133 replies to this topic

#1 Hardbopjazz

Hardbopjazz

Dr. Funkenstein

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:25 PM

For those Sam Rivers fans, there will be a Mosaic released this November. It will cover his Studio Rivbea days of the 1970s. This should be a nice set. It will contain a lot of his private recordings he made at the loft. This was mentioned by both Sam Rivers and Michael Cuscuna at the Sam Rivers concert Friday night.

#2 JSngry

JSngry

While logic makes its demands, emotion lends its voice

• 47,053 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:28 PM

Studio Rivbea? As in unreleased live recordings?

#3 Hardbopjazz

Hardbopjazz

Dr. Funkenstein

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:33 PM

I would have to say live recordings since that was what that club was all about.

#4 gslade

gslade

Groove Merchant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:40 PM

:excited:
glance over at my check book
:crazy:

Yes I am sure I can sell something else
If I remember correctly they played some of the unreleased material
a couple of years ago on Sam's birthday on a radio broadcast out of NY
I remember thinking at the time "I wish they would release this stuff"

Great news

#5 Hardbopjazz

Hardbopjazz

Dr. Funkenstein

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:42 PM

:excited:
glance over at my check book
:crazy:

Yes I am sure I can sell something else
If I remember correctly they played some of the unreleased material
a couple of years ago on Sam's birthday on a radio broadcast out of NY
I remember thinking at the time "I wish they would release this stuff"

Great news

November is a half a year away, you can start saving.

Edited by Hardbopjazz, 14 May 2010 - 11:47 PM.

#6 JSngry

JSngry

• 47,053 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:49 PM

I would have to say live recordings since that was what that club was all about.

Well, yeah, but "Studio Rivbea days" could be taken literally (although then "nights" would probably be even more accurate...) or as a designation of a general "period", in which case there's still plenty of previously released studio material that would make a good set as well.

But make no mistake, unreleased live stuff is more than fine by me!

#7 BFrank

BFrank

Dr. Funkenstein

• Members
  • 6,166 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:05 AM

Very interesting. Thanks for the heads up. :tup

#8 papsrus

papsrus

Super Bad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,826 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:44 AM

Very nice.

#9 sidewinder

sidewinder

Groovissimo!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,236 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:08 AM

Great news ! Never heard any of the Rivbea stuff but this set will be a nice one to go with the big box. Wonder what happened to that extra Strata-East material that Charles Tolliver mentioned might be up for issue on Mosaic select some years ago (it was mentioned at a London Fest interview).

Edited by sidewinder, 15 May 2010 - 01:10 AM.

#10 David Ayers

David Ayers

Dr. Funkenstein

• Members
  • 5,039 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 01:33 AM

Reinier told us in another thread that we shouldn't be expecting too many or even any new Selects in the future - I wonder what form this will take? There are lots of unissued trio tapes, according to the discography, and of course surely lots that don't make it on to the discography. My guess is this will be trio stuff, but equally there could be lots of interesting sit-ins...

I guess the material will be drawn from the sessions marked as 'Rivbea archival recordings' on Rick Lopez' sessionography: http://www.bb10k.com/RIVERS.disc.html

Edited by David Ayers, 15 May 2010 - 01:38 AM.

#11 B. Goren.

B. Goren.

Super Bad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,073 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:19 AM

For those Sam Rivers fans, there will be a Mosaic released this November. It will cover his Studio Rivbea days of the 1970s. This should be a nice set. It will contain a lot of his private recordings he made at the loft. This was mentioned by both Sam Rivers and Michael Cuscuna at the Sam Rivers concert Friday night.

Tom, you've made my day. Thanks.

#12 Hardbopjazz

Hardbopjazz

Dr. Funkenstein

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:38 AM

Reinier told us in another thread that we shouldn't be expecting too many or even any new Selects in the future - I wonder what form this will take? There are lots of unissued trio tapes, according to the discography, and of course surely lots that don't make it on to the discography. My guess is this will be trio stuff, but equally there could be lots of interesting sit-ins...

I guess the material will be drawn from the sessions marked as 'Rivbea archival recordings' on Rick Lopez' sessionography: http://www.bb10k.com/RIVERS.disc.html

It might be the trio music with Dave Holland and Barry Altschul. Sam said he privately recroded a lot of the stuff that went on in the Studio Rivbea club/loft. He went on to discuss the trio and how he caught a ton of flack from the black musicians for hiring two white musicians. In fact Barry was at the concert and came up on the stage and said a few words. Sam said he played with Barry and Dave since they were the only two who followed what he was writing. No one else listen to him.

Edited by Hardbopjazz, 17 May 2010 - 06:53 PM.

#13 David Ayers

David Ayers

Dr. Funkenstein

• Members
  • 5,039 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 07:47 AM

It might be the trio music with Dave Holland and Barry Altschul. Sam said he priately recroded a lot of the stuff that went on in the Studio Rivbea club/loft. He went on to discuss the trio and how he caught a ton of flack from the black musicians for hiring two white musicians. In fact Barry was at the concert and came up on the stage and said a few words. Sam said he played with Barry and Dave since they were the only two who followed what he was writing. No one else listen to him.

If your guess is correct that's very promising! Could cause further ructions over in the Dave Holland thread... ;)

#14 John L

John L

Funkateer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:16 AM

Sounds good! :excited:

#15 Kyo

Kyo

Supa Groover

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:42 AM

Sounds good! :excited:

Indeed! :tup

#16 paul secor

paul secor

Groovissimo!

