Original Album Classics

Misterioso is the one Monk Columbia LP still awaiting a proper CD reissue. It was compiled from several hitherto unreleased live recordings. The only CD reissue I know of was on French Columbia - are these boxes made by them?

Some of the tracks were added to the respective CD reissues over the years, only three (*) remain un-reissued in proper form - here's an attempt to give an overview:

1. * Well You Needn't - Brandeis University, Feb 7, 1965

2. Misterioso - Lincoln Center NYC Dec 30, 1963 (added to the Big Band and Quartet in Concert double CD reissue)

3. Light Blue - Newport Jazz Festival July 4, 1963 (incl. in the recent Monk live at Newport CD)

4. I'm Gettin' Sentimental Over You - Jazz Workshop SF Nov 4, 1964 (incl. in the Live at the Jazz Workshop double CD)

5. All The Things You Are - Jazz Workshop SF Nov 4, 1964 (incl. in the Live at the Jazz Workshop double CD)

6. * Honeysuckle Rose - Village Gate NYC March 2, 1965

7. * Bemsha Swing - Village Gate NYC March 2, 1965

8. Evidence - Tokyo May 21, 1963

Columbia should have released a CD including the yet un(-re)issued complete live sessions - after all the expanded reissues, the album Misterioso as is no longer makes sense.

Just to make sure ... 8. Evidence is the same as the one on the "Monk in Tokyo" 2CD set, yes? Was that not part of the LP or why would it be on "Misterioso"? Don't know the story of "Monk in Tokyo" (or if there is one), but love the music of that quartet, still with Frankie Dunlop on drums!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

I have the five-disc boxes of the Soft Machine, Henry Mancini, and both Monk boxes. I had most of this stuff on LP, but it was a cheap and convenient way to get it on CD. Bonus tracks on some of these; they tend to use the most recent-ish remastered versions where bonus tracks were added. The Mancini adds the entire "Arabesque" album to the "Breakfast at Tiffany's" disc, effectively making it a six-album set.

I have the five-disc boxes of the Soft Machine, Henry Mancini, and both Monk boxes. I had most of this stuff on LP, but it was a cheap and convenient way to get it on CD. Bonus tracks on some of these; they tend to use the most recent-ish remastered versions where bonus tracks were added. The Mancini adds the entire "Arabesque" album to the "Breakfast at Tiffany's" disc, effectively making it a six-album set.

I highly recommend this bargain.

I highly recommend this bargain.

That is a great box. Most of my Mancini budget these days is going to the limited edition CDs that contain the film versions (as opposed to the LP re-records). These include Charade, The Days of Wine and Roses, Hatari, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Wait Until Dark, The Thief Who Came to Dinner, and others. Mancini typically included the upbeat, lighter music on the albums, and rarely included the dramatic, scary, or poignant music. He later expressed regret about this approach in his autobiography. The expansions are a revelation.

Has this Mancini 2014 box set mentioned before?

THE PINK PANTHER (1964) / THE RETURN OF THE PINK PANTHER (1975)
BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S (1961) / CHARADE (1963)
HATARI! (1962) / OKLAHOMA CRUDE (1973)
WHAT DID YOU DO IN THE WAR, DADDY? (1966) / HIGH TIME (1960)
EXPERIMENT IN TERROR (1962) / DARLING LILI (1970)
GUNN (1967) / WHO IS KILLING THE GREAT CHEFS OF EUROPE? (1978)
TWO FOR THE ROAD (1967) / ARABESQUE (1966)
THE GREAT RACE (1965) / ME, NATALIE (1969)
THE PARTY (1968) / VISIONS OF EIGHT (1973)

81CQM52COWL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Alexandros