Ronnie Cuber

Durium

Baritone Saxophone players  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a fanstastic young baritone player named Frank Basile. I'm using him on my next record. This guy is my favorite living baritone player. A true bebopper!!

Frank & I worked for a little bit in a wedding band down here before he moved East. He was a gas even in that context. Glad to hear he's on the path!

Gullin, yes, brilliant composer and player. When I was in Sweden about 15 years ago Keith Knox (who used to run Silheart) showed me a stack of old Gullin arrangements that he had. Would make a nice project. To me he represents one of the best examples of how a non-American jazzer can make good use of native materials, while still swinging and making it jazz.

....and Lars Gullin.

Indeed! Should be easy to get Collectables 6278, which has the two LPs "Baritone Sax" and "Lars Gullin Swings". He was a good pianist too, playing it exclusively on his 1973 album of originals "Like Grass" (EMI/Odeon 7234 4 75206 2 4) with Lee Konitz, Bernt Rosengren, Red Mitchell and Island Ostlund.

Anyone mention Sahib Shihab's bari work yet?

And, Toronto's Jim Galloway is known as a mainstreamy soprano player, but his bari work is very interesting and much more modern. It's as if his musical mind switches with the big horn.

• 11 months later...

(I wore out a copy of "Cuber Libre" on Xanadu).

Superb record, w/Barry Harris---and now I forget who else. Sam Jones and Tootie Heath? I'm getting old and have CRS :o

Also great by Cuber on the same label (Xanadu): THe 11th Day of Aquarius, w/Tom Harrell; Mickey Tucker; the late Dennis Irwin; the late Eddie Gladden. 1978, I believe....

The '70s were amazing times for jazz, don't let anyone snow you.

(I wore out a copy of "Cuber Libre" on Xanadu).

Superb record, w/Barry Harris---and now I forget who else. Sam Jones and Tootie Heath? I'm getting old and have CRS :o

Also great by Cuber on the same label (Xanadu): THe 11th Day of Aquarius, w/Tom Harrell; Mickey Tucker; the late Dennis Irwin; the late Eddie Gladden. 1978, I believe....

The '70s were amazing times for jazz, don't let anyone snow you.

I don't have too much Ronnie but Cuber Libre is a great, great album that I've enjoyed listening too many times.

I don't have too much Ronnie but Cuber Libre is a great, great album that I've enjoyed listening too many times.

Cuber Libre aside, 11th house was sort of recorded like shit, poor Mickey Tucker having to play a pile of rocks to begin with, and Dennis Irwin might have been underwater---but the music was first-rate. Tom and Ronnie were in great shape and on Tom's tune open Air---a beaut in 3/4 that he later reprised with Phil Woods--they both play wonderfully, with the rhythm section stirring the pots. Cuber quotes the melody in the altissimo zone after a perfect Harrell solo, his solo is a highlight in a recording with a lot of them. Tom himself played way different then, a stone bebopper (post-bopper? Ah, screw these dumb terms). Plus the material is interesting: of it's day but not dated. Nice Mickey Tucker tune, can't remember the title just now. Also originals by Ron McClure and a nice one, Klepto, by Cuber himself.

To overstate the obvious, I really recommend this.

Edited by fasstrack

The young Gullin:

Yes, beautiful, thoughtful, reflective playing with good sound and spacing. Good guitar, too. Any ideas who it was, anybody?

Thanks for posting that, Larry. I hardly heard of the guy, let alone knew he was this good.

The young Gullin:

Yes, beautiful, thoughtful, reflective playing with good sound and spacing. Good guitar, too. Any ideas who it was, anybody?

Thanks for posting that, Larry. I hardly heard of the guy, let alone knew he was this good.

Now that I think about it didn't Lars Gullin record w/Warne Marsh on an album he did with Danish guys? Funny, his phrasing in one spot was Warne-like and it triggered my memory somehow.

• 6 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My favorite baritone sax player is Harry Carney.  He's such an integral part of Ellington's sound.  Even when he wasn't soloing, you can feel him laying down that foundation.

Among more recent players, I really enjoy Pepper Adams.

BTW, I completely agree with fasstrack's assessment (earlier in the thread, from a few years ago) of Ronnie Cuber's Eleventh Day of Aquarius.  LOVE that record. (Among the reasons why: Mickey Tucker!)  I actually prefer that LP to Cuber's more well-known Cuber Libre