Hank Jones RIP May 16, 2010

Hardbopjazz

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He is at Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC. If not mistaken this is a hospital for cancer treatment, and other ailments. Even at nearly 92 today, he had so much energy when I saw him in November of 2008. So hopefully he can abate whatever is ailing him now. When I saw him at Dizzy's in NYC he was siting at the piano talking to the audience. When he began to play the MIC rolled off the piano towards the floor. Before it hit the fllor he swooped it up with his hand like a dog grabbing a Frisbee.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Guest Bill Barton

Best wishes for him to get well soon.

That's a great story, Hardbopjazz. He was pushing ninety the last time I heard him in performance. Had a chance to meet him briefly and shake his hand. Man, what a strong grip!

Jazz Times obit, posted by Kevin over on the Hoffman site.

Not much of an obit (yet) but it does have a link to a feature article from 2009:

Hank Jones: I haven't Done My Best Yet

“I don’t think I’ve done my best yet,” said Jones. “That’s a goal that I’m working toward, and I haven’t gotten there yet. It’s like the story, and it’s true, about the guy who was interviewing George Shearing, and asked George if he’d been blind all his life. And George answered, ‘Not yet.’ So, no, I haven’t done my best yet.

“You know,” he added, his dark eyes strong and focused, beaming 90 years of accumulated wisdom, “what I enjoy the most is when I don’t make too many mistakes. Because every time you sit down at the piano you’re challenging yourself. But it’s not a competition. What you’re doing is you’re trying to make each performance be better than the last one. That’s what you work for. That’s what you hope for, to make each performance better than the last one.

“Not perfection,” Jones concluded, with a wry smile. “Because I don’t believe there is such a thing as perfect. Perfection is something you strive for that you never actually reach. It’s a place where you and the instrument become one—your mind, your fingers, your body. I’m still trying to reach that level.”

You gotta love a man who is 90 years young and thinks in those terms.

Just last week I just listened to Hank's "Upon Reflection- the Music of Thad Jones" with Geroge Mraz and Elvin Jones - really good stuff. I love Hank's playing, but I don't have that many recordings with Hank as a leader, perhaps 10. Two of my favorites are 'Bop Redux and Groovin' High which I have on Muse LP's.

Really enjoy his recent CD's with Joe Lovano, as well.

You knew that Hank had been around a while when he referred on his Maybeck solo disc to "Joe Bushkin, one of the newer writers around these days."

R.I.P. Hank Jones and thanks for all the great music.