AAJ - BNBB collaboration?

mikeweil

I just received this e-mail from AAJ:

Dear Member,

I just wanted to let you know that we?ve made several changes to the All About Jazz Bulletin Board since coming back online in September.

We?ve re-organized the home page ( http://forums.allaboutjazz.com ) and recently added two forums: 'New to Jazz Have a Question?' and 'Get The Word Out' (for members who have something promote: CD, book, website, concert).

We?re very excited to announce a brand new forum called 'Catching Up With...' where we invite guest jazz musicians to field questions and talk about their music. We launched this new forum with trumpeter Jeremy Pelt and pianist George Colligan. If you have a question for either one of these gentlemen, click 'Catching Up With...' then click their respective forum link.

Looking to the future, we plan to bring a steady stream of new guests to the board, we'll further integrate the board with AAJ (the site), and we're talking to Blue Note about bringing their archived threads to our bulletin board.

We'll be back in touch with more news after the New Year.

Until then, have a safe and happy holiday season!

Mike R. / aka xricci

http://forums.allaboutjazz.com

Now whaddaya say ..... :o (red color added by yours truly ...)

Edited by mikeweil

I got this mail too, yesterday.

I guess we don't have to care that much, do we?

We can go over to AAJ and do some search, and the wealth of information from the BNBB will be avaiable again, which is cool, but I guess we'll continue here, won't we? I at least will do so for sure.

ubu

I can appreciate Mike trying to drum up some activity by doing this, but it kind of bothers me. I don't know how I feel about some of my posts being used to help support another site. We probably don't have any ground to stand on since the posts are the property of Blue Note and from a legal point of view, they can probably do whatever they want. It's their property now. Now I know how John Fogerty Feels! ;)

You know, over at Jazz Corner, Lois went though a lot of cost and trouble archiving all of their old posts. After everything was said and done, hardly anyone uses or mentions it. A BBS is really about what is happening now. Archives are fun for reminiscing, but a living board is where it's at. Not a dead one.

A BBS is really about what is happening now. Archives are fun for reminiscing, but a living board is where it's at. Not a dead one.

:tup

This might also lead to the core of AAJ's problems. It seems to be a little bit more lively however. I started to check it out again, maybe twice a week, after several months were I only accidentaly went there.

ubu

"we're talking to Blue Note about bringing their archived threads to our bulletin board."

This means that:

- Blue Note has yet to agree

- The messages will need to be integrated into the current AAJ board. This is much more difficult than it may seem at first sight, because the BNBB was based on a different forum software, and the database was in a great mess. It will take some high technical skill to do this automatically with the complete BNBB content, or they would have to limit themselves to manually copy/paste the most interesting threads into the AAJ board.

It would be great to have these old topics back. But I don't think it will have an incidence on the current discussions, which are now more interesting here than on the AAJ board.

Edited by Claude

I have no problem with this. There was some good information in those old BNBB posts, which I'd like to be able to access. As far as reading old posts, no interest, but people did post some very good information. And I'd like to be able to access it.

This obviously means that there will never be a new BNBB. Hasta la vista BNNBB.

Due to the erratic character of much of the BNBB's contents, I think it would be a completely manual process of inserting desirable threads into the AAJ forums anyway.

Personally, I think this will never happen. What would Blue Note's interest in this be? A wealth of 'Once again you've managed to disappoint me with the latest batch of re-releases'-type threads would possibly not improve the profile of the company... but, who knows?

Guys,

Archiving the Blue Note threads wasn’t my idea—it was suggested by some ex-BNBB members. I was told that there was valued information worth archiving, so I pitched the idea to Blue Note. Some of the guys who made the suggestions are at AAJ, others are on now posting on Organissimo.

If most of you are saying that these threads aren’t worthwhile or are in a format I can’t parse and import, fine, maybe I shouldn’t be bothered.

And true, I’m trying to build back traffic (AAJ’s active member count was on par with the numbers here just prior to the September crash: 45-55). The crash and the fallout from the recent bannings hasn’t helped board attendance, but I think it’s just a matter of time before AAJ gets back on track.

Mike

I would guess that there are probably 50 to 100 (or maybe more like 200, at most) threads worth saving from the old BNBB.

80% to 905% of what went on there probably isn't worth saving, or ever looking at again. But if I could go back and cherry-pick specific threads, I'm sure I could find a bunch that would be great to have access too.

Mike, all joking aside about threads-run-amok, there were a number of valuable threads containing biographical/discographical information, etc.--I just don't know how much time & effort it would take to pick & choose the ones that might be worth importing.

Well put.

One thing to consider, hardbop is foaming at the mouth over this, so do you really want to disappoint him Mike? ;)