• Members
  • 20,251 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 08:49 AM

Great news! I heard the Rivers/Holland/Altschul trio play one evening - wonderful memory. A reissue of Rivbea material will find a welcome place in my home.

#17 Hardbopjazz

Hardbopjazz

Dr. Funkenstein

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:49 AM

It might be the trio music with Dave Holland and Barry Altschul. Sam said he priately recroded a lot of the stuff that went on in the Studio Rivbea club/loft. He went on to discuss the trio and how he caught a ton of flack from the black musicians for hiring two white musicians. In fact Barry was at the concert and came up on the stage and said a few words. Sam said he played with Barry and Dave since they were the only two who followed what he was writing. No one else listen to him.

If your guess is correct that's very promising! Could cause further ructions over in the Dave Holland thread... ;)

It's no guess. Sam blurted this out. His daughter said "Be quite Dad. Michael Cuscuna and I still are working on the liner notes and some legal stuff." Sam called Cuscuna up on stage and said tell them (meaning the audience). Michael said yes it is happening and he was shooting for a November release, that is if Sam finishes what needs for the booklet. His daughter then said, I have what you need back at the hotel.

Edited by Hardbopjazz, 17 May 2010 - 06:54 PM.

#18 mjzee

mjzee

Funktastic!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:57 AM

Great news! I heard the Rivers/Holland/Altschul trio play one evening - wonderful memory. A reissue of Rivbea material will find a welcome place in my home.

Indeed. I heard them at SUNY Binghamton fall 1973. Very intense, wonderful music. As I recall, it was one continuous improvisation that was nearing 2 hours...when, in the lobby of the building, right outside the concert hall, there was a shooting (a murder!). The alarms sounded and the building was evacuated. As we stood outside the building, I heard one person say to another, "that was the only way that concert could have ended."

#19 save

save

Master of the Groove!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,301 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:59 AM

This is great news! Yay!

#20 CJ Shearn

CJ Shearn

Funkateer

• Members
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 11:56 AM

Indeed. I heard them at SUNY Binghamton fall 1973. Very intense, wonderful music. As I recall, it was one continuous improvisation that was nearing 2 hours...when, in the lobby of the building, right outside the concert hall, there was a shooting (a murder!). The alarms sounded and the building was evacuated. As we stood outside the building, I heard one person say to another, "that was the only way that concert could have ended."

Really? a shooting? I'm a Bing alum from 2005. Sounds like it will be a cool set.

#21 jazzbo

jazzbo

Just a Lucky So and So

• Members
  • 29,346 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for the headsup!

This is one of the most interesting presentations of an announcement from Mosaic yet! :)

#22 sidewinder

sidewinder

Groovissimo!

• Members
  • 21,236 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 02:31 PM

Really? a shooting? I'm a Bing alum from 2005. Sounds like it will be a cool set.

Was in Binghamton a few months ago - seemed to me a fairly peaceful and laid-back place and surely one of the more unlikely places in the US to encounter a murder. Nice town !

Edited by sidewinder, 15 May 2010 - 02:32 PM.

#23 clifford_thornton

clifford_thornton

Groovissimo!

• Members
  • 11,823 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 03:18 PM

Sweet, that will be cool. Hope some of the RivBea Orchestra material makes it in as well.

#24 mjzee

mjzee

Funktastic!!

• Members
  • 4,228 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 04:20 PM

Was in Binghamton a few months ago - seemed to me a fairly peaceful and laid-back place and surely one of the more unlikely places in the US to encounter a murder. Nice town !

It was in the lobby of the Social Hall (is that building still there?). A memorial plaque was put up there in honor of the deceased.

Yeah, Binghamton (the Triple Cities, actually) is a great place. Economically depressed, though.

#25 ghost of miles

ghost of miles

Groovissimo!

• Members
  • 12,192 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:05 PM

Excellent news! Makes me want to go home and break out both the Wildflowers set and the previous Rivers Mosaic... I'm already all ginned up for the Jamal and the Carter-Bradford.

#26 .:.impossible

.:.impossible

Funktastic!!

• Members
  • 4,620 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:08 PM

Wow! This is great news! I was fortunate enough to hear Sam Rivers play about ten years ago. He shattered expectations. I drove six hours to hear him.

#27 Pete C

Pete C

Funkateer

• Members
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:12 PM

I frequented Rivbea in 1974 & '75, usually on weekends. The usual setup was that there would be two groups, and more than half the time Rivers' group was one of them. It was mostly the trio, but sometimes it was augmented by Warren Smith on vibes and percussion, and sometimes other extended groups, including Winds of Manhattan. Those were the days. The first time I saw Arthur Blythe was at Rivbea, as a guest with Frank Lowe (introduced as "Black Arthur"). The first time I saw David Murray was there too, a group led by Sunny Murray. I saw Braxton with Holland, Altschul & Wheeler. And Charles Tyler with the vastly underrated Earl Cross...

#28 tranemonk

tranemonk

Groove Merchant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,852 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 05:43 PM

I'm not that familiar with the music which would be on this set... If I was going to purchase one CD to get a taste of what it's like, what would you recommend??

thanks

#29 JSngry

JSngry

• 47,053 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:01 PM

Without knowing what's going to be on the set, that's kind of hard to answer, but this one is a good document of where Rivers was at at the beginning of the period in question:

Posted Image

#30 jazzbo

jazzbo

Just a Lucky So and So

• Members
  • 29,346 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 06:16 PM

Wow! This is great news! I was fortunate enough to hear Sam Rivers play about ten years ago. He shattered expectations. I drove six hours to hear him.

I saw him around that time frame, with a local quartet. SoulStream was there too. A night I'll never forget.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users