Dorham/Whistle Stop

ok ok ok , my 1st BN album ever.

i orig had the mcmaster cd, now, is that real stereo, or is that mcmaster in mono. i know, its not the electronically rechanneled for liberty, on cd, is it?

so i guess the original 1st press is mono only, with no true stereo tape made? (too early?)

what i got today is the liberty electronically rechanneled one. its not one you see much. both original and even liberty issue- so instead of waiting another 4 yrs or paying 427.98 for it, i got the elec. rechanneled liberty, which i am now listening to w/ the mono switch on. the horn solos are panned pretty hard, so the mono button is doing the trick, even though i think philly joe becomes slightly quieter.

anyways i love this lp, my 1st introduction to blue note records and hank mobley and interesting reid miles covers and the whole deal

wait wait i had a 1st pressing lp of no room for squares before that but i remmber when i fonud this used cd it started me into actual blue note collecting, n stuf

i orig had the mcmaster cd, now, is that real stereo, or is that mcmaster in mono. i know, its not the electronically rechanneled for liberty, on cd, is it?

so i guess the original 1st press is mono only, with no true stereo tape made? (too early?)

what i got today is the liberty electronically rechanneled one. its not one you see much. both original and even liberty issue- so instead of waiting another 4 yrs or paying 427.98 for it, i got the elec. rechanneled liberty, which i am now listening to w/ the mono switch on. the horn solos are panned pretty hard, so the mono button is doing the trick, even though i think philly joe becomes slightly quieter.

anyways i love this lp, my 1st introduction to blue note records and hank mobley and interesting reid miles covers and the whole deal

wait wait i had a 1st pressing lp of no room for squares before that but i remmber when i fonud this used cd it started me into actual blue note collecting, n stuf

Listen more carefully. The record is true stereo.

When Liberty issued stereo versions of titles from the Blue Note catalog that had previously only been vaialable in mono, they erroneously labelled many of them as "rechanneled" when they were in fact true stereo. A good rule of thumb - anything above 1562 is recorded in true stereo, and plays stereo regardless of the information on the jacket.

Opus 69 (Calgary)

Aha - Know Calgary well but not that store. Must have closed years ago..

Might have been inside Calgary University. I bought two albums during my visit, one from the university shop, though if my memory serves me correctly, that was The Bill Evans Album. Very typical of the era, with semi-psychedelic cover and Evans on electric piano part of the time!

519evnrnKtL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Listen more carefully. The record is true stereo.

When Liberty issued stereo versions of titles from the Blue Note catalog that had previously only been vaialable in mono, they erroneously labelled many of them as "rechanneled" when they were in fact true stereo. A good rule of thumb - anything above 1562 is recorded in true stereo, and plays stereo regardless of the information on the jacket.

That is very useful information. Thank you.

Both. Depended on the track/arrangement/Alfred. As usual on dates.

I find it very difficult to believe that in the tape era complete performances weren't always recorded and board fades were executed during the mastering. The only situation I can imagine is a really good take getting butchered at the end and Alfred ordering a fade during the take. Or maybe union rules resulting in a time crunch necessitating incomplete takes. Or were there many instances where no one could come up with an ending for a tune so they decided it would be faded out?

I know since he is one of the Five Wise Men I should defer to Chuck but I would bet dollars to donuts that at least 9 out of 10 fades were done during mastering.

• 3 years later...

I have been listening to the RVG of Whistle Stop. At about 1:48 of "Sunrise in Mexico" there is a weird moment where it seems like the phase changes or that the levels for the rhythm section changes; it's subtle, but noticeable when you are listening closely. Years ago, someone burned the 90s McMaster of this album for me. That moment is not present on that version from my listening. Is what I am hearing a defect in my disc (or batch of discs), something inherent in the tapes, an issue brought about during the RVG remaster, or something else? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Thanks Xybert. Since the issue is not present on the 1994 Conn., I wonder if it is indicative of a) a manufacturing defect or b) damage to the master tapes between the issuance of the1994 Conn. and the issuance of the RVG in 1999.

Is Whistle Stop scheduled to be issued as an SHM in Japan? It would be interesting to determine whether this is a source issue or quality control issue.