several dollars depending on how fancy you get (ie, number of photos, etc.). They also now charge the seller 9% of the final selling price which is steep IMO. It used to be that as a seller you could put down whatever you wanted for shipping but now you must designate what shipping method you use. I liked it better before when i could just charge a flat rate and know that I would be covering all of my expenses.

As you have seen if you have visited any of my auctions, I paid $5.00 per item for packing materials (from Sandy's recommendation Bags Unltd.), and am therefore charging a $5.00 handling fee to cover it.

It appears that eBay is ignoring the handling fee when sending the invoice to the buyers.

The Bud Shank just closed. I clicked to see its status, and it showed that with only four seconds (!) left the bid was $135.50. Yet when I clicked to see the final tally, the winning bid was $159.28.

I think that the buyer got a real bargain with this, inasmuch as it is a 5-CD set, three of which are sealed. However, my Bid It Now price was $200 with free shipping, which was not much more than $159.28 plus shipping. So I can't complain.

The winning bid comes to $31.85 per cd.

Here's another question:

I am under the impression that each leading bid, including the winning bid, is not the full amount of what the bidder is willing to pay, but only one dollar more than the #2 bidder's maximum bid. Is that correct?

Correct, though it's not necessarily one dollar more; the difference increases when the bidding goes higher.

Today was a bad day. Well, so much for the idea that Monday is the best day of the week!

The Curtis Fuller sold for $21 per cd. The Kenton Presents and the Herbie Nichols didn't sell. I put the reserve bid at $25 per cd for both of those. My thinking was that if someone doesn't want to pay $25 for Mosaic, then he just isn't interested.

I think I will contact the high bidders and give them a second chance. I may relist them as "Buy Now or Best Offer" and see what happens.

Any ideas?

Today was a bad day. Well, so much for the idea that Monday is the best day of the week!

The Curtis Fuller sold for $21 per cd. The Kenton Presents and the Herbie Nichols didn't sell. I put the reserve bid at $25 per cd for both of those. My thinking was that if someone doesn't want to pay $25 for Mosaic, then he just isn't interested.

I think I will contact the high bidders and give them a second chance. I may relist them as "Buy Now or Best Offer" and see what happens.

Any ideas?

I'm pretty sure offering a second chance only works for the highest bid if an item doesn't sell, or second-to-highest bid if it did sell (and you had identical copies).

So that would be $66 and $64, respectively, not including shipping and handling.

Thanks, Clifford. I've still got two more to go which end tomorrow, and both are stuck on the minimum bid, so I don't expect either to reach the reserve price.

I have an eleventh which I didn't put up because I only have ten boxes, so I guess that will go up next week.