Ronnie Cuber

Durium

Baritone Saxophone players  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

RONNIE CUBER

RONNIE

album+cover.jpg

I remember how I was fascinated hearing someone play the baritone saxophone. I listened to Gerry Mulligan 1954 Salle Pleyel concert more then a hundred times, before I learned about other great instrumentalists like Adrian Rollini, Serge Challof, Leo Parker and Pepper Adams. Most of them are gone now. Ronnie Cuber knows how to play this instrument in both the lower as the upper registers and is labeled as the jazz's greatest living baritone saxophonists.

Ronnie Cuber - a Tribute to the Past: Ronnie

Durium

Edited by Durium

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some good candidates, although I always think the question should read "of the choices given", and I'd likely pick one of the given choices, although we mustn't forget:

Harry Carney

Lars Gullin

Cecil Payne

Joe Temperley

Hamiett Bluiett

Gary Smulyan

Scott Robinson

Nick Brignola

....and of course, our very own Duke City (Glenn Kostur). He laid down a few choruses at a concert we did two weeks ago that were truly burning.

Thanks for the shout out, Paul! When I first got into playing baritone, the list of guys who became my primary influences definitely included Ronnie Cuber (I wore out a copy of "Cuber Libre" on Xanadu).

Also on the list:

Pepper Adams

Nick Brignola

Bruce Johnstone (Woody's band, Maynard's band, and a funk group called New York Mary)

and some Gerry Mulligan

My personal favorite is Pepper Adams.

I wish more musicians played the baritone sax. We have a very very large number of good tenor players,

but only a tiny number of strong baritone saxophonists.

It seems far more people play the soprano sax than the baritone sax, but I much prefer to hear the baritone.

My personal favorite is Pepper Adams.

I wish more musicians played the baritone sax. We have a very very large number of good tenor players,

but only a tiny number of strong baritone saxophonists.

It seems far more people play the soprano sax than the baritone sax, but I much prefer to hear the baritone.

I hear you. And the reason is...

...the schlep.

The first time I heard Ronnie Cuber was when he was with Eddie Palmieri.

There are lots of really good baritone players still around. Some living ones: Jim Hartog, Dave Sewelson, Clare Daly, Carlo Actis Dato, Howard Johnson, Alex Harding, Glenn Wilson, Roger Rosenberg.....

The first time I heard Ronnie Cuber was when he was with Eddie Palmieri.

There are lots of really good baritone players still around. Some living ones: Jim Hartog, Dave Sewelson, Clare Daly, Carlo Actis Dato, Howard Johnson, Alex Harding, Glenn Wilson, Roger Rosenberg.....

Gary Smulyan?

Gotta go for Ronnie. I've got a huge bunch of his stuff from his early days with Slide Hampton to nowadays. He never fails to be exciting.

Leo Parker would be #2 for me. It's not just his 2 BN albums. I've got his King LP with Bill Jennings, which I like very much and a bunch of Savoy sides with Dex and Jug which are all very good. But, sadly, it's still not very much.