American Idol season 9

Getting interesting with a Sinatra theme coached by Harry Connick Jr. I thought Big Mike won it hands down. Casey is a fine bar rocker, but was clearly the weakest last night. It was interesting to see him stretch for areas that he wouldn't ordinarily go, but it definitely showed his weaknesses as a pure singer. The judges seemed to think Lee won it at the end, and Crysttal's understated performance was underappreciated by the judhes and perhaps a bit overwhelmed by the arrangement. Aaron did just fine, just behind Lee for second place.

Aaron got bounced, and somewhere Justin Beiber smiled since his ludicrous career will continue without challenge.

This is the kind of week that is never a good one for whoever is left as none of them ever have a clue how to sing these kinds of songs, and its even worse with such a weak group of contestants. Thank god that awful Siobahn chick got bounced a week earlier, letting loose her piercing scream on a Sinatra tune would have been all all-time worst Idol Moment, and without the humor quotient of a William Hung, either.

Ms Bowersox is the only one close to being a marketable, professional singer but I can't imagine why anyone would listen to a record by her over a Janis Joplin record.

Can anyone say ...

41RH46XKD6L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I thought it was a pretty bad week overall. It's also ridiculous when the judges keep telling everyone to be more relevant and sing "modern" that the producers force them to sing 50-year old songs. :rolleyes:

Face it, crooning Sinatra-style is not what these kids do (nor should it be). It's no better than when Sinatra tried to sing more rock/pop songs in the late 60s and 70s - often with horrible results. Overall, I did think that Lee and Crystal were the best of the night though. I've been really impressed with Lee's development over the weeks; it's been fun to see him come into his own. Connick was a terrific mentor. There's some talk about him being a good replacement for Simon next year.

This week was a totally bad idea all the way around. I blame the producers -not the talent.

First of all, asking these kids to cover a music style that was in existence 20 years before they were born was stupid. The might as well have attempted to sing German Art songs from the early 1900s!

Second, the idea of having mentor Harry Connick ON STAGE accompanying them was an automatic upstage to got them nervous before they even began.

Next, having a live Vegas type orchestra onstage was a situation that none of them could deal with acoustically.

( This was evident from the myriad of pitch problems ALL of them had ) These kids are trained from the jump to hear a clean clear cue mix from the offstage house band through ear bud phones. ( save the occasional on stage small groups -which ALSO was fed thru a cue mix )

Finally , Connicks charts were okay but awfully busy for young singers infamiliar with the genre. ( The last chart

"Thats Life" almost crashed and burned after that overly notey sax figure leading into the coda! )

SGUD missile sez braaaaaap! ...BAAAAAAD idea!

:beee: :beee: :beee: