Original Album Classics

Misterioso is the one Monk Columbia LP still awaiting a proper CD reissue. It was compiled from several hitherto unreleased live recordings. The only CD reissue I know of was on French Columbia - are these boxes made by them?

Some of the tracks were added to the respective CD reissues over the years, only three (*) remain un-reissued in proper form - here's an attempt to give an overview:

1. * Well You Needn't - Brandeis University, Feb 7, 1965

2. Misterioso - Lincoln Center NYC Dec 30, 1963 (added to the Big Band and Quartet in Concert double CD reissue)

3. Light Blue - Newport Jazz Festival July 4, 1963 (incl. in the recent Monk live at Newport CD)

4. I'm Gettin' Sentimental Over You - Jazz Workshop SF Nov 4, 1964 (incl. in the Live at the Jazz Workshop double CD)

5. All The Things You Are - Jazz Workshop SF Nov 4, 1964 (incl. in the Live at the Jazz Workshop double CD)

6. * Honeysuckle Rose - Village Gate NYC March 2, 1965

7. * Bemsha Swing - Village Gate NYC March 2, 1965

8. Evidence - Tokyo May 21, 1963

Columbia should have released a CD including the yet un(-re)issued complete live sessions - after all the expanded reissues, the album Misterioso as is no longer makes sense.

Edited by mikeweil

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yes - I was too lazy to look at this one ... I still wish they would do a proper issue of the live material not yet reissued in complete form. But as it seems, Columbia or SONY or whoever could be considered in charge is not interested in this kind of thing.

"Honeysuckle Rose" is on CD1 (#10) of the 3CD set "The Columbia Years / '62-'68"

Yes and no - the box has take 1, the Misterioso LP has take 2 with overdubbed applause. It is in fact a studio recording made March 2, 1965, the only trio track from this session. Of the three solos Monk recorded only one was issued at the time.

The CD reissues of Straight No Chaser or Underground would have been the only possible choices for adding these two trios as bonus tracks, but there was not enough space left on these.

The attribution to a Village Gate performance on the Misterioso LP is wrong - there is no such recording in the Columbia vaults. The other track attributed to this, Bemsha Swing, really is from the November 3, 1964 Jazz Workshop performance and available elsewhere.

This leaves Well You Needn't from the February 27, 1965 Brandeis University concert as the onyl real rarity - Cuscuna listed this concert as rejected in the disco for the first Mosaic Blue Note Box, this and the May 1967 Mexican concerts are the only blank spots left in the Monk on Columbia disco.

I bought every Soft Machine LP as it was released. I'm definitely up for getting these five on CD. Thanks for the heads up!

Those Columbia records really are incredible, and a recent discovery for me.

When I was in and just out of high school 25+ years ago my best friend was really into prog, but he favored the first two, poppier SM records that I never liked.

That did it for me until a year or so ago when Third kept coming up as a "people who bought" suggestion when I was buying Larry Young records and stuff like that on Amazon. Finally bought it on a lark and fell in love with it and then bought the rest. I don't care what anyone says; the post-Wyatt stuff kills too, especially Seven. Karl Jenkins is a fine musician/writer/improviser.

Edited by DobermanBoston

• 3 weeks later...

They could do an Ornette box but maybe it would be a little left field - Science Fiction/Broken Shadows/Skies of America/Chappaqua Suite.

That'd be a good box set (though I already have it all in some form or another). Was there a particular reason that Chappaqua Suite wasn't issued in the U.S.?

They could do an Ornette box but maybe it would be a little left field - Science Fiction/Broken Shadows/Skies of America/Chappaqua Suite.

That'd be a good box set (though I already have it all in some form or another). Was there a particular reason that Chappaqua Suite wasn't issued in the U.S.?

I think it is French-owned, basically.

Don't know if that's the reason...

At the time, both Philip Glass and Ravi Shankar (whose music was used in the film) were, in some artsy circles, considered "more hip", and perhaps "cooler", and their music more appropriate for a druggy cult film that had aspirations. (If you weren't around then, you have no idea how the sound of the sitar seemed to bring out the pipes, and Glass' music was hypnotic and "trippy", man...)_

Did Ornette take back his score, and make his own deal to have CBS France release it? I thought I had a copy of it, but can't find it right now, but if someone has it, is there anything in the credits/notes? I don't remember. (It WAS a druggy era. Not me, but ya know...)

Yes, the Body Meta booklet describes Chappaqua Suite as "unauthorized; unused soundtrack."

Thanks for checking. My guess is that even if OC thinks it is unauthorised he probably signed away the rights to the owner/maker of the film.

And let's not forget the music for Who's Crazy which has the advantage that there is no ridiculous orchestra piping up in the background every two minutes. ;)

At the time, both Philip Glass and Ravi Shankar (whose music was used in the film) were, in some artsy circles, considered "more hip", and perhaps "cooler", and their music more appropriate for a druggy cult film that had aspirations. (If you weren't around then, you have no idea how the sound of the sitar seemed to bring out the pipes, and Glass' music was hypnotic and "trippy", man...)_

Did Ornette take back his score, and make his own deal to have CBS France release it? I thought I had a copy of it, but can't find it right now, but if someone has it, is there anything in the credits/notes? I don't remember. (It WAS a druggy era. Not me, but ya know...)

The official line from the film's director, Conrad Rooks, was that Ornette's soundtrack was too strong and too beautiful for the film. I have no idea what the real reason for dropping Ornette's music was. Rooks' statement always sounded like b.s. to me.

It would be interesting to know why Columbia issued Chappaqua Suite in France and Japan, but not in the U.S.

The official line from the film's director, Conrad Rooks, was that Ornette's soundtrack was too strong and too beautiful for the film. I have no idea what the real reason for dropping Ornette's music was. Rooks' statement always sounded like b.s. to me.

It would be interesting to know why Columbia issued Chappaqua Suite in France and Japan, but not in the U.S.

Thanks, Paul...that Rooks reference does resonate. "Too strong for the film" is accurate, as I recall. I don't know if I'd even bother watching it these days. 'Way past its shelf date.

Thanks, Paul...that Rooks reference does resonate. "Too strong for the film" is accurate, as I recall. I don't know if I'd even bother watching it these days. 'Way past its shelf date.

It was released on DVD in 2007! Here it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5ymb_0fCRo&playnext=1&list=PL8347A0B276689B5E

I think Ornette is in there somewhere....

I saw the film when it was released and there wasn't much there then.

• 3 months later...