free jazz album i got, is this a good one?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent album. I don't think I'd call anything of Murray's free jazz, but it's not straight-ahead either.

Really? A fair amount of his early material is pretty "out," as far as I'm concerned. 3-D Family, on Hat Hut, a side of William Hooker's first LP with Mark Miller on bass; the wide-open group with Crouch... for me, this is "free," if not of the same ilk as Albert Ayler, Frank Wright, the Actuel LPs, or whatever. The late 1970s were different times from the late '60s or the '90s.

According to this discography, he released 84 albums as a leader or co-leader from 1976-2000. That equates to a new album every 15.5 weeks, not every two weeks.

http://go54321.tripod.com/dm/davidmurray.html

Still a ridiculous clip! At any rate, he was (and still is) considered a poseur by the jazz cognescenti I used to hang with at J&R. Many of these were musicians, btw.

over-recorded maybe.

Let the "jazz cognescenti" whoever they may be and by whatever criteria they have been selected think what they like. I suspect that for the many folk David Murray's recordings and concerts have been anything but a pose. An exciting and talented player and composer to my ears (but then I don't hang at J&R)