Grant Green, The Latin Bit

Tom 1960

51lu8lusFLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm presently listening to this album on lala.com and was wondering what others thought of this date? Right now I own close to a dozen releases by Green and thought this might be my next purchase. I was sort of surprised by reading online some of the lackluster reviews for this session. It really doesn't sound like a bad date. What do you think?

If you have 12 already making it a bakers dozen won't hurt.

My feeling is you can't have too much Grant Green but I wouldn't put it in his top five or ten releases. Fun date and unfairly bashed but not essential.

I've never been a fan of this one or of "Goin' West" or "Feelin' The Spirit". All feel gimmicky to me, like product. Assuming you have the core 1961-1965 Blue Notes and "His Majesty King Funk" on Verve, I'd recommend "Iron City", a fine trio date (John Patton, Ben Dixon) which has floated around on a few labels through the years. Past that, the later live Blue Notes (Alive, Lighthouse, Mozambique) are fun. If you need more yet, "Carryin' On", "Green is Beautiful" and "Visions", the earliest 70's Blue Notes, have their moments, though they likely are selling for more than they're worth. The studio stuff past 1971 is dreck, and to be avoided.

When his version of "Mama Inez" came on from the "PA system" inside Mole Jazz during one of my shopping sprees there in the 90s I just had to find out what it was. Not wanting to invest into a CD at that time this set me off on a hunt for an (affordable) vinyl copy, but eventually I settled for a CD some time later and haven't regretted it. Jazz is all about fun and entertainment and as long as it swings - to heck with essential, as somebody else said above. (In many cases "essential" is a question of "one man's meat is another man's poison" anyway, or waaaay too much intellectual put-on in what one is "supposed" to listen to instead of just following one's very personal taste)

Edited by Big Beat Steve

51lu8lusFLL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm presently listening to this album on lala.com and was wondering what others thought of this date? Right now I own close to a dozen releases by Green and thought this might be my next purchase. I was sort of surprised by reading online some of the lackluster reviews for this session. It really doesn't sound like a bad date. What do you think?

I think I've recommended it here just about every year since 2003, in various threads. To me, it's underrated, and I don't buy that it was gimmicky or whatever. Grant was "on" that day, imo, and got a particularly good tone. I don't believe in "essential", either. To me, it swings like crazy.

My feeling is you can't have too much Grant Green but I wouldn't put it in his top five or ten releases. Fun date and unfairly bashed but not essential.

I've never been a fan of this one or of "Goin' West" or "Feelin' The Spirit". All feel gimmicky to me, like product.

Feeling the Spirit was my first Grant Green and I loved his soloing and tone on that album so much I became a fanatic so it will always have a place for me.

Thanks for the input fellas. I had the opportunity to listen to The Latin Bit in it's entirety last night and it works for me. I honestly wasn't expecting the Latin Bit to be groundbreaking or rival any of his other outstanding dates. It's just a fun session. That's good enough for me. It happens to be available from yourmusic for 6.99 and it has now moved to the top of the list in my queue. I'm also interested in looking up Felser's recommendations for Grant's live dates. I'm going to check them out in the coming days seeing that there available for one free listen at lala.com.

Feelin' the Spirit is wonderful. Goin' West? Not me.

I agree with both sides of this. Goin' West sounds desultory - there's a reason it was in the can until 1969.

I'll bet Grant and Alfred Lion had an interesting relationship. These 3 genre albums, taken together, are really cool - they're concept albums, before the term was popular.

Count me as a big fan of Goin' West, less so of Latin Bit.

Truth be told, Grant always plays how Grant plays (within a certain variance). So the real variable for me on Grant sides is sidemen, particularly rhythm sections, and how they do what they do. Herbie vs Johnny Acea? Full props to both, but...

I'm pretty much w/TTK on this one. Nice album, but not in any way a "go-to" Grant for me. But I'd not get rid of it either.

I was grooving this morning to Sonny Rollins doing "Rosita's Best Friend" (from Reel Life), and I thought of this thread. Wouldn't it be great to compile all of Sonny's calypso/West Indian tunes into one album and give it a theme, ala The Latin Bit? Sonny could be dressed on the cover in some traditional costume...it would be a hoot!

I've never been a fan of this one or of "Goin' West" or "Feelin' The Spirit". All feel gimmicky to me, like product.

Feeling the Spirit was my first Grant Green and I loved his soloing and tone on that album so much I became a fanatic so it will always have a place for me.

In my opinion "Feelin' the Spirit" makes me really feel that they were feelin' it and it may be my FAVORITE Green title. Hancock kills on this one, and the tambourine is a perfect addition to the mood and the feel.

Feelin' the Spirit is my favorite Green album besides Talkin' About; i don't really hear it as a concept album - meaning, unlike with The Latin Bit i wouldn't notice a concept if i didn't know, also one of my favorite Hancock performances ... haven't heard Goin' West yet; the Latin Bit took me some getting used to but by now i greatly enjoy it, Green plays great on it, the setting doesn't really bother me anymore and if he liked having it around...