"Returning the Call" more unsung Chicago hardbop

MJT.jpg

Last week's Night Lights show, with music from Eddie Higgins, the MJT + 3's first LP with Muhal Richard Abrams, Paul Serrano, John Young, Clifford Jordan with John Gilmore, and Ira Sullivan, is now up for online listening:

Returning the Call: More From the Unsung Heroes of Chicago Hardbop

It's a sequel to an earlier show, Chicago Calling.

Edited by ghost of miles

BTW, anybody interested in this era of Chicago jazz should definitely check out drummer Mike Reed's People, Places and Things project (mentioned several times before here on the board). I wasn't even aware of his ongoing CD series when I started these Chicago shows, but I've gotten very pleasantly hipped to them through other board members...the latest CD, STORIES AND NEGOTIATIONS, features excellent liner notes written by some gent named Larry Kart:

Stories and Negotiations

...said CD (the third in Reed's Chicago series) includes several Chicago jazz-scene vets--Julian Priester, Ira Sullivan, and Art Hoyle. Definitely a candidate for the 2010 top 10 list.

BTW, anybody interested in this era of Chicago jazz should definitely check out drummer Mike Reed's People, Places and Things project (mentioned several times before here on the board). I wasn't even aware of his ongoing CD series when I started these Chicago shows, but I've gotten very pleasantly hipped to them through other board members...the latest CD, STORIES AND NEGOTIATIONS, features excellent liner notes written by some gent named Larry Kart:

Stories and Negotiations

...said CD (the third in Reed's Chicago series) includes several Chicago jazz-scene vets--Julian Priester, Ira Sullivan, and Art Hoyle. Definitely a candidate for the 2010 top 10 list.

That's the augmented version of the band I just went to Europe with in the last week of this April, with Ari Brown taking the place of Ira Sullivan. I was there, at Mike's kind invitation, to MC pre-concert panel discussions with Art Hoyle, Julian Priester, and Ari Brown, the band's elder statesmen (though, I'm a year older than Ari). Everyone played great, and we all had a good time. Art, Julian, Ari, Jeb Bishop, and I came back after the first week of concerts (Cologne, Amsterdam, and Hasselt in Belgium), while the other four guys in the regular band (Mike, Jason Roebke, Greg Ward, and Tim Haldeman) continued the tour for another two weeks or so, in Italy and elsewhere. Only problem for me was that the pieces they played got so ingrained in my consciousness that I'd wake up each day with one or more of them running through my head like the bell of alarm clock.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...