Sam Rivers Mosaic this November

For those Sam Rivers fans, there will be a Mosaic released this November. It will cover his Studio Rivbea days of the 1970s. This should be a nice set. It will contain a lot of his private recordings he made at the loft. This was mentioned by both Sam Rivers and Michael Cuscuna at the Sam Rivers concert Friday night.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:excited:

glance over at my check book

:crazy:

Yes I am sure I can sell something else

If I remember correctly they played some of the unreleased material

a couple of years ago on Sam's birthday on a radio broadcast out of NY

I remember thinking at the time "I wish they would release this stuff"

Great news

:excited:

glance over at my check book

:crazy:

Yes I am sure I can sell something else

If I remember correctly they played some of the unreleased material

a couple of years ago on Sam's birthday on a radio broadcast out of NY

I remember thinking at the time "I wish they would release this stuff"

Great news

November is a half a year away, you can start saving.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Studio Rivbea? As in unreleased live recordings?

I would have to say live recordings since that was what that club was all about.

Well, yeah, but "Studio Rivbea days" could be taken literally (although then "nights" would probably be even more accurate...) or as a designation of a general "period", in which case there's still plenty of previously released studio material that would make a good set as well.

But make no mistake, unreleased live stuff is more than fine by me!

Great news ! Never heard any of the Rivbea stuff but this set will be a nice one to go with the big box. Wonder what happened to that extra Strata-East material that Charles Tolliver mentioned might be up for issue on Mosaic select some years ago (it was mentioned at a London Fest interview).

Edited by sidewinder

Reinier told us in another thread that we shouldn't be expecting too many or even any new Selects in the future - I wonder what form this will take? There are lots of unissued trio tapes, according to the discography, and of course surely lots that don't make it on to the discography. My guess is this will be trio stuff, but equally there could be lots of interesting sit-ins...

I guess the material will be drawn from the sessions marked as 'Rivbea archival recordings' on Rick Lopez' sessionography: http://www.bb10k.com/RIVERS.disc.html

Edited by David Ayers

For those Sam Rivers fans, there will be a Mosaic released this November. It will cover his Studio Rivbea days of the 1970s. This should be a nice set. It will contain a lot of his private recordings he made at the loft. This was mentioned by both Sam Rivers and Michael Cuscuna at the Sam Rivers concert Friday night.

Tom, you've made my day. Thanks.

Reinier told us in another thread that we shouldn't be expecting too many or even any new Selects in the future - I wonder what form this will take? There are lots of unissued trio tapes, according to the discography, and of course surely lots that don't make it on to the discography. My guess is this will be trio stuff, but equally there could be lots of interesting sit-ins...

I guess the material will be drawn from the sessions marked as 'Rivbea archival recordings' on Rick Lopez' sessionography: http://www.bb10k.com/RIVERS.disc.html

It might be the trio music with Dave Holland and Barry Altschul. Sam said he privately recroded a lot of the stuff that went on in the Studio Rivbea club/loft. He went on to discuss the trio and how he caught a ton of flack from the black musicians for hiring two white musicians. In fact Barry was at the concert and came up on the stage and said a few words. Sam said he played with Barry and Dave since they were the only two who followed what he was writing. No one else listen to him.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

It might be the trio music with Dave Holland and Barry Altschul. Sam said he priately recroded a lot of the stuff that went on in the Studio Rivbea club/loft. He went on to discuss the trio and how he caught a ton of flack from the black musicians for hiring two white musicians. In fact Barry was at the concert and came up on the stage and said a few words. Sam said he played with Barry and Dave since they were the only two who followed what he was writing. No one else listen to him.

If your guess is correct that's very promising! Could cause further ructions over in the Dave Holland thread... ;)

It might be the trio music with Dave Holland and Barry Altschul. Sam said he priately recroded a lot of the stuff that went on in the Studio Rivbea club/loft. He went on to discuss the trio and how he caught a ton of flack from the black musicians for hiring two white musicians. In fact Barry was at the concert and came up on the stage and said a few words. Sam said he played with Barry and Dave since they were the only two who followed what he was writing. No one else listen to him.

If your guess is correct that's very promising! Could cause further ructions over in the Dave Holland thread... ;)

It's no guess. Sam blurted this out. His daughter said "Be quite Dad. Michael Cuscuna and I still are working on the liner notes and some legal stuff." Sam called Cuscuna up on stage and said tell them (meaning the audience). Michael said yes it is happening and he was shooting for a November release, that is if Sam finishes what needs for the booklet. His daughter then said, I have what you need back at the hotel.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Great news! I heard the Rivers/Holland/Altschul trio play one evening - wonderful memory. A reissue of Rivbea material will find a welcome place in my home.

Indeed. I heard them at SUNY Binghamton fall 1973. Very intense, wonderful music. As I recall, it was one continuous improvisation that was nearing 2 hours...when, in the lobby of the building, right outside the concert hall, there was a shooting (a murder!). The alarms sounded and the building was evacuated. As we stood outside the building, I heard one person say to another, "that was the only way that concert could have ended."

Great news! I heard the Rivers/Holland/Altschul trio play one evening - wonderful memory. A reissue of Rivbea material will find a welcome place in my home.

Indeed. I heard them at SUNY Binghamton fall 1973. Very intense, wonderful music. As I recall, it was one continuous improvisation that was nearing 2 hours...when, in the lobby of the building, right outside the concert hall, there was a shooting (a murder!). The alarms sounded and the building was evacuated. As we stood outside the building, I heard one person say to another, "that was the only way that concert could have ended."

Really? a shooting? I'm a Bing alum from 2005. Sounds like it will be a cool set.

Really? a shooting? I'm a Bing alum from 2005. Sounds like it will be a cool set.

Was in Binghamton a few months ago - seemed to me a fairly peaceful and laid-back place and surely one of the more unlikely places in the US to encounter a murder. Nice town !

Edited by sidewinder

Was in Binghamton a few months ago - seemed to me a fairly peaceful and laid-back place and surely one of the more unlikely places in the US to encounter a murder. Nice town !

It was in the lobby of the Social Hall (is that building still there?). A memorial plaque was put up there in honor of the deceased.

Yeah, Binghamton (the Triple Cities, actually) is a great place. Economically depressed, though.