Staff Picks from AccuJazz Internet Radio

AccuJazz

Hello, Organissimo folks. It's Lucas Gillan, AccuJazz.com program director, letting you know about my new "Staff Picks" channel on AccuJazz.com, which is playing exclusively my favorite new jazz releases. Read about it, give it a listen, and let me know what you think. It's a pretty diverse line-up of stuff, from Chicago Underground Duo to Dave Holland and 13 other CDs besides.

staffpicks.jpg

AccuJazz.com, a leader in streaming Internet jazz radio, is making things personal with the addition of its new "Staff Picks" channel. Consisting of music from program director Lucas Gillan's favorite 15 new jazz releases, the channel makes for a diverse and engaging listen. As with all AccuJazz channels, it is free to use and available 24/7 at AccuJazz.com.

In his job as program director, Gillan receives dozens of CDs every week for airplay consideration. While only some of those make it on to the AccuJazz.com playlists, even less make significant lasting impressions on the program director. The Staff Picks channel represents the new CDs that made the transition from the workplace to his car stereo for repeated listens.

The inaugural Staff Picks playlist includes new releases by big name artists like Brad Mehldau, Paul Motian, and the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra as well as lesser-known fringe jazz by the New York-based collective Little Women and the Chicago Underground Duo. Stylistically, the music represents many corners of the modern day jazz landscape, from the mainstream modern jazz of Dave Holland's Pathways and Orrin Evans' Faith In Action to the rock-influenced post-jazz of London-based group Polar Bear, whose new album Peepers appears on the channel.

Gillan has accompanied the new channel with an in-depth blog post (found here) with reviews of all 15 albums playing on the channel. Every time a new batch of music is added to AccuJazz's database, Gillan plans on select adding to the Staff Picks channel, creating an ever-changing but tightly-controlled playlist unlike any other.

Listeners can find the Staff Picks channel at AccuJazz.com.

The 15 CDs currently included in the channel are listed below:

Brad Mehldau - Highway Rider (Nonesuch)

Paul Motian / Chris Potter / Jason Moran - Lost in a Dream (ECM)

Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra - Portrait in Seven Shades (Jazz at Lincoln Center)

Stephan Crump with Rosetta Trio - Reclamation (Sunnyside)

Dave Holland Octet - Pathways (Dare2)

Chicago Underground Duo - Boca Negra (Thrill Jockey)

Orrin Evans - Faith in Action (Positone)

Polar Bear - Peepers (Leaf)

Lionel Loueke - Mwaliko (Blue Note)

Little Women - Throat (AUM Fidelity)

Michael Musillami - Old Tea (Playscape)

Trombone Shorty - Backatown (Verve)

Dan Weiss - Timshel (Sunnyside)

Thomson Kneeland - Mazurka for a Modern Man (Weltschmerz Records)

Dave King - Indelicate (Sunnyside)

It's a good thing for me, unless the record label is called Jazz At Lincoln Center.

Nice cross-section of music, though.

Ah, I see. Well, I'd say listen to the channel and watch out for the JALC disc -- you might be surprised by the the music. I mentioned in the post about how JALC is not my favorite institution, but deserves credit for the quality of the music on this latest disc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I note how few of the selected albums are on labels I've heard of.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing in your mind?

Hi Lucas,

I was thinking that it reflected the current state of jazz - that so many musicians are releasing their own music, and that jazz is not being supported by the major labels much anymore. I guess I would consider the current state to be bad, but I don't think that your selections are bad.

Now that I have my new ISP, I have gone over to AccuJazz to check it out. I see that it has a Vibes Channel. This is great news for me, because I tried to set up a Vibes Channel at Pandora, but it didn't work out satisfactorily.

• 1 year later...